State of Decay 2 - Xbox One / PC (Play Anywhere & Game Pass)

Soldato
Hey everyone

I'm surprised that there's not more about this on here. State of Decay 2 releases next week (18th, and it looks pretty damn good. I didn't ever play the first one. I always meant to, but reading up it seems that State of Decay 2 has taken all the things that they did right in the first, fixed the things that they did wrong, and added co-operative play which would be amazing in a game like this!

It's available on the Xbox One and the Microsoft Store on the PC at the moment, and coming to Steam later. It's Play Anywhere enabled, which means you can play it on both PC and console, and you keep your save game across both devices, which is pretty damn awesome! It's also available on Xbox Game Pass, which is the monthly subscription service. If you sign up to Game Pass, you can play it on both the Xbox and the PC as well. It's also £24.99 to buy on the MS store, which really surprised me. I'd have thought it would be at least £40 for the standard and more for the Ultimate.

Standard Edition: (£24.99 on the MS / Xbox Store)

Contains the game and the Prepper’s Pack unlock. Includes the Grasscutter melee weapon, an exclusive vehicle and an assortment of necessary survival supplies and abilities.

Ultimate Edition: (£39.99 on the MS / Xbox Store)

State of Decay 2: Ultimate Edition includes early access to the full game four days before the standard release date, a code for the original State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition*, and codes for two add-on content packs**: Independence Pack and Daybreak Pack.

It's worth adding that you can also play the game four days earlier if you purchase the Ultimate Edition.

Official State of Decay 2 Site

For the price, I'm tempted to buy the full version (CDKeys.com have the Standard Edition for £20.99 and the Ultimate Edition for £36.99 which is pretty good), although I was originally planning on trying it on Game Pass first. There are a few other games that I'd play on that as well, and it finally doesn't matter if friends of mine will be playing on Xbox or on the PC because I can play on both as well!

Soldato
OP
I neglected to mention that the co-op play is cross-platform as well, so Xbox players can play with PC players and vice versa.

Soldato
OP
I was eyeing this up last night. I saw the standard version for 15Euros on one site.

I don't really play online though and it sounds like a big part of the game is this whole linking up with friends to create a community.

I think they're just highlighting this aspect because it was something lacking in the first game that loads of players really wanted in the game. They're pushing it this time around because it's quite a big selling point for them.

Soldato
I posted about this weeks ago but no replies, and like you was a little surprised.

However, I've seen some streams of the game now and I don't think it's going to be that good. There were a few bugs in the streams that I watched, AI getting stuck in doors etc. It will probably be acceptable for the price, especially as a month play cost £1 with last game pass offer and it's pretty much an indie game so I'll set my expectations around that. Think I'll be fed up of it with a couple of days but will give it a go.

Soldato
OP
I posted about this weeks ago but no replies, and like you was a little surprised.

However, I've seen some streams of the game now and I don't think it's going to be that good. There were a few bugs in the streams that I watched, AI getting stuck in doors etc. It will probably be acceptable for the price, especially as a month play cost £1 with last game pass offer and it's pretty much an indie game so I'll set my expectations around that. Think I'll be fed up of it with a couple of days but will give it a go.

Bugs will always be in a game on release. I’d be worried if there weren’t any tbh! Obviously game-breaking bugs can do one though! I’ve watched a few videos and I’m really interested. I’d like to know a bit more about the single player side of things though as that’s how I’d mostly be playing it. I don’t really have much time to commit to playing with others right now.

Soldato
OP
CDKeys price has changed for the Standard edition. It has now gone up to £22.99. I think I'm probably going to Game Pass it for a bit and see, as there are some other games on the Game Pass offer that I'd be interested in giving a go. I no longer have Gold at the moment though. Does anyone know if that's required to be able to play it online on the PC?

Soldato
I'll be using Gamepass for this one, played the original but didn't really get to far, Got caught in the hype of SoT and barely touched it, so if this is good I'll buy it after I've tried.

Associate
CDKeys price has changed for the Standard edition. It has now gone up to £22.99. I think I'm probably going to Game Pass it for a bit and see, as there are some other games on the Game Pass offer that I'd be interested in giving a go. I no longer have Gold at the moment though. Does anyone know if that's required to be able to play it online on the PC?

You don't need gold to play online on the PC.

Soldato
OP
You don't need gold to play online on the PC.

Ok cool, thanks :) The more I think about this, the more I feel that I'll be buying the game outright instead of playing it on Game Pass. There's not a huge amount of other games on the Game Pass list that I want to play right now, and I don't have Gold so a few of the newer releases (like Sea of Thieves) are not any good to me because they rely heavily on being played online.

£24.99 seems a reasonable price for a new release.

Associate
Seems like game pass is the smarter option actually even though I have the ultimate edition pre ordered. I'm very concerned regarding the fact the developers had been asked if it was coming to steam on a live stream and on the actual game it said something about linking steam. The developers failed to comment I think about it.

Soldato
OP
Seems like game pass is the smarter option actually even though I have the ultimate edition pre ordered. I'm very concerned regarding the fact the developers had been asked if it was coming to steam on a live stream and on the actual game it said something about linking steam. The developers failed to comment I think about it.

Why is that a problem though? If it didn’t release on Steam, would that be a major concern? The price point now is pretty good for a game that can be played on both console and Windows, even if it’s through the MS store. I’d imagine that the Steam version might be a little more difficult to implement because of the Play Anywhere functionality. It wouldn’t be able to support that through Steam so perhaps the game needs to be altered just for that and that’s possibly why there’s a delay, or perhaps they simply want to offer it to PC and Xbox users on the same ecosystem first before they involve Steam. At the low price, it’s in their interests to sell it on their platform first before allowing others to take a cut.

Associate
Why is that a problem though? If it didn’t release on Steam, would that be a major concern? The price point now is pretty good for a game that can be played on both console and Windows, even if it’s through the MS store. I’d imagine that the Steam version might be a little more difficult to implement because of the Play Anywhere functionality. It wouldn’t be able to support that through Steam so perhaps the game needs to be altered just for that and that’s possibly why there’s a delay, or perhaps they simply want to offer it to PC and Xbox users on the same ecosystem first before they involve Steam. At the low price, it’s in their interests to sell it on their platform first before allowing others to take a cut.
I have to agree the play anywhere function is more important to me anyway as I have many xbox friends who will be picking this game up also. Probably would be much more difficult to implement yes kind of looked like the steam linking thing that popped up during the livestream was not finished anyway. I would actually prefer to have it on the Microsoft store to be honest as to me probably a minority here but I like it. Still concerned about the steam thing though mainly because they might allow the workshop on that which means easy modding ?.

Soldato
A few reviews out on this now and it looks like the impression I got from watching the streams were correct, apparently a potentially good game ruined by bugs :(

Ohh well glad I changed my mind about pre-ordering and went for the £1 game pass option. I'll still give it a go next week though :)

Soldato
OP
I take no notice of the EuroGamer reviews these days. Recently they've shown that they're nothing but a bunch of opinionated, uneducated morons that don't actually hit on anything useful about the games they're reviewing. Their review is also the only one that says to completely avoid the game. Not surprised there given it's them though. All games have bugs on release. It's how they're handled that makes or breaks a game and studio, so hopefully they roll out fixes asap.

I've got it pre-ordered and arriving by Amazon tomorrow. I ordered the Ultimate Edition. It has the first game which I never played and would like to have a go on sometime, and it also has the earlier unlock of this weekend so I can give it a go before it releases, which may suit me nicely for this weekend, although I'm not sure just yet. I plan on leaving the game unopened so that if I don't get to play this weekend, I can send it back and buy Game Pass instead :) Either way, it's still way under the price of most games released these days at £39.99, and with Amazon Prime I got an additional £2 off for ordering from them so it was a no-brainer for me. £1 more than CDKeys.com but I get a physical copy rather than having to download the entire game. All good :) If I decide to use Game Pass instead, then I will have access to a few other games that I haven't played yet as well. I like having all these options though :)

Soldato
I take no notice of the EuroGamer reviews these days. Recently they've shown that they're nothing but a bunch of opinionated, uneducated morons that don't actually hit on anything useful about the games they're reviewing. Their review is also the only one that says to completely avoid the game. Not surprised there given it's them though. All games have bugs on release. It's how they're handled that makes or breaks a game and studio, so hopefully they roll out fixes asap.

Agree and disagree at the same time. They tend to have bugs yes, especially games like this however this seems to be absolutely riddled with them. Every single preview I listened to / watched have all commented about how buggy the game is. IGN (gamescoop or uk cant remember) said they were sure the version they were playing was old...that's how buggy they felt it was. It's how they're are handled to an extent but if a game is as buggy as this seems then they deserve to be called out on it. Even the higher scores, 8+ have all commented about how it isn't polished and how buggy it is.

Im still torn, I did like the original but I was more tolerable then I am nowadays...might wait for a patch.

Soldato
Their review is also the only one that says to completely avoid the game

But they're far from the only one that mentions game-breaking bugs, and yet you're still confident about pre-ordering it? Sounds like the sort of game that you should pick up later down the line after some significant patching, not playing even earlier than the official release date.

Back
Top Bottom