using 1 or 2 PSUs - Pros/Cons

Soldato
My server is toppling over far too often due to the PSU being maxed out.

I have a number of HDs, plus I was using the thing as a workstation, with plenty of apps so that I could get it to do lots of jobs, leaving my main PC to do its stuff.

But now, I have had to back off a few things, that I would love to have back in the Server, ZIP Drive, Audio, decent GFX and so on.

The PSU in it, is a 1000w Corsair.

Sure, I could go 1200w and that will cure my issues, but the thing is, that I have a few spare PSUs and so what I have done, is toy about and by putting the HDs to another PSU, I can have my extra junk back.

So, I am wondering on a few things...

Obviously, a new 1200w is going to set me back a small fortune. It wil cure my issues of course it will, but then sorting out the dual PSU setup will also sort it out ,and cost me nothing ( I will need to modify the case but there is plenty of room for a second PSU inside ( Lian Li V2100 Plus ) where the 2x80mm fans would be.

But what are the benefits of each? What are the disadvantages? What about power useage? With a system running a 100w and lets say a 500w just for the HDs, will this eat my electricity up?

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Soldato
OP
C: = 120GB SSD
D: = 3TB WD Black
E: = 4TB WD Blue
M: = 2x8TB WD RED ( Mirror )
O: = 2x3TB WD RED ( Mirror )
P: = 2x8TB WD RED ( Mirror )
S: = 2x3TB WD RED ( Mirror )

So 10 Mechanical HDs and one SSD.

VGA was an ATI 7770 but now its a low end card. It does have Onboard VGA but I am using a HDMI KVM
Audio was Xonar x2 but currently has no audio ( apart from the HDMI but its unused )
I did have a BlueRay and a ZIP Drive. I used the Zip for transfering files to/from my Atari computers.
I have also taken out the USB 3 card and USB front bay thing and instead, I am just using a USB cable extention from the back.

Man of Honour
say at spin up (worst case scenario) each hdd uses 24w = 240w...normal usage should be 15w each really
with ssd 5w (at load)
and a 7770 80w tdp
(and the 550w for your quad processors...)
that's just about enough (875w) for your 1kw psu - note that these are at full tilt, and in reality your system is unlikely to pull any of these off together at the same time.

that psu shouldn't really be struggling unless its a multirail psu and you're overloading one of the rails (or it's just old and cranky)

Soldato
say at spin up (worst case scenario) each hdd uses 24w = 240w...normal usage should be 15w each really
Almost all 7200rpm HDDs are more or clearly below 10W with only highest random R/W peak exceeding it.
And 5400 RPM drives are basically well below 5W.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.
The PSU is a corsair fully modular and it is not old... Its not brand new either, but Id say its about a year, give or take, but Im not 100% on that.
It should be able to handle it all anyway, but it simply does not.

Overloading of one rail?
Maybe but I doubt it. I am trying to spread the load across each cable.
It has been mostly ok for the last few days, but I am also cutting back on all extra gadjets like USB, ZIP, DVD, AUDIO and now GFX.
I think that I will swap the PSU over with another one. I am no longer using my AMD 9590 setup that much, although I did start that up and its shutting down with some USB overload message that I have never seen before, so that needs sorting.
But thats got a 1000w PSU in it... Some EVERGREEN or EVERCOOL I think? ( I really should keep track of my stuff )
At least I should find out if its the PSU playing up, or maybe that I need to simply re-manage my cables?

Associate
Almost all 7200rpm HDDs are more or clearly below 10W with only highest random R/W peak exceeding it.
And 5400 RPM drives are basically well below 5W.

On average yes - the problem is the current draw when the machine is turned on and they all start to spinup at the same time.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

If it's possible to stagger the startup every 30 seconds or so per drive but I'd still suggest going with the 1200W single drive instead of bodging a solution.

(unless the server is for fun & you're comfortable with potential future headaches)

Soldato
OP
The issue NEVER arises on power up... Just afterwards when I try to actually use it.

Oh and yes, I suppose the server is mostly for fun over any actual seriousness. I have however spent a small fortune on it and so I am making proper use of it.
I was using 4 NAS ( total of 12 HDs ( 2,2,4,4 ) ) but I then decided to use the Server for serving more than MP3's to WinAmp, but now Im getting this...

As for future headaches, this is it... I mean, I used to use 2 PSUs before and I never once had any issues even though I did this for a good 3 maybe even 4 years... And with Cheap and nasty PSUs too!

Now, Im thinking of doing it but using higher quality power supplies.

But Im going to try a different PSU first and if the other PSU also gives me a PITA, then I will add a second PSU just for the Data HDs.

Associate
Great - I know in theory how to wire them together, are you using a breakout board they both plug into?

Are they identical models, or is a slightly-better-one going to act as the master?

Back
Top Bottom