Brainwavz B150 or something else?

Associate
Hello,

So my £12.09 JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives IEMs are knackered and need replacing. Having a look at past threads on here the Brainwavz B100 seem to get the most positive reviews but I'm not seeing them on the Rainforest / elsewhere at the moment.

I can see the Brainwavz B150 are available for £54.50, are there any other options I should consider at the £50ish price point?

Cheers

Associate
OP
Just in case anyone considers the B150 in the future then I wouldn't bother, I thought they were terrible. The round the back of the ear loop isn't to my taste and the wire in general is garbage. The sound though is worse, I tried the different tips, nothing made it sound better. It's all subjective I suppose, they seem to be well received elsewhere, not for me though.

Soldato
how long did you try them for? Reason I ask is that it normally takes an hour or two for your brain to adjust to a new sound signature. I remember when I first plugged my HD650's in, I absolutely hated them for the first hour to two hours and then gradually everything came into focus and I was hooked.

To be honest though, considering your previous pair were very bass centric, the B150's would likely sound rather lightweight in comparison as they are are much closer to a reference signature (so much more neutral). Soundwise I would expect something like the Tennmak Piano would be closer to your preference as they have really good bass. Sadly they are also worn over ear so may not be to your liking. The 1More Triple driver is worn straight down and also has decent bass, though not as powerful as the Tennmaks but still a fair bit stronger than the B150's. The 1MORE Triples can be had for around £75 and you get a very nice package for your money.

Associate
OP
Cheers rids57. Yeah I ran them for about an hour or so but nothing seemed to change, as you say they seemed a little light, maybe a bit thin.

I'll take a look at the 1More pair if the MDR-1AM2 don't work out for me.

PM your address if you want the B150s. There's no catch don't worry :D

Last edited:
Soldato
B150's arrived safe and sound - giving them a good run on some Steely Dan (Pretzel Logic) and they sound really good - just goes to show what can be done with a single BA driver.

Thank you again for these @davidmt83, they have already become my preferred IEMs for use with my FiiO X1 DAP because not only do they sound good but they are insanely comfortable and have very good isolation - they are like an in ear version of the HD600 :)

Back
Top Bottom