*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
They're supposed to be pretty awesome. I personally don't trust any platform to tell me what has priority and what doesn't but for the most part I hear they work well although do take a huge chunk out of performance if using the USG3.

I've set mine to my max connection speed minus about 10% and the internet just seems a lot slower since I've done it.

Caporegime
They don't do an 8 port non POE with SFP. I'd be more inclined to get something like the 16 port 150W and sell the 8 port you already have, 1 single unit, full PoE capability and that I think has 2 SFP slots.
Aye I think thats my likely route, was hoping to avoid the expense of the 16 port PoE switch though :p. Suppose I'll be able to sell the other one though.

Soldato
I've set mine to my max connection speed minus about 10% and the internet just seems a lot slower since I've done it.

I've just done some testing on the USG at work. With IPS and DPI throughput maxxed out at about 72Mb, I put smart queues on and put them to about 60Mb and the throughput plummeted and came back between 30 & 35.
I tried combos of all, smart queues is the killer.

The long of it is I think UBNT are onto a winner now and I would happily put this into action if the "lower end" hardware was improved to at least do 100Mb throughputs.

Soldato
Man of Honour
I've just done some testing on the USG at work. With IPS and DPI throughput maxxed out at about 72Mb, I put smart queues on and put them to about 60Mb and the throughput plummeted and came back between 30 & 35.
I tried combos of all, smart queues is the killer.

The long of it is I think UBNT are onto a winner now and I would happily put this into action if the "lower end" hardware was improved to at least do 100Mb throughputs.
I think that's the issue then, when all are on I also see around 35 Mbit down, I think I'll turn SQ off and then set nzbget to around 75% of my connection. Most downloads are overnight so it doesn't matter too much, but doing it this way it won't steal everything if it's downloading during the day and I'm trying to stream Netflix!

That said I am tempted to turn off IPS, it's no where near as comprehensive as pfsense for example.

Soldato
Quick one, other than cost there is no reason to purchase the uap-ac-lite over the uap-ac-lr right?

LR's have a weirdly shaped internal antenna which increases the RX gain capability, ideal if you have mobile devices as they are generally quite weak at TX.
Lites are smaller
LR's have 3x3 antenna where Lites have 2x2 which means an LR can do 450Mb over 2.4Ghz where Lite can only do 300Mb

Nice comparison chart here;
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/advice/3776-ubiquiti-unifi-uap-ac-comparison-chart-indoor/

Soldato
I see two interesting things on there:

1. There is no difference in the chart between an HD and SHD (I guess there must be something).
  2. They give a two year warranty on the IW. I'm not sure what to infer from that but it stood out.

The SHD has the Security radio feature that is physically present but not actually activated.

I think the two-year warranty on the IW is probably a mistake. Don’t forget that in the UK/EU the manufacturers warranty is in addition to your statutory rights.

Associate
Thanks, I have one LR at the moment so might get a lite to compare and see how they work for coverage. I don't have the LR mounted at the moment, just sitting on top of the radiator cover :rolleyes:

Soldato
Thanks, I have one LR at the moment so might get a lite to compare and see how they work for coverage. I don't have the LR mounted at the moment, just sitting on top of the radiator cover :rolleyes:

I've not come across a better all-round AP than the AP-AC-LR. Most people look at the speed figures and buy the Pro and they actually get worse throughput than the LR because the mobile clients they are using can't see the access point as well. Yes, theoretically the Pro will go faster with the right client but how many of those 3x3 MIMO clients do you actually have? If you want/need better coverage, get another LR. A lite, as good as they are, would be a retrograde step.

If you want to borrow an LR to test, I'll happily lend you one.

Associate
Out of interest, would it be ok to mount one of the Ubiquiti AP’s to the underside of a desk in an upstairs bedroom? I know they are supposed to be ceiling mounted and it perhaps wouldn’t be the best position on the underside, although it is just a 2m length of oak and some legs, so fairly open. I’ve currently got an Asus AC88u that’s in AP mode, that sits on top of the desk, as I’ve just set up a Pfsense router. Wifi is fine on the Asus so just considering at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom