**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Caporegime
+1 to the camera :cool: Cat time! :p

mHUlpS0.jpg

2gi6Sou.jpg

UkpYfu4.jpg

Still loving this phone especially with the swift dark theme. Hopefully when we get android P (no doubt will take forever though.... :(), samsung will have a nice gesture navigation system, I suspect it will be better than google's way too, considering that most of Samsung's apps are generally better than google's as well as being more customisable + feature rich.

The pixel 3 is going to have to be really special to pull me away from this and even then I doubt google will..... as per usual, they **** up the sizes (either too big of a phone or too small of a screen!)

Soldato
So last week my trusty S8+ dove out of my pocket whilst I was running across the road.....And then it got run over by a big white van...

So pulled out my old S6 edge....

Wow its slow.....lol

So all my email and settings are still alive on the S6... But when I did a restore to my new S8+ it didn't update the accounts....Is there an easy way to do this I have a dozen email accounts...meh... Or can anyone recommend a full backup/clone app

Caporegime
Gone back to the pixelizeD theme from the galaxy store.

Swift dark theme is lovely but far too much faff having to update on a daily basis then remove all the overlays every month for the system updates and then reinstall again.......

Soldato
Just a quick question for the S8 aficionados then, is the S8 a considerable upgrade from the iPhone 6plus if you put aside all of the "if you prefer iOS" stuff? It looks nicer to me, a mate's got one and it seems to perform a lot quicker, and it's on sale for £435 on Amazon at the moment with a 64gb SD card included. :confused:

Soldato
My youngest child kicked my S8 off the edge of the sofa a few weeks ago, despite it being in a decent Samsung case, it fell bang on the bottom left of the edged screen and shattered, with cracks running all up the side, and it was only from a few feet!

Told the insurance company, told me to take it nearest Samsung store, got it repaired for £210, they replaced the screen, the battery (not sure why) and also the USB-C charging port as it was being a bit rubbish in under 3 hours (albeit a quiet Sunday) whilst I went shopping - Sent the work sheet and invoice to insurance company, who refunded me within 3 days minus the £40 excess - can't complain really.

Other than the front of house staff being a set of morons in the actual Samsung store, pretending they're more than sales persons, everything was bob on! Missus got a S9 the day I dropped mine too - extra gutted!

Associate
Anyone had any problems with the usb-c port and charging? Admittedly i've not got another adaptive charger to try, but it seems to have become very temperamental with charging. Sometimes it will fast charge, sometimes normal or not detect the charger at all, other times it will pick up the charger is plugged in but the lose it so the phone doesn't charge. I can only assume the usb port is playing up.

Soldato
Having fitted a Whitestone Dome to my new S8+ on the 21st April, I am only now beginning to see signs of the LOCA adhesive losing adhesion on the edges of the glass. I have just returned from Italy where the phone did get a ton of abuse by me and it is very hot over there, which made me question the integrity of the stuff as it is a UV adhesive. Prior to this it has been rock solid dependable. You can't see the air pockets below with the screen on obviously and it is hard to notice it unless you really look.

This air pocket was only 1mm high when I noticed it upon returning to the Uk on the 15th. It is slowly getting larger.
lt8nJVZ.jpg

A much harder to see air pocket and this has remained the same size over the past few days.
M4aj4sR.jpg

Associate
Anyone had any problems with the usb-c port and charging? Admittedly i've not got another adaptive charger to try, but it seems to have become very temperamental with charging. Sometimes it will fast charge, sometimes normal or not detect the charger at all, other times it will pick up the charger is plugged in but the lose it so the phone doesn't charge. I can only assume the usb port is playing up.

Mine was also starting to do this after having owned it for just over a year, it was not quite as bad yours as it never refused to charge but fast charging was becoming temperamental. I just ended up selling it on to MusicMagpie and put the £300 towards a new s9 :)

Soldato
Mine was doing this also on the charger wouldn't stay inn the phone. I got a small sewing needle and went round the inside of the port on the phone. There was so much dust and stuff.

Phone now back to charging properly.

Associate
Mine was also starting to do this after having owned it for just over a year, it was not quite as bad yours as it never refused to charge but fast charging was becoming temperamental. I just ended up selling it on to MusicMagpie and put the £300 towards a new s9 :)

Same here. Its only very occasionally, and never doesn't charge, but fast charging has been temperamental.

Mine was doing this also on the charger wouldn't stay inn the phone. I got a small sewing needle and went round the inside of the port on the phone. There was so much dust and stuff.

Phone now back to charging properly.

Mine could probably do with a good clean, will check it tonight.

Soldato
My phone has picked this one up too but haven't installed it yet as Vodafone love to spam me with "you've changed your sim, please install new settings" texts a few hundred times after installing an update :mad:

How is it running?
Seems OK so far. No real difference in daily usage noticed thus far. When I rebooted, the phone was asking me as to what mobile provider I wanted to use: 3 or iD Mobile which I found a tad odd. I am with 3 so chose that.

Soldato
Hay all - can somebody point me in the direction of wireless chargers that definitely "Fast Charge" a Galaxy S8?
I've had a read through this thread, and a thread on another site. I married up the recommendations and found the products on Amazon and the like, and there you seem to get people saying "Well it doesn't fast charge this" or "Never fast charged my device".
Is this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FQY4F5/
Combined with the original Samsung Fast Charger (as supplied in the S8 box) an OK bet?

Cheers all.

Soldato
Well on Saturday I managed to break my first ever tempered glass by accident when my belt buckle during removal whacked the edge of my Whitestone Dome. It had been flawless since I fitted it in April and had recently taking a beating whilst on holiday in Italy. The airpockets that had appeared recently as mentioned in Post #4845 had stopped spreading too.

So my only choice was to obtain a replacement kit for £30, or utilise Whitestone's Lifetime warranty. I did the latter and the replacement kit cost me $12.99. Shockingly it arrived the following day.

At the same time whilst looking around I noticed this glass on Ebay. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123279518889?ViewItem=&item=123279518889. This looked like the exact same thing so I did some searching and stumbled across someone asking about it on Reddit, and a Whitestone employee stating it was the same thing as the dome...and for £15!

I should point out that the above item is just the glass+loca adhesive fyi so you still need a mounting jig and the UV lamp to cure the adhesive. I already have the lamp obviously as it comes with the full Dome kit anyway. The competitors FULL kit, which has everything is £22.99.

So my Whitestone Dome competitor glass should arrive any day now and I shall firstly try that. Should I have any issues I'll report back and then fit the Dome.

Hopefull the competitor stuff is good, which will lead to Whitestone dropping its crazy pricing.

XEOXAqX.jpg

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Well on Saturday I managed to break my first ever tempered glass by accident when my belt buckle during removal whacked the edge of my Whitestone Dome. It had been flawless since I fitted it in April and had recently taking a beating whilst on holiday in Italy. The airpockets that had appeared recently as mentioned in Post #4845 had stopped spreading too.

So my only choice was to obtain a replacement kit for £30, or utilise Whitestone's Lifetime warranty. I did the latter and the replacement kit cost me $12.99. Shockingly it arrived the following day.

At the same time whilst looking around I noticed this glass on Ebay. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123279518889?ViewItem=&item=123279518889. This looked like the exact same thing so I did some searching and stumbled across someone asking about it on Reddit, and a Whitestone employee stating it was the same thing as the dome...and for £15!

I should point out that the above item is just the glass+loca adhesive fyi so you still need a mounting jig and the UV lamp to cure the adhesive. I already have the lamp obviously as it comes with the full Dome kit anyway. The competitors FULL kit, which has everything is £22.99.

So my Whitestone Dome competitor glass should arrive any day now and I shall firstly try that. Should I have any issues I'll report back and then fit the Dome.

Hopefull the competitor stuff is good, which will lead to Whitestone dropping its crazy pricing.

Interested in knowing how you get on with this, currently on my 4th Spigen Neoflex since December

Soldato
Interested in knowing how you get on with this, currently on my 4th Spigen Neoflex since December
Shall do. Tbh don't waste time with film applications - no matter how many tech words get used it still offers very basic protection. Think I temporarily used some kind Spigen film also on my new S8+ whilst I waited for the Dome to arrive - after just two days it was filthy (oil deposits and just muck) and I actually look after my gear impeccably.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Shall do. Tbh don't waste time with film applications - no matter how many tech words get used it still offers very basic protection. Think I temporarily used some kind Spigen film also on my new S8+ whilst I waited for the Dome to arrive - after just two days it was filthy (oil deposits and just muck) and I actually look after my gear impeccably.

I have a UV lamp do you think you could get away with fitting it without the jig?

Back
Top Bottom