*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Super easy. My process was as follows:

Buy Unifi AP Lite, plug network cable into my existing switch and feed that into the power injector then run a network cable to the AP.

Installed unifi controller on my mac, signed up, adopted the access point (super easy) and set up my wireless network. Done.

Thanks. That's great, I'm thinking of putting one in the loft now.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
U

Modem of some description - BT Huawei is cheapest or Draytek 130

Unifi Security Gateway 3P - router

US-8-60W or US-8-150W or US-16-150W switches (US is a Unifi Switch, the next number is the number of ports and the last number is the PoE power output. Effectively unless you need 16 ports the two 8 port switches will both do what you want.

AP-AC-LR (2 x 2 Mimo) or AP-AC-Pro (3 x 3 Mimo) or by far the best option now AP-AC-HD Nano (4 x 4 MuMimo). All of those can be powered from the US-8-60W.

I also like the UCK Cloud Key which is a tiny Linux PC that just runs the controller. You plug it into the PoE switch and you’re away. It’s very, very, easy to set up. But it’s an extra £80 that you don’t need to spend so I understand why most people don’t bother.

Excellent, thanks for the information - very grateful! Do you have a recommended place to buy the kit from? Looking on the website it appears we in the UK cant buy directly?

Associate
Is it just me that wonders why we have so many people ask questions that can be solved with a bit of Googling or on the Ubiquiti forums?

I set up a Unifi system with no prior knowledge with 5 switches, router, 6 APs, controller (PC and then CK) and vlans/vpn just by reading up on the Ubiquiti site, its not rocket science. If you cannot work out where to buy the kit in the UK then perhaps you should stick to an all in one modem/router/wifi.

Soldato
Is it just me that wonders why we have so many people ask questions that can be solved with a bit of Googling or on the Ubiquiti forums?

I set up a Unifi system with no prior knowledge with 5 switches, router, 6 APs, controller (PC and then CK) and vlans/vpn just by reading up on the Ubiquiti site, its not rocket science. If you cannot work out where to buy the kit in the UK then perhaps you should stick to an all in one modem/router/wifi.

You more or less qualify for a UEWA then :D

Associate
I sometimes wonder why there are so many questions that can be solved with a bit of Googling, but then I wonder how the information found through the powers of Google got there in the first place, in most instances it's because someone else was asking the question on a forum and someone else offered advice to fix said problem.

Caporegime
Do ubiquiti not do an 8 port Unifi non-PoE switch with an SFP port? I can't find one.. I have an 8 port poE switch, but only currently need 6 PoE ports. I do however need more ports for my network, but was hoping to get a cheaper switch for the non PoE ports.

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour

Funny that we have a ubiquiti discussion thread inviting people to discuss. That's why the forum exists, to discuss, to ask questions, to get recommendations, to get help. It's the core of the forums.

I assume you've never asked for advice or recommendations on the forum, right? Looking at your thread posting history probably quite a lot could have been googled, so why bother posting here?

Soldato
Soldato
Do ubiquiti not do an 8 port Unifi non-PoE switch with an SFP port? I can't find one.. I have an 8 port poE switch, but only currently need 6 PoE ports. I do however need more ports for my network, but was hoping to get a cheaper switch for the non PoE ports.

No, the cheapest USW with an SFP port is the US-8-150W. But the US-8-60W only has 4 PoE ports anyway so if you need 6, you need a US-8-150W or a US-16-150W.

Soldato
Caporegime
No, the cheapest USW with an SFP port is the US-8-150W. But the US-8-60W only has 4 PoE ports anyway so if you need 6, you need a US-8-150W or a US-16-150W.
I've already got an US-8-150W. I meant that I currently only have 6 PoE devices, so wanted to get a Unifi switch that wasn't PoE for the rest of my network so that it would be slightly cheaper. But I want an SFP port :(.

Soldato
I've already got an US-8-150W. I meant that I currently only have 6 PoE devices, so wanted to get a Unifi switch that wasn't PoE for the rest of my network so that it would be slightly cheaper. But I want an SFP port :(.

They don't do an 8 port non POE with SFP. I'd be more inclined to get something like the 16 port 150W and sell the 8 port you already have, 1 single unit, full PoE capability and that I think has 2 SFP slots.

Back
Top Bottom