What can i do with a spare 60gb SSD?

Associate
I have a spare 60gb ssd floating round, other than storing small stuff is there anything more useful i coudl do with it?

I have heard something about using them as a cache for a larger HDD? How does that work? Is it hardwear dependent?

Or is there something else?

Currently its a paperweight.

Don
Don
Also what does caching do, speeds up the hdd? how ?

The caching software learns which data is used regularly on the hard drive, and copies it onto the ssd. Next time that data is requested it comes from the SSD, so results in faster access times.

Z77 definitely supports Intel Smart Response, but not sure whether it's still a feature with Z370 (as intel have a newer technology - Optane, that does something similar)

Some reviews of it in use on a Z68 chipset with a 20gb SSD:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4...n_w_gigabyte_z68xp_ud3_issd_review/index.html
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2593&page=1

Soldato
Im with JasonM stick your page file on it, then either grab an nvme drive for your OS or a new SSD, by putting your page file on it, you'll reduce the reads and writes to your new drive by a fair bit, making its resale value in the future better or lasting longer in general.

Soldato
Im with JasonM stick your page file on it, then either grab an nvme drive for your OS or a new SSD, by putting your page file on it, you'll reduce the reads and writes to your new drive by a fair bit, making its resale value in the future better or lasting longer in general.

32GB Readyboost also, it will cache reads from the HDD.

I've bench marked Readyboost on a SSD, it will even increase 4k HDD read speeds in crystal disk mark.

Readyboost is totally misunderstood, I've watched Readyboost cache hits while it's running, and it's always providing benefit regardless of the memory in the computer. There is loads of people who boot from a HDD and don't realise they would benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom