Upping the audio

Associate
So I've spent a few days looking at options for improve my audio experience. Mainly for gaming and music, YouTube etc. Currently using Logitech g533, looking at a budget of £200 to include headphones and DAC/amp. If I can get a modmic in that then great if not I'll add that at a later date.

Game wise mainly FPS and RPGs and music wise can be anything so a good all-rounder but gaming is going the be the main use.

So far DAC/amp wise I'm drawn to the fiio e10k. Seems a popular choise

Headphone considered so far include AKG K702, hd598, and DT990 pro but happy to consider anything within budget

Thanks

Soldato
i am rocking the akg k702 and a soundblaster e5 , good combo imo :D
the 702's are very open and are great for gaming, i did the bass port mod to mine but that is a personal preference
you can get the k702's from the river and the e5 direct from creative for a tenner over budget

Associate
If you do go for anything on the creative site use the 35% off code: SUMMERSW35. Could get an AE-5 if you want a sound card in the pc.

Associate
I have a Fiio E10K and an AE-5 and I can definitely say the AE-5 pushes out better quality audio at higher volume for my HE-400i's. I'd +1 the K702, were great when I had them! Just didn't have strong enough bass for me, but for gaming they were amazing.

Associate
K702s seem to be the go to from what I've read. Price wise they fit too. How are they for music
Music is very nice on them, they are bass light though, so if you want bass I'd go for the dt 990's. Everything very spacious and they're very comfortable. They excel in vocals as their mid range sound is their specialty.

Associate
OP
DT990s is my other option now I've picked up and ae5. It's hard as there's no where nearby to try them. Bass isn't a big deal as long as it's there, I'll not be listening to much drum and bass etc, more rock, indie etc

Associate
DT990s is my other option now I've picked up and ae5. It's hard as there's no where nearby to try them. Bass isn't a big deal as long as it's there, I'll not be listening to much drum and bass etc, more rock, indie etc
If you're buying on A to Z you can buy both and just return the one you don't like as much.

Soldato
Music is very nice on them, they are bass light though, so if you want bass I'd go for the dt 990's. Everything very spacious and they're very comfortable. They excel in vocals as their mid range sound is their specialty.

He said main use is gaming. For positional sound, K702 are better than the Beyer's.

Midrange is not the DT990 or DT770 speciality. They have a V shaped sound sig with recessed midrange. You might be thinking of Sennheiser HD600/650 which are known for great midrange and vocals.

DT770/990 are more fun, but too much bass drowns out the cues, which is why the K702 perform better when it comes to locating sounds.

There is a mod that can done to the K702 though to help elevate the bass a bit.

Depends on what the preference is though. For best positional sound go for the AKG's. If fun is preferred, go for the Beyer's.

How would they run with the ae5 ? Heard the k702s need pushing ?

No problems driving them with the AE-5.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
a lot of info there thanks. Gaming is the main use for sure. Hoping for a few more user reviews to pop up in here as well, apparantla the dt990 is still good for positioning

Associate
a lot of info there thanks. Gaming is the main use for sure. Hoping for a few more user reviews to pop up in here as well, apparantla the dt990 is still good for positioning
In my opinion, I think they're all good in terms of postional audio. It's just that the K702's are step above the rest.

Associate
OP
Order placed for k702s should be here tomorrow. Gives me a few days to try it before the sound blaster ae5 shows up then I can see what diffendiff that makes to them. Thanks for the help and advice

Associate
OP
Nice! Hope you enjoy them.
came today, impressed so far, gaming sounds good and thats without the Soundblaster. but that should be here by the end of the week. really enjoying them for music to, I was a little apprehensive given everywhere states they lack bass, but for what I listen to I have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom