New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
OP
If true that’s quite disappointing. I was hoping it would be a bit quicker than that.

Thing is though, is 4.5 seconds to 60 for a road car really not enough? At what point is anything under 5 seconds not enough? I know you like your cars and whatnot, but c'mon, that's plenty for the road. Also, for what it's worth Toyota are always really conservative with their figures. The GT86 for example is down as something daft like nearly 8 seconds to 60, which is utter rot - the only way I can see someone doing that is having a full tank of fuel, passengers and a boot full of luggage. The price seems a little odd given the M cars competition, but then I guess with it being a dedicated coupe rather than saloon there's going to be a bit of a premium added 'because sports car'. Either way we still have to wait until 2019 to see what the craic is, I just hope it's a belter and it lives up to the Supra name.

Soldato
Thing is though, is 4.5 seconds to 60 for a road car really not enough? At what point is anything under 5 seconds not enough? I know you like your cars and whatnot, but c'mon, that's plenty for the road. Also, for what it's worth Toyota are always really conservative with their figures. The GT86 for example is down as something daft like nearly 8 seconds to 60, which is utter rot - the only way I can see someone doing that is having a full tank of fuel, passengers and a boot full of luggage. The price seems a little odd given the M cars competition, but then I guess with it being a dedicated coupe rather than saloon there's going to be a bit of a premium added 'because sports car'. Either way we still have to wait until 2019 to see what the craic is, I just hope it's a belter and it lives up to the Supra name.

Yea I don't know why Toyota do that. They always seem to sell themselves short when it comes to performance figures. Maybe it's to attract "the right audience" or drive insurance costs down, who knows. Some of them are comically under-stated.

There's been a few instances where Japanese performance cars produced way more power than they're supposed to as well. The old Supra and Skyline are pretty famous for that. A stock, 280hp Supra actually had something like 320+ when dynoed :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yea I don't know why Toyota do that. They always seem to sell themselves short when it comes to performance figures. Maybe it's to attract "the right audience" or drive insurance costs down, who knows.

I'd imagine it's an insurance thing too. I've always thought the 86 is a surprisingly cheap car to insure, but then I'm getting old now :D

Caporegime
Yea I don't know why Toyota do that. They always seem to sell themselves short when it comes to performance figures. Maybe it's to attract "the right audience" or drive insurance costs down, who knows. Some of them are comically under-stated.

There's been a few instances where Japanese performance cars produced way more power than they're supposed to as well. The old Supra and Skyline are pretty famous for that. A stock, 280hp Supra actually had something like 320+ when dynoed :p

There was a reason the Japs did this, can't remember which video it was in but check out see of Donut's Up To Speed videos on seek of the jap heavy hitters, he explains it in one of them. Iirc it was 268bhp or something, which is why despite making many more horses, loads of Jap cars were rated at 268 (or whatever the number was).

Permabanned
There was a reason the Japs did this, can't remember which video it was in but check out see of Donut's Up To Speed videos on seek of the jap heavy hitters, he explains it in one of them. Iirc it was 268bhp or something, which is why despite making many more horses, loads of Jap cars were rated at 268 (or whatever the number was).

Some weird gentlemans agreement that they wouldn't push silly power to beat each other and instead focus on other things... I think

Back
Top Bottom