Advises for my Upgrade

Soldato
Latter 3 for ram personally
If that's a 24" 4k not being used for media work then avoid unless you spend gaming looking through a sniper scope to explode up the image , believe you'll have to sit about a forearm length away from the screen to see difference over HD

Good maths if you've got 20/20 vision
https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-far-you-sit-from-the-screen-is-critical/amp/

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/kevinmurnane/files/2017/10/chart_Rtings.com_.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
OP
Latter 3 for ram personally

None of these modules will operate at 3200 MHz? It won't even boot to Windows, will it? Those aren't B-die, and B-die is quite a bit more expensive. No.
Maybe the best would be just to settle for a 2800 MHz kit?
All 2800 MHz modules will work at the specified frequency, 100% guarantee?

If that's a 24" 4k not being used for media work then avoid unless you spend gaming looking through a sniper scope to explode up the image , believe you'll have to sit about a forearm length away from the screen to see difference over HD

Good maths if you've got 20/20 vision

The HD monitors are with so large pixels, that it is impossible for me to look at the picture without wanting to throw the monitor out of the nearest window, straight in the trash.
Ultra HD is the only option for me. No, it won't be used primarily for gaming but reading and clear, crisp text and image is essential for good experience.

HD resolution shall go for the six-inch smartphones only and nothing larger.

Soldato
why i've stated the 8 pack and just pay for postage - not sure if you still get it free as your over the 250 post count but within the EU ...

good luck with scaling - and then you get away from what minimum 4k monitors and TVs should be , 40" - cant afford it, then save up :D no point spending a ton of money on a 4k monitor then to upscale windows so you can read the text haha. gaming text is the worst to- eve online with a 27" 4k monitor without playing with settings you need a magnifying glass haha

HD phone can get away as they are a few inches for your face though 4k is still pointless , VR headset needs 8K RIGHT AWAY!

got Aorus Ultra and 7 in post today, jesus the 7 FEELS HEAVY! heaviest board i've held so far

Permabanned
OP
Great! I hope it will serve you well ;)
Weight means quality - the heatsinks add quite a bit to that.

About memory, I found this https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/
We don't need B-die, actually :D

In general (on Ryzen) you can expect up to 3466 MHz (without BCLK-OC) with Samsung B-Die (on AGESA 1.0.0.6+ Bios Versions), up to 2933 MHz (without BCLK-OC) with Samsung D/E/S-Die (AGESA 1.0.0.5+). Hynix A/M-Die are mostly working @ 3200 MHz with AGESA 1.0.0.5+. Do note that Dual Rank RAM is faster than Single Rank. E.g. 2933 MHz Dual Rank is faster than 3200 MHz Single Rank. Single/Dual Rank is not to be confused with Single/Dual Channel (Dual Channel is always better).

Soldato
Soldato
You'd thought in their wisdom of copying intel naming schemes to make life easier for them to sell similar spec boards they would have named 2000 series coding with 2.*.*.* Instead of going back to 1.*.*.* .......

Permabanned
OP
You'd thought in their wisdom of copying intel naming schemes to make life easier for them to sell similar spec boards they would have named 2000 series coding with 2.*.*.* Instead of going back to 1.*.*.* .......

Agree with you. I don't like Ryzen 3, 5 and 7, too but this is life, must get used to it and forgive them.

Permabanned
OP
with reference to your question re: agesa and bios and memory compatibility. still hit and miss on immature bioses for x470

Ok, thanks. I will take a F4-3200C16D-16GVKB.

It can be either 4Gb Samsung D-Die Dual rank, Double-sided, or 8Gb Hynix M-Die Single rank, Single-sided.
In which case I believe I will get either 2933 MHz working with dual rank, or 3200 MHz working with single rank.

As for the naming scheme from AMD.

Ryzen 16, Ryzen 12, Ryzen 8, Ryzen 4
Ryzen 24, Ryzen 32, Ryzen 48 and Ryzen 64

would be super cool (meaning the maximum supported logical processors for each make, like Vega 64 was called).

Permabanned
OP
After some months of thinking about what exactly to get (first originally I decided to be Asrock, then moved to Gigabyte and now it will be Asus), I decided to postpone the new desktop configuration, I am finished with the thoughts, with the following things:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700, ADATA XPG SX8200 480GB, Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB Kit DDR4-3200 CL16 (F4-3200C15D-16GVKB), Inter-Tech Argus RGB CM 750W

The motherboard is not 100% but soon we will find out what the best would be in my case.

Permabanned
OP
So, after months of waiting for the new children of AMD, I am ready with a decision.

I cancel my project for building a new configuration, altogether.

The reasoning behind this particular move is that AMD failed to offer a meaningful upgrade path, and their offerings fail in the performance/price/longevity that I planned.

TBH, this is not our AMD, this is not the company that we had been knowing until very recently.

RX 5700 XT for 449$ is an epic fail.
Ryzen 3000 also misses to offer the much needed 65W 12-core SKU.

So, a no from me.

Will stay with a 5 2500U and RX 560X. Yes, they a bit crappy for my needs..... but this is life.

Soldato
^^^ AMD is a money making company . this was always going to be their strategy- to make more money to not compete at equal levels but overrun the competition .

slightly cheaper then rival but offering more cores and newer tech - spot on!
More expensive then most would have though - loss for us as a whole but people WILL BUY.. lots. Company manufacturing on a 7nm but charging prices of their 14nm node and more likely selling double the amount of chips... Board room success !!!!!

i do recall you saying a while ago AMD had a brilliant upgrade path.... none do. all obsolete the moment a forum group puts together a new idea .

as for longevity . if a 4 core i7 2nd gen overclocked can last 7 years and STILL be doing fine thanks to DX12 and such, all Ryzen 6 cores plus will have a very long life!
key to this is high resolution monitors getting cheaper , better coding for CPUs and GPUs doing most of the work

what makes you think a lower TDP 12/8/6 core isnt going to be offered.....

Soldato
Orbi, you took the bait!

^^^ AMD is a money making company . this was always going to be their strategy- to make more money to not compete at equal levels but overrun the competition .

slightly cheaper then rival but offering more cores and newer tech - spot on!
More expensive then most would have though - loss for us as a whole but people WILL BUY.. lots. Company manufacturing on a 7nm but charging prices of their 14nm node and more likely selling double the amount of chips... Board room success !!!!!

i do recall you saying a while ago AMD had a brilliant upgrade path.... none do. all obsolete the moment a forum group puts together a new idea .

as for longevity . if a 4 core i7 2nd gen overclocked can last 7 years and STILL be doing fine thanks to DX12 and such, all Ryzen 6 cores plus will have a very long life!
key to this is high resolution monitors getting cheaper , better coding for CPUs and GPUs doing most of the work

what makes you think a lower TDP 12/8/6 core isnt going to be offered.....

^^But, great 'mission statement'. :)

Soldato
Couldn't resist . It's like Darth Vader throwing the emperor down the shaft... So much love and sweat to then turn coat ;( brakes me
LOL - loving the analogy but couldn't we have picked a better role model to represent the cause than the Dark Emperor? :D

Back
Top Bottom