Shenmue I & II HD just announced.

Caporegime
I wanted to like it, but I couldn't really get in to it either.

It was one of the first 'free roaming' realistic games but there was lots of pointless stuff in there.

Soldato
Great game in its time but things have moved on a lot. If its a direct port, it will feel clunky and tedious compared to todays standards.

Caporegime
Great game in its time but things have moved on a lot. If its a direct port, it will feel clunky and tedious compared to todays standards.

Remastered rather than remade indicates it's just a port.

And in fact it still appears to be in 4:3 - Though I'm guessing that might only be cutscenes and not the actual game.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not too optimistic about this - I have Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast and the controls are very clunky, the minute-to-minute action is very boring, the dialogue is stilted and painful to listen to. It is all adds up to be no fun to play at all. Someone's got to be a pioneer in 3D open world "realistic" games and I can't think of many before Shenmue. As you would expect the open world 'formula', control conventions etc have all been improved a lot since then. These problems could, should, all be improved with this remaster. Judging by the trailer only showing the character running in a straight line (walking and turning was difficult in the original) with the original crap animations and empty world, it might not be improved.

The graphics were the best bit and to be honest, they're 'fine' today on the dreamcast (with a decent cable). The trailer looks like this has not been improved much but I'm not so fussed about this.

Soldato
Shenmue 1 English voice acting was god awful, I liked Shenmue IIs ability to have Jap voice with English subs.
I'll happily play through both games again, as long as I don't have to listen to the English voice.

Soldato
Shenmue 1 English voice acting was god awful, I liked Shenmue IIs ability to have Jap voice with English subs.
I'll happily play through both games again, as long as I don't have to listen to the English voice.

From what I remember that was the only option in Shenmue 2?

I'll be picking this up to finally play through the second one.

Back
Top Bottom