Soldato
I'm looking at purchasing the Panasonic G80/G85 to replace my DSLR (Canon EOS 30D and Tamron 17-50 F2.8) as I've not used it due to it's size and weight.

Currently, I have a LX100 which I use as a carry around compact so looking for something with interchangeable lens. Having looked at a number of APS-C cameras I have decided against any due to the price of the lenses compared to M4/3.

Right now I can get the Panasonic G80 with the lens kit for £650 after the £100 rebate promotion.

In saying this, there is speculation Canon and Nikon will make a great push for their mirrorless ranges and with Photokina this year, I am wondering if I should just wait or make the plunge now? I don't want to invest into an ecosystem only to find that it was the wrong choice.

Soldato
...not used it due to it's size and weight.

In saying this, there is speculation Canon and Nikon will make a great push for their mirrorless ranges and with Photokina this year
If they stick to APS-C sensor then they're still going to need APS-C image circle optics.

And if they make smaller flange back distance to slim down the body then that's going to be further challenge for lens size...
Unless sensor is made smaller, because you don't want light coming from lens hit sensor in too oblique angle.

Soldato
If they stick to APS-C sensor then they're still going to need APS-C image circle optics.

And if they make smaller flange back distance to slim down the body then that's going to be further challenge for lens size...
Unless sensor is made smaller, because you don't want light coming from lens hit sensor in too oblique angle.

Plus those rumours have been floating around for at least ten years and so far we have the nikon 1 series which while interesting has never taken of and the canon m series that finally has some decent bodies but a lens line up so full of holes it makes no sense!

Soldato
Plus those rumours have been floating around for at least ten years and so far we have the nikon 1 series which while interesting has never taken of and the canon m series that finally has some decent bodies but a lens line up so full of holes it makes no sense!
I think Canikon is aiming for 35mm format mirrorless as both have often been eager to kick people up to bigger bodies.
Though they certainly have their worries in also that path:
http://sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-mirrorless-prisoners.html

And Canon really doesn't have much of APS-C mirrorless body selection.
EOS M50 may have EVF, but in controls it's at level of Olympus Pens and below E-M10.

Soldato
I think Canikon is aiming for 35mm format mirrorless as both have often been eager to kick people up to bigger bodies.
Though they certainly have their worries in also that path:
http://sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-mirrorless-prisoners.html

And Canon really doesn't have much of APS-C mirrorless body selection.
EOS M50 may have EVF, but in controls it's at level of Olympus Pens and below E-M10.

I'll believe it when I see it with regards to canikon delivering a full frame mirrorless!

The EOS M5 and M50 are pretty decent mirrorless bodies that perform really well, the lens line up is just dire aside from the 22mm pancake they are all a bit meh or wierd macro lenses with built in lights.

Caporegime
At some point they are going to have to offer full frame mirrorless, if they don't they will pretty much die out as Sony takes up all the market share.

Soldato
At some point they are going to have to offer full frame mirrorless, if they don't they will pretty much die out as Sony takes up all the market share.
And they seem to be the only ones not onboard with this neither has a serious mirrorless offering and it will take them at least a few iterations to get close to Sony.

Soldato
And they seem to be the only ones not onboard with this neither has a serious mirrorless offering and it will take them at least a few iterations to get close to Sony.
If it weren't for that huge basically religious brand image Canon and Nikon would have already lost notable part of market share to makers fully going to digital mirrorless age.
I mean how many of those masses who've bought that big brand Canon/Nikon DSLR kit wouldn't have been better served by mirrorless camera?

Granted for birds/faster animals PDAF has its advantage, but that average user with only kit lens likely doesn't do that much.
While mirrorless design allows other things like lot better integration of video.
Also in case of Micro Four Thirds there's very good flexibility in size/weight.
And then for example Live Bulb/Time of Olympus makes taking long exposure sunset/night photos very easy for novice.
Having that easier more comfortable starting experience is definitely best ways to entice people deeper into some new hobby.

Soldato
OP
Purchased a new Panasonic GX80 with 12-32 kit lens for £309 and a 2 year warranty, its a bargain at this price.

I'll make do with this till Photokina, hopefully there'll be some nice developments in the mirror-less sector.

Back
Top Bottom