Kitchen Trends

Associate
Whats everyone opinion on handle less kitchens?

Trendy or been and gone out of fashion?

Debating whether to go for these or just plain gloss doors with handles

Also, the same for drawers going round the whole kitchen (drawerline i think they are called), old fashioned?

Corner units....are the magic corners/ le mans units any good...or just something that will fall apart in a year.

Soldato
Just go for the style you like rather than trying to predict kitchen trends, try to get something that works with the rest of the house style wise.
One thing that will go out of fashion is the high gloss finish imo but if you like it then go for it.
The corner units you just need to see before you buy, some of them have decent hardware and others seem a bit flimsy so it'll come down to supplier...

Soldato
Whats everyone opinion on handle less kitchens?

Trendy or been and gone out of fashion?

Debating whether to go for these or just plain gloss doors with handles

Also, the same for drawers going round the whole kitchen (drawerline i think they are called), old fashioned?

Corner units....are the magic corners/ le mans units any good...or just something that will fall apart in a year.

Depends what you mean by handleless I guess!

There's two types really, one is just a door with notch out of it and the other is true handleless with a recessed bar and full door with gap at top for hands.

As already said it's about what fits with your house. For me if you stuck a shaker kitchen in a modern haufhaus it would look bizarre. Likewise if you stuck a handleless in a farm conversion... It would also risk looking bizarre or confused.

Our corner units (German) have 25 year parts guarantee, whereas some I've seen only have a few years. Comes down to who you use!

Associate
Just go for the style you like rather than trying to predict kitchen trends, try to get something that works with the rest of the house style wise.
One thing that will go out of fashion is the high gloss finish imo but if you like it then go for it.
The corner units you just need to see before you buy, some of them have decent hardware and others seem a bit flimsy so it'll come down to supplier...
+1 to this.
We ended up with a handleless kitchen, not what I would've picked but I do like it now to be honest.
Unless you're doing the kitchen before selling then put in what you like and enjoy it.

Soldato
Just designing my kitchen and handleless finishes were the first thing we struck off the list. My MiL has them and all they really are is dirt traps. Every mote of dust or particle of food tends to fall into the groove on the (not) handle and it's a pain to keep clean. Easier to keep just the floor clean than floor and dirt-grabbing grooves. Try getting a Roomba to do your units too. :)

Associate
Just designing my kitchen and handleless finishes were the first thing we struck off the list. My MiL has them and all they really are is dirt traps. Every mote of dust or particle of food tends to fall into the groove on the (not) handle and it's a pain to keep clean. Easier to keep just the floor clean than floor and dirt-grabbing grooves. Try getting a Roomba to do your units too. :)
Well if you're going to be practical about it :p
Good points, although ours haven't seemed to bad to keep clean, yet....
Although I've possibly missed a trick with the Roomba idea :(

Soldato
Well if you're going to be practical about it :p
Good points, although ours haven't seemed to bad to keep clean, yet....
Although I've possibly missed a trick with the Roomba idea :(

It's an interesting point, although I've had handleless units in three kitchens, all slightys different designs and never found them more difficult or different to keep clean than any other kitchen, even with a three year old it's not an issue, makes you wonder what people get up to in their kitchens!!

Soldato
Isn't colour something that is very much a 'marmite' trend , that would impact marketability - thinking of high saturation glossy colours eg. blacks an reds

Soldato
The wife and I just went for something we liked rather than trying to get something that was in trend.

I installed our old kitchen around 12 years ago and we're only changing it because we are having the room extended. I'm expecting the new one to be in even longer and since there are very few trends that last that long it isn't something we considered.

Caporegime
We've got the j groove style of handleless doors in our kitchen and while I like the clean look, the true handleless style looks even better (though it's expensive as the manufacture is more complicated).

Some dirt does get caught in the grooves, but it's not as dramatic as the above poster makes it out to be.

Opening the dishwasher and in particular the fridge and freezer was a bit of a pain, but used to that now.

Associate
Opening the dishwasher and in particular the fridge and freezer was a bit of a pain, but used to that now.
I bought a dishwasher that matched my requirements and it also has door open assist. Push at the top of the door and it pops open, it's genius. Also means you can open it when you're carrying stuff and drop it straight in.

Soldato
Presumably everyone with handle-less kitchens has those push-to-open designs?

Can't think what other methods you have for opening doors, as if it was a pull to open, surely you'd just get a handle of some sort.

If push-to-open is the only option, how do you close the doors - as you'd end up with that spring mechanism that needs to be pushed back in? I wasn't too impressed with this design.

Permabanned
Presumably everyone with handle-less kitchens has those push-to-open designs?

Can't think what other methods you have for opening doors, as if it was a pull to open, surely you'd just get a handle of some sort.

If push-to-open is the only option, how do you close the doors - as you'd end up with that spring mechanism that needs to be pushed back in? I wasn't too impressed with this design.

Its just a small recessed lip at the top/bottom/side.

Soldato
I quite like my handleless one but agree shouldn't generally go for fashion as it can die out :p

The handles are recesses at top of cupboard which work fine for me. Tea towels go on oven

Apologies for the kitchen mess :p was making food

9huaKAs.jpg

a92px0X.jpg

Man of Honour
unless you re planning to sell extremely soon, who cares do what you like the look off.
imo they look better but require more cleaning, same with gloss doors.

Associate
I don't really think handles vs. no handles is a massive trend issue. Just like people choose different styles of handles, handleless is really just another one of these styles. In terms of buying a kitchen that won't date quickly, I would avoid brightly coloured high gloss units as they're a bit marmite.

My parents have had corner units in the past and the mechanisms take up so much space! They were sturdy though. Have you considered having the doors to the corner unit like this instead? Gives you easier access to the cupboard without the need for a mechanism.

2hd7h5l.jpg

Man of Honour
I don't know why more units in kitchens don't have more inside them, like the larder rack things, or sqievel shelf's in corner units etc, makes kitchens so much better. Theresa fair few different things you can do these days.

One of these four flours, jars, dried goods etc is so much nicer.

10cu8at.jpg

Back
Top Bottom