Any memories of the old shops we used to visit?

Soldato
The shops I remember buying my computers/games from are either closed up many years ago or no longer sell computer related things. I'll write these in chronological order.

Boots.

At one time Boots used to sell computers and games. They had quite a big selection. The computer section would cover about 4 or 5 isles in the store which they put in one section. My parents had bought me a C64 for my 12th birthday from Boots. It was a batman themed game pack. The good thing about Boots selling that kinda thing was whenever I had to go out with my parents shopping they could take me to Boots and leave me in that section for a couple of hours!

WHSmith

My memories of this store are mainly about computer magazines. They stocked nearly every computer or console magazine you could imagine. Some of the magazines were thick with a lot to read. People used to stand in front of the magazines rack and be half reading them. So everyone was moving around each other and reaching for their favourite magazine. Reading computer magazines was how I learned to read. The store also used to stock some games in a different area. It used to be near the music section. It wasnt a big area and if I was looking for games that would be the last place I'd look. But if I happened to be in there buying a magazine I would often drift to the back of the store too.

Vudata in Ashton-under-lyne.

I don't know how I found this shop as I don't even live in Tameside. But I remember buying my Amiga 500 from there. It was an independent shop on Stamford Street. I think in its time it moved further up too. But in the early days I remember my dad taking me to the computer shop on Saturdays, the highlight of my weekend. I looked out of the window and seeing people literally backed up to the door. The first place they had it was nearly always very busy. They would have the walls stacked with games boxes from the small budget titles (£0.99p to £3.99) to the bigger boxes that were usually £15 upwards. Each wall of the shop was filled with games for all the different systems, From the C64 and Spectrum games, to the Amiga and the Atari. Towards the back of the shop were games for systems that didn't have a big range. BBC, Macs and PC's.

The funny thing was how quiet it would be even with so many people in the shop. Normally you'd hear the computers, usually an Atari or Amiga in demo mode blasting out tunes that made you want to look, even when trying to jockey for position to reach to see the latest games on the shelves.

When I was older and was attending a nearby college I was going to do a 2 week work experience there. But sadly it was cut short as they were shutting up shop.

Ramsoft in Rochdale.

The other shop that holds memories for me was a little shop at the top of Drake Street in Rochdale. Another hidden away shop and I'm not sure how I found it. I was older by this time and was well in to the Amiga scene. It was nearly entirely focused on the Amiga and Atari. I remember the people who worked there seemed like a group of friends. That was the first time I saw X-Copy in action, as they would be sat at computers doing all kinds of things while the customers looked around. It was only a small shop but whenever any new game was due to be released they would always have it. I think thats were I bought the CD32 console. I only remember having a couple of games with it and can't remember going to back to buy any games for it as Commodore was in collapse by then.

Ok, thats my probably long winded memories. Does anyone else have any memories of back in the day of buying their first computer or consoles, and the shops we used to go to?

Associate
I remember going into Sainsbury's on Friday and for the last 3 years or so and there being a display of X-box consoles, games and peripherals on the left just after you go in.
I expect it will still be there when I get my sandwich at lunchtime tomorrow.

I used to buy the Spectrum magazine Crash, but I have no memory where from, perhaps it was delivered. I remember the complex bartering system at school for the lending of the tape with a game it you wanted that you would take home and copy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember going to the old OcUK unit on imex business park and being in no way surprised when the phones just rang and rang and rang...

RMA's used to be a right pain to sort!

I miss Electronics Boutique - great place for buying games!

Man of Honour
Early to mid 90s there was this little newsagent in the middle of a housing estate weird place with I'm sure asbestos walls and tarred roof like a shed - one bit was like a kiosk with windows one side that provided the counter for people buying stuff inside and a big opening the other for people passing by to buy stuff. No idea what the name was now but it was the only place in town for a long time that reliably had a lot of the computer mags until WHSmith started carrying them more often.

Funny thing once broadband started taking off it just disappeared almost overnight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vaguely remember buying spectrum games from boots in the 80's. Mother bought first PC in 98 in Tiny or was it Time. I didn't exactly visit these shops but remember them.

I remember Presto's we used to package our food in cardboard boxes that were at the entrance, as did most other people.

Also Safeway and Our Price music.

Associate
I remember several high street stores had BBC/Spectrum/Atari computers, sad old me thought I was clever writing a BASIC program to poke 0 to all memory locations causing them to crash :o

Last one I sort of remember was an independent shop on the Chelsea Road in Bath which sold Atari stuff and held an after shop Atari Computer Club once or twice a month. It was the first place I heard a floppy disc drive playing the Star Wars theme :D

Soldato
Ramsoft in Rochdale.

I have an almost identical experience with a shop in Grimsby, run by an old boy known only as "Jim". It was ostensibly an actual games shop, with shelves of proper games and everything, but I don't think anyone in there ever actually bought a game which wasn't an under the counter pirated version, sold by the afore mentioned Jim. This was at the height of the Amiga/ST time. I really don't know why or how he made more profit doing this rather than selling the actual full price games. Eventually, and probably understandably, his lost the business, rumour was that the Feds closed him down. He then just set up in his council house, effectively as a "dealer". In fact, as someone who has never even thought of taking drugs, this is I imagine exactly how low level drug deals went down. There were often half a dozen push bikes laid on their side outside his house with a stream of teenagers coming and going, and it definitely did feel seedy. I remember him saying the vast majority of his time was spent photocopying manuals rather than actual disk copying. He is almost certainly dead now I imagine, given he used to complain about his angina for 15 minutes, when all you wanted to do was get your copy of Cannon Fodder and get out of there.

Man of Honour
One Step Beyond in Norwich is one that sticks in my memory. Dark, cramped and filled with stuff. Great place. Now long gone. :(

Permabanned
I remember going into Fenwicks in Brent Cross to look at the games, try and have a go on the (S)NES etc. I recall thinking at the time how expensive the games were. I think they were around £50 when they came out which is totally ridiculous considering this was 20-30 years ago.

Also used to go into John Lewis to watch the screensavers on the PC's. I remember one with these planes with faces, and there was a 3D chess game that looked pretty cool where the rook would turn into a rock monster to move around.

Soldato
I remember as a kid Future Zone opening in my local town. They had loads of Amiga games and a bit later on, lots of everything, including a SNES and mega Drive, usually on a Saturday they'd change the game so I was always excited to get to the shop to hopefully get on one of the consoles :) I remember entering the Starwing challenge and Donkey Kong Country challenge too but never getting anywhere close to the top of the leaderboard. It went on to become Electronics Boutique and then Game, but I'll always have fond memories of Future Zone :)

Soldato
Vudata in Ashton-under-lyne.

I don't know how I found this shop as I don't even live in Tameside. But I remember buying my Amiga 500 from there. It was an independent shop on Stamford Street. I think in its time it moved further up too. But in the early days I remember my dad taking me to the computer shop on Saturdays, the highlight of my weekend. I looked out of the window and seeing people literally backed up to the door. The first place they had it was nearly always very busy. They would have the walls stacked with games boxes from the small budget titles (£0.99p to £3.99) to the bigger boxes that were usually £15 upwards. Each wall of the shop was filled with games for all the different systems, From the C64 and Spectrum games, to the Amiga and the Atari. Towards the back of the shop were games for systems that didn't have a big range. BBC, Macs and PC's.

They had another branch near me in Stockport when I was a lad. Best place for PC games locally in the early 90s before the big chains like PC World and EB appeared and they eventually closed. Found the boxes for games like Microprose GP, Syndicate, Space Quest IV etc in the loft at my parents when they moved a few years ago, most with the VUDATA price sticker still attached. No room to keep them, so they ended up getting recycled unfortunately...

Man of Honour
We had a shop on Stafford and a shop in Cannock in the early 80's and these were my haunts. Can't recall their names but lived in the Stafford one as my first job was 100 yards away.

Soldato
There was one in Hockley in Nottingham that closed down in 93 called Toto. The chap that ran the place was a real nice guy, always let you demo the games before buying. First started going there in 83 for Dragon 32 games, then spectrum, megadrive. Shortly before he shut up I cleared out most of his speccy stuff, lots of last releases boxed stuff I still have.

Loughborough was also great in the day for independent computer shops, always had one or two from the mid eighties through the back end of the 90's.

Man of Honour
During the Amiga time I used to visit an indoor market type place and bought some games there, apart from that I remember going with my parents to return joysticks every other month at Tandy. For early PC things I used to go to Pink Planet and Game Station (think it was called something else before though?) and Electronics Boutique.

Caporegime
We had a shop on Stafford and a shop in Cannock in the early 80's and these were my haunts. Can't recall their names but lived in the Stafford one as my first job was 100 yards away.
Computerama by any chance on Foregate St ? They had branches in Hanley and Shrewsbury too - I know the former owner.

Soldato
Whenever I'd go to Scarborough I'd always go to the comp and games center, it had a lan cafe downstairs. bought UT99 from there preowned haha. It moved units and never seemed to have the same charm for me, don't know if it's still there.

In Nottingham there was Another World which was always great, I remember them having Smackdown 2 playing on the chipped playstation behind the counter, ages before it was supposed to come out.

Associate
I grew up in Southend-On-Sea and we had a decent mix of computer shops in the 80s and 90s.

Software Plus - Use to visit this in the late 80s and I remember the big wall of Sega Master System and Amiga games at the time.
Estuary Computers - Bought my first PC RAM upgrade here, two sticks of 32MB EDO RAM to bring my PC to a might 80MB.
Silica Systems - This was based in a big department store called Keddies and had a mix of consoles and PCs, I spent many an hour playing on the Game Boy/Mega Drive/SNES kiosk setups and lusting over the PCs and high powered Amigas.
Games HQ - Now this was where I spent most of my time when it opened in a department store called In Shops, it started off as a fairly small shop with a couple of arcade machines and a bunch of games/consoles for sale but they probably opened at just the right time in the early 90s as they quickly had to expand to new premises 5 or 6 times before their unfortunate but inevitable closure many years later. This was where I'd spend hours playing Mutant Fighter/Street Fighter 2: Turbo/King of Fighters etc on the arcades or playing the latest import console games on the variety of different systems that were all set up and lusting after Neo Geo systems behind the counter and in glass cases.

Some honourable mentions as they're not pure computer shops were Argos which had a Sega Megadrive kiosk where I remember first playing Sonic the Hedgehog and Beatties (again in Keddies) which had a NES kiosk machine which I remember playing Batman on and also one of those Virtuality VR rigs (plus it had a ton of cool models/remote control cars, planes etc). Such a shame that the highstreets just don't have these types of stores anymore, I feel pretty lucky to have lived as a kid through this time.

Soldato
Great thread.

Early 80's after primary school when I did not go to Coram's fields, I was in Holborn library either playing with the BBC Micro in the downstairs children's library or upstairs playing with the C64 in the reference library.

Mid 80's, I used to frequent WHSmith, High Holborn every single day after secondary school which had a small computer section at the back of the store. I spent many hours there chatting to the youngsters behind the counter and playing on the Amstrad CPC. I spent so much time in there, they let me buy their overheating ex-display Spectrum 48k for 5 quid!

When I moved to Chelmsford, Essex, I ended up doing a work experience placement at EDF (or EDL, I cannot recall) computers building out 486 PCs and also working at the Moulsham street branch of Software+ for a few years as the Saturday boy in early 90s. The manager and I had sit-ins when the shop closed playing on the Sega Megadrive for hours.

I really miss those times, we had regularly customers (like I was at WHSMith in London) who just came in for a chat; real enthusiasts with great a passion for this new form of entertainment.

EDIT; Coram's fields.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom