Panasonic FZ1000

Soldato
Been offered one of these for £400 inc some extras.

I haven’t had much experience with cameras. I use my iPhone X as point and shoot. I do a lot of hiking / climbing and would like a decent camera. Weight isn’t that important, ease of use is. Having a decent zoom would be nice.

Is this a decent camera for a newbie?

Soldato
At £400 it is a good price for the FZ1000 and as you say you are getting extras with it. There are plenty of cameras you could pick up for £400.

The camera itself has a 1" sensor which should still give you better detailed images than the iPhone X despite the cameras being close to 4 years old. It has a 16x zoom lens on it ranging from f2.8-4.0, so again decent for a 1" sensor.

I don't own the FZ1000 but did look at it about 6 months ago, I have owned other Panasonic cameras though.

I'd suggest you check videos on Youtube and download the manual and read other reviews on the web.

As whether this camera is good for a newbie, yes.

Soldato
Always heard good things about the FZ1000,seems worth it for the price of even knock him down another £50 to make it even better :)

Associate
FWIW, just bought one second hand after uhhmming and aahhing between that and the FZ2000 and FZ330 I asked about a few months ago.

Cost me £370 with a two extra batteries, some ND filters, some UV filters, straps and extra lens cover.

The FZ2000 would likely have cost £250 more and the FZ330 £120-£150 less. I compromised and went for the same 1" sensor as the FZ2000 over the 1/2.3 sensor of the FZ330 and sacrificed the faster 2.8 lens of the FZ330 with the longer zoom (24x vs16x) figuring the larger sensor would allow for a small amount of digital zoom or cropping without any loss of detail.

Hopefully it arrives by week end so I can start playing around. Looking forward to my first "new" camera in about 6 years.

Associate
A quick report back with some questions about the SD card speed in a seperate thread.

So far, very impressed. The camera was in excellent condition with some of the ND and UV lenses unopened. Currently have a Hoya UV filter fitted instead of the K&F UV and the Hoya CIR PL and ND 8 were tested but not fitted. There were also 3 other K&F Concept lenses included but not even opened, a Star -6, Close up +4 and Close up +10. All unused. I assume the Star buts some sort of star shape on sunlight and the closeups are for Macros.

Overall, focus is fast and the menu offers so many options it is bewildering. Still going through everything and trying to set things up on the Aperture, IA and Video modes. Getting 4k video seems to be hidden deep in the menu setting and sometimes I find it and other times look for ages.

The single photos I have taken are excellent so far. Took it for a field test to a school play...failled miserably. I tried to use an auto bracket setting (-0.3, 0, +0.3) and all those photos were blurred. The merge was abysmal. I suspect the SD card was not writing fast enough (see the new thread I will post after typing this and offer some help). Put in a new SD card yesterday and tried a 60 frame burst which all came out and were all very good.

Anyway, very impressed and overwhelmed at the same time. Will continue to practice and learn and set up as time permits but need to be up to speed by middle of next month for our summer holiday.

I can certainly recommend it so far. I will use the Scenario and IA settings though until thoroughly comfortable.

NB

Associate
To get the 4k video, I don't think it's available unless you put the top dial around to movie mode. Pressing the red record button in the other modes seems to record 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom