GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I've had most of the issues fixed under warranty. Quarterlight pillars, fuel pump, driver's side window mechanism and the glass it scratched all replaced. No questions asked by Toyota, they just inspected it and did it. They even did the window 2 months after the warranty expired :)

The cam cover oil leak can be a pain though. I've tried 2 different plates now and neither seem to stop it 100%, a small amount still manages to get out :(

But yea...Just be careful when winter comes, get winter tyres.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes gear stick rattle is really annoying. Mine was really bad, but was sorted under warranty for the revised item. It still does it, but nowhere near as bad as it did before. Mine's had that, new from quarterlights, new battery. Been lucky with the cam plate so far, but think my diff isn't long off exploding based on the judder I get when pulling off in first gear if the wheels aren't straight. It needs to hurry up as well, warranty runs out at the end of the year haha!

Associate
Glad to hear you’ve got one albeit with bonkers insurance. :D

Out of interest, how many miles has the car got on it? I only ask since if running a house seems expensive there’s a couple of services that the 86 needs which are eye watering money compared to the more usual maintenance costs.

Agreed! I almost choked when it was the 60k service at Basingstoke main dealer for new Spark plugs, gearbox and diff oils done. Over £600.00 - and that was with some discount as I knew the Service Advisor from way back in Primary School :D.

Not exactly a cheap car to run but I had massive fun with mine. If I had the choice I'd have rather it be serviced at Abbey or Fensport but both quite a drive there and back from Andover.

Shawrey

Soldato
Ignore the naysayers! Glad you’ve managed to get an insurance quote that’s not ridiculous (albeit more than I’d like to ever pay for insurance!).

There’s a reason you’ve gone for this car - because you’re an actual car enthusiast. As such you’ll realise that this isn’t the car for the traffic light GP or burnouts at Maccy D’s. It’s for getting up early on a summer’s morning and going for a B road blast!

Take your time to get to know the car. Don’t show off and bin it in the first week.

Make sure you enjoy it!

Soldato
Doesnt matter how you cut it up, its still a bad idea. Soz to be that guy but it is.
The difference even a year and a half will make, just throwing money away.

The 86 will still be there when you come back.

Normally I'd be right behind sound financial advice but at the end of the day if the difference between insuring a roller skate car and a GT86 at 18 years of age is £600 then **** it :p

Just wait until you're old... I laugh at how much I paid to insure hot hatches 17 odd years ago

Soldato
Going in for my 15th trip to the dealer just for warranty work tomorrow, works out at something minor failing on the car every 4 months. Everything that has failed apart from the gearbox wouldn't have been covered on the extended warranty so mechanically I trust the car for reliability. Worst part about owning this car is the Toyota dealer network, too used to fleecing old people for JBL sound upgrades on a Yaris than catering for car enthusiasts.

Associate
OP
Glad to hear you’ve got one albeit with bonkers insurance. :D

Out of interest, how many miles has the car got on it? I only ask since if running a house seems expensive there’s a couple of services that the 86 needs which are eye watering money compared to the more usual maintenance costs.

Car has 31k Miles on it, getting a full service from Toyota before I pick it up, 2013 Reg. I'm going to be putting money aside for servicing etc :)

Don't ****ing bin it and put my insurance up!

I won't don't worry :p

Ignore the naysayers! Glad you’ve managed to get an insurance quote that’s not ridiculous (albeit more than I’d like to ever pay for insurance!).

There’s a reason you’ve gone for this car - because you’re an actual car enthusiast. As such you’ll realise that this isn’t the car for the traffic light GP or burnouts at Maccy D’s. It’s for getting up early on a summer’s morning and going for a B road blast!

Take your time to get to know the car. Don’t show off and bin it in the first week.

Make sure you enjoy it!

Thanks Tom :) This is exactly my reasoning behind the car, bombing around McDonalds or B&Q Carpark (seems to be the generic place around here) doesn't bother me, I just want to be able to enjoy it on some good country roads :D

Soldato
Agreed! I almost choked when it was the 60k service at Basingstoke main dealer for new Spark plugs, gearbox and diff oils done. Over £600.00 - and that was with some discount as I knew the Service Advisor from way back in Primary School :D.

Not exactly a cheap car to run but I had massive fun with mine. If I had the choice I'd have rather it be serviced at Abbey or Fensport but both quite a drive there and back from Andover.

Shawrey

80k is even worse, whole rear of the interior has to come out so they can change the fuel filter! :o

Soldato
The services costs are halved after the warranty expires btw. So if your at the 5 year mark and about to hit 60k, it's worth leaving it a bit :p

Do the gearbox and dif oil yourself using better stuff tbh. It makes the gear changes a bit nicer too.

Associate
OP
The services costs are halved after the warranty expires btw. So if your at the 5 year mark and about to hit 60k, it's worth leaving it a bit :p

Do the gearbox and dif oil yourself using better stuff tbh. It makes the gear changes a bit nicer too.

Was planning on potentially changing the gearbox oil when I get it if it has the 2nd gear issue - My dad has a MX5 NC with the same box and he changed his to some Ford branded stuff and it seemed to almost completely fix the issue. :)

Caporegime
Normally I'd be right behind sound financial advice but at the end of the day if the difference between insuring a roller skate car and a GT86 at 18 years of age is £600 then **** it :p

Just wait until you're old... I laugh at how much I paid to insure hot hatches 17 odd years ago
A gt86 is a roller skate though

Soldato
Thank you :D - Can't wait to take it over to the Lake District, I have to wait till 2nd of August to pick it up :(

And that 309 looks like a fun car still! :)

It was an ok car, I did try a 205 Gti but found it a bit too feisty, I would have crashed it quite quickly I'm sure. So I settled on a 309 instead.

Good luck with your new one, 2nd of August will soon come.

Back
Top Bottom