A *gaming* headset over any other?

Soldato
I am not clued up at all when it comes to audio related stuff but I just assume that gaming headsets don't really offer anything that a good set of all round headphones would. Is this true? I currently have ath ad700 and am considering getting some newer headphones. This is two fold, something with better audio quality whilst having some where the audio is more closed than these. These headphones are very loud outside of me wearing them, the audio escapes. I would like some with a bit more isolation but have no idea where to look other than the usual *gaming* related manufacturers such as Hyper X with the Cloud Alpha or Steel Series with the Arctis pro + dac.

Would either of these headphones be an upgrade on what I have now? I use the onboard audio from an Asus Maximus Hero VIII.

I am not opposed to any open style headphones like I currently have, if they will provide a decent sound.

Soldato
Would either of these headphones be an upgrade on what I have now?
Closed design gaming garbages are nose dive to ground from 10km and continuing burrowing through earth's crust.
Closed design is bad enough challenge/drag for traditional audio makers...
And bling blinged cheap Chinese excrements made for separating gullible people from their moneys are at level of "head in bucket under water" compared to good for binaural sound open headphones.

Now that ATH-AD700 is certainly quite lacking in bass, but in details/sound stage it's at aural god mode/wallhack level with AKG K701/702.
If it's that shy bass which is the problem those AKGs would improve that. (~115£)
Above neutral bass punch K712 already suffers some in distinguishing details if there are low frequency sound simultaneously with details.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCo...]=2661&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=4163&scale=30

Just disable any sound effects/processing if you have them and listen fair first minute of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
There should be clear sense of both direction and also distances.
Some more in here.
https://youtu.be/B8xZp0WPwxs?t=18m51s

While HyperXes are made by honestly trying Takstar with that closed design I doubt there's real sense of distance.
Certainly pretty much none in comparison.
And standard closed garbages have as much sense of distance as when being under water with some sounds just being more muffled than others.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your reply. I kind of figured it would be the case, but as these headphones are quite old I wondered more than anything if the quality of the "gaming" headphones had increased enough yet. Gaming peripherals are the equivalent of the fitness sectors supplements, it's amusing to me in many ways.

I think that is my biggest problem with these current headphones, they do sound good, but they really do lack bass. I think if the difference isn't going to really be huge I may as well stick it out.

Soldato
I think that is my biggest problem with these current headphones, they do sound good, but they really do lack bass. I think if the difference isn't going to really be huge I may as well stick it out.
With ATH-AD700's almost total lack of bass getting better isn't hard...
I think Mad Lust Envy called its bass as good as that of tin can, which is likely very approriate.
That still very neutral AKG702 has 3-5dB more upper bass, but especially lower bass difference is huge 10+ dB.

Back
Top Bottom