Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Awesome thanks again @Atom80 :) Another UK retailer has it listed as April 19th but I've submitted by email on the OCUK page so I get notified when it becomes available instead of pre-ordering just in case.

Do you anticipate stock issues in terms of a delay if you didn't pre-order?

Hi Mark - some have it listed on the 19th as they "expect" stock to land into distribution on the 16th - so technically that was possible when products were switched on, on the 3rd April.

FHD version - here already, on shelf, and ready to fulfill the pre-orders that have accumulated since the 3rd.

UHD version, not here yet, pre-orders therefore cant be shipped out until stock arrives, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

We will update ETA when we have firmer date, delay simply caused by disruption to the 4K panel supply chain, but that's sorted and goods in production as we speak.

OCUK will be receiving UHD version, as part of our first delivery of stock.... as of today, we will be delivering sufficient qty of each product to ful-fill the pre-orders - but obviously we cannot measure how many people are waiting to "pull the trigger" when the stock is actually available.....

We also appreciate that placing a pre-order for a high ticket item,, and then waiting isn't do-able for many people.

Hope that helps in some way,,,,, but probably not really !

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi Mark - some have it listed on the 19th as they "expect" stock to land into distribution on the 16th - so technically that was possible when products were switched on, on the 3rd April.

FHD version - here already, on shelf, and ready to fulfill the pre-orders that have accumulated since the 3rd.

UHD version, not here yet, pre-orders therefore cant be shipped out until stock arrives, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

We will update ETA when we have firmer date, delay simply caused by disruption to the 4K panel supply chain, but that's sorted and goods in production as we speak.

OCUK will be receiving UHD version, as part of our first delivery of stock.... as of today, we will be delivering sufficient qty of each product to ful-fill the pre-orders - but obviously we cannot measure how many people are waiting to "pull the trigger" when the stock is actually available.....

We also appreciate that placing a pre-order for a high ticket item,, and then waiting isn't do-able for many people.

Hope that helps in some way,,,,, but probably not really !

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

That's understandable and clears things up! I was torn between the FHD/UHD models but think I'm going to wait for the UHD. I have had a Dell XPS 9560 at work for the last year (4K model) and even at 200% scaling I thought it looked great - and it was nice to have a bit more screen real estate when video editing.

I no longer have a desktop PC (which was my gaming option) hence my interest in the Aero 15X which will act as both my video editing/internet browsing computer but also be powerful enough so I can game on it. 144Hz on the FHD would be great but at the level I play games, I think running everything at 60FPS will be more than enough.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
That's understandable and clears things up! I was torn between the FHD/UHD models but think I'm going to wait for the UHD. I have had a Dell XPS 9560 at work for the last year (4K model) and even at 200% scaling I thought it looked great - and it was nice to have a bit more screen real estate when video editing.

I no longer have a desktop PC (which was my gaming option) hence my interest in the Aero 15X which will act as both my video editing/internet browsing computer but also be powerful enough so I can game on it. 144Hz on the FHD would be great but at the level I play games, I think running everything at 60FPS will be more than enough.

Hope we can deliver in time before you travel..... :)

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
I just bought an aero 15 (7700HQ + 1060), very nice notebook but seems to have a lot of issues.
This is the only place I see a gigabyte rep posting so here goes.

1. Can you please tell me how I can get smart manager to work?
When I try to open smart manager the screen just flashes to a different color profile for a second and then the smart manager UI never actually opens.
To replicate this issue simply clean install windows (in my caase Win 10 enterprise 1709), install the latest software frrom gigabyte, and try to open smart manager - it wont work.

I have tried installing driveres and software from smart update and also from the gigabyte website. I'vee tried smart manager versions 7.2.9 and 7.0.5 multiple times. All have the same probleme (screen flickers and UI does not appear).
I also tried running UnloadSM.exe first then launching GBSMV2.exe (from forum suggestion) - which also does not work.
Am I missing a software dependency of some kind because of the fresh windows install?

You can find countless examples of people posting about this problem:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/872783-gigabyte-smart-manager-cant-open/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytega...ssues_with_smart_manager_on_gigabyte_aero_15/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...5-owners-lounge.804575/page-160#post-10641794
https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=19248.0 (same thing but this guy had a p35)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31316281 (from this very thread but the guy didn't reply)

In a few cases this problem pops up because someone has installed mouse software - but for others including me we have no logitech software installed.
I think most of these people have just given up on the problem and not followed up. Can I get some help from gigabyte herer? Do you guys even know about the problem? I am going crazy ytrying to figure this out.

I am running a completely clean copy of windows. I just want this expensive machine to work witth all the features it was advertised.

2. When I am typing on the keyboard very frequently a key will register twice. This happens to the E, C, A, R, T, keeys and probably others.
If you have noticed typos in my post this is the reason why. Nevermind that some obscure combinations like LALT+LSHIFT+C or whatever don't work, I couldn't care less - but this very basic double-keypress issue basically makes typing impossible.

I have eupdated the keyboard firmware to 3.0.7 via smart updater but that does not help at all.
Is this a hardware problem? Is there any fix at all? Can you guys ship me a new keyboard or something or do I have to return the unit and go laptop shopping again?

To be honest, I ordered 2 aero 15s and I have both sitting in front of me. Both of them have this doublle-keypreses keyboard issue. I was hoping that 1 unit would work properly and I could just send the other one back but I am really disappointed and surpriseed that both have this issue. I want to like this laptop but I am getting the hint they they are defective. I also onnnly did a clean install of windows on one of the units because I am afraid smart manager will also get bricked on the other one.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I just bought an aero 15 (7700HQ + 1060), very nice notebook but seems to have a lot of issues.
This is the only place I see a gigabyte rep posting so here goes.

1. Can you please tell me how I can get smart manager to work?
When I try to open smart manager the screen just flashes to a different color profile for a second and then the smart manager UI never actually opens.
To replicate this issue simply clean install windows (in my caase Win 10 enterprise 1709), install the latest software frrom gigabyte, and try to open smart manager - it wont work.

I have tried installing driveres and software from smart update and also from the gigabyte website. I'vee tried smart manager versions 7.2.9 and 7.0.5 multiple times. All have the same probleme (screen flickers and UI does not appear).
I also tried running UnloadSM.exe first then launching GBSMV2.exe (from forum suggestion) - which also does not work.
Am I missing a software dependency of some kind because of the fresh windows install?

You can find countless examples of people posting about this problem:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/872783-gigabyte-smart-manager-cant-open/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytega...ssues_with_smart_manager_on_gigabyte_aero_15/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...5-owners-lounge.804575/page-160#post-10641794
https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=19248.0 (same thing but this guy had a p35)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31316281 (from this very thread but the guy didn't reply)

In a few cases this problem pops up because someone has installed mouse software - but for others including me we have no logitech software installed.
I think most of these people have just given up on the problem and not followed up. Can I get some help from gigabyte herer? Do you guys even know about the problem? I am going crazy ytrying to figure this out.

I am running a completely clean copy of windows. I just want this expensive machine to work witth all the features it was advertised.

2. When I am typing on the keyboard very frequently a key will register twice. This happens to the E, C, A, R, T, keeys and probably others.
If you have noticed typos in my post this is the reason why. Nevermind that some obscure combinations like LALT+LSHIFT+C or whatever don't work, I couldn't care less - but this very basic double-keypress issue basically makes typing impossible.

I have eupdated the keyboard firmware to 3.0.7 via smart updater but that does not help at all.
Is this a hardware problem? Is there any fix at all? Can you guys ship me a new keyboard or something or do I have to return the unit and go laptop shopping again?

To be honest, I ordered 2 aero 15s and I have both sitting in front of me. Both of them have this doublle-keypreses keyboard issue. I was hoping that 1 unit would work properly and I could just send the other one back but I am really disappointed and surpriseed that both have this issue. I want to like this laptop but I am getting the hint they they are defective. I also onnnly did a clean install of windows on one of the units because I am afraid smart manager will also get bricked on the other one.

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems - where and when were the units purchased?

Smart Manager aside, first thing is keyboards - these need to be replaced for you - are you in position for them to be collected into the repair centre - and if so, the software can be sorted at the same time.

Installing new keyboards is a quick turn-around.

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Unit 1 Magnesium Court Burnley Bridge Industrial Estate Burnley Lancashire England BB12 7BF
Technical Support: 08442449999
Email: [email protected]

Please let us know,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi, sorry to hear of your problems - where and when were the units purchased?

Smart Manager aside, first thing is keyboards - these need to be replaced for you - are you in position for them to be collected into the repair centre - and if so, the software can be sorted at the same time.

Installing new keyboards is a quick turn-around.

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Unit 1 Magnesium Court Burnley Bridge Industrial Estate Burnley Lancashire England BB12 7BF
Technical Support: 08442449999
Email: [email protected]

Please let us know,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Thanks for your quick reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention, I orderered both laptops within the past week from amazon but in the united states, not UK.

I imagine your advice is to either return them or send a repair request to gigabyte in the US?
Is there any estimate about how likely it is that a replacement keyboard would have the same issues?

Associate
Highly likely I'd say. It's an issue with the switches. See the notebookreview forum thread.

You'll probably get it back with fewer issues.

The keyboard hasn't changed for the new aero 15x it seems.

It's a design flaw. They should have changed the keyboard. As the switches means you have to press the keys quite hard as well apparently - which only worsens the chance of a double key press I imagine.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks for your quick reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention, I orderered both laptops within the past week from amazon but in the united states, not UK.

I imagine your advice is to either return them or send a repair request to gigabyte in the US?
Is there any estimate about how likely it is that a replacement keyboard would have the same issues?

Hi margraloc- Replacement keyboard should be checked and 100% correct when you send in for repair. However, because only a week since purchase,you may be able to simply return to Amazon for exchange, please check locally for best, quickest and least inconvenient solution for yourself.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 - any truth to a couple rumours doing the rounds on Reddit that the 4K model of the Aero 15X won’t be available until the end of May?
Why do manufacturers announce laptops and then make it so difficult to get one?!

Hi @ Mark Keiller - our information from HQ on Friday, looked as though we will receive the UHD model (in the UK), end of April - first week of May.

Hi @mrochester - At Gigabyte, again only speaking from a UK perspective - we only range the units that we plan to have arriving prior to, or very soon after the embargo lifting date - in this case 16th April (Monday).

We haven't at the moment therefore, listed all the products that we expect to see arriving in May-June time, as we don't believe its correct to do so. So in essence, the few products we have listed within both Gigabyte and AORUS ranges, are all planned to be here very soon.

We continue to update our partners purchasers, so they can update web-sites accordingly, and also post information in forums if dates and schedules alter significantly.

Hope that clarifies,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi @ Mark Keiller - our information from HQ on Friday, looked as though we will receive the UHD model (in the UK), end of April - first week of May.

Hi @mrochester - At Gigabyte, again only speaking from a UK perspective - we only range the units that we plan to have arriving prior to, or very soon after the embargo lifting date - in this case 16th April (Monday).

We haven't at the moment therefore, listed all the products that we expect to see arriving in May-June time, as we don't believe its correct to do so. So in essence, the few products we have listed within both Gigabyte and AORUS ranges, are all planned to be here very soon.

We continue to update our partners purchasers, so they can update web-sites accordingly, and also post information in forums if dates and schedules alter significantly.

Hope that clarifies,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Awesome looking forward to it!!

Associate
We haven't at the moment therefore, listed all the products that we expect to see arriving in May-June time, as we don't believe its correct to do so.

Any hint as to whats coming in May-June?

Any higher spec Aero 15x's coming?

Working in Kazakhstan at the moment and not due home until end of April, so not wanting to pre-order in case delivery is before I'm home. But would wait until June if something with higher spec than the Aero 15X V8-CF1 is coming out. :D

Associate
OP
I would also like to know this. BTW, pulled the trigger on one just now, will take a while (week or so) to receive it as overseas but will look forward to giving it a shakedown and posting my thoughts and findings! Hopefully, OcUK and DHL do a good job of keeping it in one piece!

Associate
Just asked in the product requests forum - not likely that OCUK will stock the matching RAM.

My next question is, will 16gb RAM in single channel become obsolete before the rest of the laptop does? I don't NEED more than 16gb of RAM now, my desktop only has 16gb, so I am loathed to spend £200... but the single channel concerns me.

Associate
OP
I guess it depends on your usage. I'm under the impression that for 90% of people I suspect dual channel/single channel operation is irrelevant and not something you'd notice in normal operation. For the remaining 10%, lets call them power users, they'd probably want more than 16gb anyway.

In a small way Gigabyte using 2666mhz instead of the 'usual' 2400mhz speed ram offsets the difference but I appreciate thats not the full story. You could always sell me your single 16gb Gskill Sodimm and I'll provide you with Dual channel (2x8gb Sodimms) :p

Soldato
will 16gb RAM in single channel become obsolete before the rest of the laptop does?

No, that'll be the graphics card :p

like what JimboJet says, unless you're a "power user" you're not going to notice any difference. If you are set on having dual channel, I wouldn't worry too much about matching it brand-wise. Just make sure you get the right speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom