Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
You dont "need" too but the stock passive chunk of ally has a 35w limit, there are plenty of people on HSS that have put cardboard ducting to give the heatsink more airflow, put fans in there or done what I did and went for the newer SKU's heatpipe which has a 65w limit, there are plenty of people out there also, that have got 45w CPU's under the stock heatsink and are fine...
sounds like something to look into....

Anyone have any Part numbers for memory ?

Soldato
Hens teeth to get hold of, I paid full price for mine, was just over $100 delivered :eek:
Cant remember what I sold it for now but if you want a decent fit rather than some of the dodgy looking, only connected by 2 screws and a few cable ties sort of thing its the only decent option, imho of course...

Soldato
Hens teeth to get hold of, I paid full price for mine, was just over $100 delivered :eek:
Cant remember what I sold it for now but if you want a decent fit rather than some of the dodgy looking, only connected by 2 screws and a few cable ties sort of thing its the only decent option, imho of course...
heatsink`s are going for £100

Associate
No, the Gen10 is much more expensive, has a fixed CPU and no ILO. Read the dedicated thread to see why you don't want one.

And AMD.... Maybe a second gen 8 is on the cards

Have either of you used the Gen10?

Yes it is missing features from the Gen8 but if those features are not required (like they weren't for me) then the Gen10 is perfectly decent server for what it is. It obviously depends on what you are doing with for sure but as a media server and the like there is nothing wrong with it.

Stoner81.

Don
I have 2 Gen8 microservers running a Kubernetes cluster for learnings and stuff... I love them they both have 16Gb of RAM and a Xeon 1230 v 2 in them.... needed the iLO so Gen10 was out of the question and I'm not sure about the CPUs either.

Stelly

lcg

lcg

Associate
I have 2 Gen8 microservers running a Kubernetes cluster for learnings and stuff... I love them they both have 16Gb of RAM and a Xeon 1230 v 2 in them.... needed the iLO so Gen10 was out of the question and I'm not sure about the CPUs either.

Stelly
Do you use any extra CPU cooling? I also have 2 with Xeon 1270 v2 and 1220 v2. I'm just using the 35W heatsink and the temperatures seem to be reasonable. I'm interested to know what other people with 69W TDP CPUs are doing.

Don
Do you use any extra CPU cooling? I also have 2 with Xeon 1270 v2 and 1220 v2. I'm just using the 35W heatsink and the temperatures seem to be reasonable. I'm interested to know what other people with 69W TDP CPUs are doing.

A Noctua NH-L9i and a dremel to line up the screw holes and its amazing, really really good... hardest part is getting the screws in mate... but once its on cool and nice :)

Stelly

maj

maj

Soldato
Is there much difference between the Xeon E3-1265L and the Xeon E3-1265L v2? I have the former in the post but might return it (but will probably be burned on return costs) if it isn't the right one to get.

Don
Is there much difference between the Xeon E3-1265L and the Xeon E3-1265L v2? I have the former in the post but might return it (but will probably be burned on return costs) if it isn't the right one to get.

I run a 1240 at the moment and I'm spending around 2/3p an hour

Stelly

Associate
Does anyone have any clever way of dampening the noise from mechanical hdds in the Gen8? I have it on my desk next to my main machine, and the 4TB RED Pros are pretty noisy when content is being written. I will probably re-locate it in the long run, but need to keep it where it is for the time being

Soldato
I put round self-adhesive felt pads under each foot. Same principle as Quartz's rubber mat but possibly a little neater. My work-room has a laminated wood floor which acts as a sounding board unless I isolate any source of noise.

Associate
Hi - I am a newbie to Overclockers Forum - apologies for any faux-pas
I have had a HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer sitting around for years waiting for me to configure it as a home server. Now I have retired I can get around to it.

My main uses will be storing media (photos, music. videos), file access and backups. It will be on a wired network with two Windows 8 laptops (and maybe a smart TV much later). I have WHS2011 available and also Ubuntu Linux distribution. I am reasonably familiar with the Windows environment but have limited knowledge of Linux. I have two simple questions that I cannot find answers to despite trawling through endless websites and forums.
1/ Which OS would best suit my situation? Most people seem to opt for Linux-base servers but would this be the best option for me if I can access WHS2011 free?
2/ If I go the Linux route (which I like because of the low overhead in hardware etc) how do I connect the Windows laptops on the network and will the Windows-based packages on my laptops such as Microsoft Office and my utilities (eg backup software) be able to access the storage on the Linux-based server.

I have tried to wade through all 555 pages of this thread to find an answer - apologies if I missed it.
Thanks
John

Soldato
I suggest having a look at an *ix-based NAS product rather than 'raw' Linux as it has all the features you need available more easily. My personal recommendation is XigmaNAS but there also FreeNAS, Openmediavault, Unraid and more. Some here will also plug Xpenology which is a hack of Synology's NAS firmware. Access is exactly the same as with a Windows server in that the clients can see the shares you configure.

WHS2011 runs well on the Gen8 Microserver and I expect it will on the N40L as well but I'm not sure if the automated backup handles W10 clients.

I think you should try both to see which you prefer. XigmaNAS runs from a USB stick so you can quite easily switch between the two but note that the storage drives will not be compatible.

I'm also a retiree and am fortunate to have two Gen8s, one running WHS2011 and the other XigmaNAS.

Back
Top Bottom