Fragrances in hold luggage

Ken

Ken

Associate
Don
As noted above the 100ml limit is for hand baggage.

There will be a limit as regards customs (if you’re bringing it in from outside the EU/EEA) before you would need to declare it depending on how honest you are.

Soldato
That's to pass through security with it in your hand luggage

In your hold luggage, it's not a problem as you check it in before security.

If its in your hold luggage then half will evaporate due to lower pressure.

Its happened to me a few times, the lower air pressure in the cargo department evaporates the alcohol in the fragrance.

Its a pain in the butt to take aftershave or perfume away that's for sure. :(

Man of Honour
You can get small perfume / aftershave dispensers which you fill from the main bottle. This may be better to take with you.

Man of Honour

Its happened to me a few times, the lower air pressure in the cargo department evaporates the alcohol in the fragrance.

Why would the "cargo department" be at a lower pressure? That would make an aircraft much harder to design....

I fly almost every week and have never had this evaporation occur.

Soldato
Why would the "cargo department" be at a lower pressure? That would make an aircraft much harder to design....

I fly almost every week and have never had this evaporation occur.

Depends on distance, 2 to 3hours then it will make it but anything over then nope.

Why would airlines use energy and fuel to pressurise a cargo hold? As its mostly clothes and bits and bobs.

Man of Honour
Depends on distance, 2 to 3hours then it will make it but anything over then nope.

Why would airlines use energy and fuel to pressurise a cargo hold? As its mostly clothes and bits and bobs.
Over the last two months I've taken a six hour flight, a five hour flight, a seven hour flight, a nine hour flight and finally a 12 hour flight. No evaporation or leakage.
I'll take my experience over your "nope" statement.

It's nothing to do with cost for the airlines, it's about the design of the aircraft itself. Think about what an aircraft is - in basic terms a big pressurised cylinder. Now imagine you took that cylinder and compartmentalised it, with the bottom half open to atmosphere and the top section pressurised.
Can you think of any design challenges that might create?

Soldato
As you have said it depends on the aircraft as its a mixed boat.

I agree most airline jets will be pressurised though out but some are not so. Bonus is if not your socks are bigger when you arrive. :p

Caporegime

Google tells me all holds are pressurised:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8252/are-cargo-holds-pressurised-these-days

Having said that the air pressure is lower inside both the cabin and the hold at cruising altitude compared to ground level.

A lower temp in an I heated hold would actually reduce evaporation too.

Caporegime

Hold and cabin are at the same pressure.

The whole plane is lower pressure than sea level though

Associate

Pets / animals travel in the cargo hold. They wouldn't survive if it wasn't pressurised.

Soldato

This is nonsense. I fly to the US once a month and always put toiletries in the hold with zero issues.

Associate

The aircraft engines pump and heat outside air into the entirety of the inside of a fuselage to pressurise it.

As well as clothes, live animals are also often transported in the hold of an aircraft, and they aren't asphyxiated as the hold is pressurised.

The aircraft is usually pressurised to an altitude of approx 7-8 thousand feet. I have carried aftershave on many a flight, never once has my aftershave evaporated out of it's already sealed bottle.

Back
Top Bottom