Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Thanks for that.

I've also found a few examples elsewhere on the internet but they're now mostly full of dead image links so not very informative.

Unfortunately there's no way the HDD cable from the N54L is going to reach where it'd need to plug-in without butchering the T20's case.

There don't appear to be any suitable extension cables available. I think I could convert to SFF-8088 and back again but that'd cost more than putting the T20 into a new chassis.

Soldato
I finally got around to upgrading my Gen8 to XPenology 6.1 put the problem is now all the apps that were installed previously show "stopped", when I try and start them it shows "Failed to run package service".

I have the same behaviour on:

Radarr
Sonarr
NZBGET

I'm sure somebody here must have had the sames issue, any help?

Associate
Check permissions on the working folders for those apps. If I remember correctly, 6.x (and Synocommunity) introduced a new permissions model, and the system accounts running the apps need access to the various folders... Think the accounts are named something like "sc-download" and the like. Fix those and you should be sorted.

I'm away from the NAS at the minute, and without access, otherwise I'd post more detailed info, but you should be able to plod through from the info above (I did when I setup a couple of 6.x).

Associate
Firstly do you need the xeon? What are you going to be running on it?
Reason I ask is you can pick up some compatible i3s & i5s (2c4t) for £40-60. The xeon L are quite expensive at £150-200 (4c/8t)
You then just match the ram to the CPU, 1333 or 1600 ECC. Personally I use Kingston and Crucial. 8 x 2 ECC 1600 kits are going for stupid money at the moment (£100-150), if you're patient you can pick them up sub £80.

Soldato
Firstly do you need the xeon? What are you going to be running on it?
Reason I ask is you can pick up some compatible i3s & i5s (2c4t) for £40-60. The xeon L are quite expensive at £150-200 (4c/8t)
You then just match the ram to the CPU, 1333 or 1600 ECC. Personally I use Kingston and Crucial. 8 x 2 ECC 1600 kits are going for stupid money at the moment (£100-150), if you're patient you can pick them up sub £80.

It's more because I saw the Xeon L at £90, but obviously there is the noise factor....

is there any specific part numbers for memory? I had brought 8GB (2x4GB) for my old Gen 7 which is not compatible in the Gen 8.

thinking of boosting the power to the best I can for as a little as possible and possibly getting hold of a second Gen 8 (if the cashback is still going)

maj

maj

Soldato
https://ark.intel.com/compare/53401,65703

15w less but lower clocks, so yeah that'd be cooler my a good chunk I should imagine, best thing to do, IMHO would be to decide how much power you need, then see what CPU's hit that level (maybe a bit beyond) then setup some search alerts on eBay etc.

I've already got the 1220l I'm just wondering if I made right choice with the i5 being cheaper (compared to what I paid) with same cores and faster clock speed but higher wattage. It even does hyper-threading.

I thought the Xeon would be better at Plex transcoding but maybe my logic was wrong.

Soldato
thinking of boosting the power to the best I can for as a little as possible and possibly getting hold of a second Gen 8 (if the cashback is still going)
As the Gen8 was replaced by the Gen10 a good while ago, hoping for cashback on a Gen 8 is at best optimistic......

I think the i5 3470T is the best value CPU for the Gen8. Compare CPU performance figures at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Soldato
I've already got the 1220l I'm just wondering if I made right choice with the i5 being cheaper (compared to what I paid) with same cores and faster clock speed but higher wattage. It even does hyper-threading.

I thought the Xeon would be better at Plex transcoding but maybe my logic was wrong.

Personally I'd pick the i5, still falls inside the 35w max for the stock heatsink and the faster clocks make it a win all round..

Soldato
You dont "need" too but the stock passive chunk of ally has a 35w limit, there are plenty of people on HSS that have put cardboard ducting to give the heatsink more airflow, put fans in there or done what I did and went for the newer SKU's heatpipe which has a 65w limit, there are plenty of people out there also, that have got 45w CPU's under the stock heatsink and are fine...

Back
Top Bottom