• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you think AMD will be able to compete with Nvidia again during the next few years?

Do you think AMD will be able to compete with Nvidia again during the next few years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
WTF are You taking cause smoking does not provide that much of delusional experience.
30 second google
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12170/nvidia-titan-v-preview-titanomachy/5

93694.png

Maybe I'm blind but this looks like 200% to me not 23....

And All here know that Vega was PATHETIC piece of late junk.

Erm that's a compute bench. Have a look at some gaming benchmarks which Panos was clearly talking about.

HardOcp Titan V review.

The new game Kingdom Come: Deliverance did very well with TITAN V delivering 40% more performance than GTX 1080 Ti FE at 4K. When we pushed the settings higher at 4K that increased to 44% faster performance. At 1440p the difference dropped to 21%. PUBG was about 30% faster on TITAN V at 4K and 22% at 1440p.Mass Effect was near 30% at 4K but rose higher at 1440p when we introduced more GPU-bound graphics settings. Sniper Elite 4 surprised us by being 34% faster at 4K and 33% faster at 1440p, despite having really fast FPS. The only game that wasn’t impressive was Fallout 4.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/20/nvidia_titan_v_video_card_gaming_review/19

HardOcp found an average of around 30% and some sites had there average lower from what i remember most likely due to the games tested and differences in the cards used.

Benchmark done Fully overclocked on Final Fantasy at 4k by Kaap compared to similar OC 1080 ti. As you can see 29% faster.

1. Score 6675, GPU TitanV @2032/1039, CPU 6950X @4.4, Kaapstad Link 398.36 Drivers
  2. Score 6300, GPU TitanV @2055/1000, CPU 7980XE @4.8, Kaapstad Link 388.59 Drivers
  3. Score 5341, GPU TitanXP @2063/3150, CPU 6950X @4.4, Kaapstad Link 390.77 Drivers
  4. Score 5174, GPU 1080 Ti @2025/2980, CPU 2700X @4.2, kitfit1 Link 398.11 Drivers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It has to do with everything. They didn't wrote "poor Pascal".
And you haven't seen a single mainstream Volta card you only believe that it will be better than Pascal.

However I point at you the Titan V and it's benchmarks in comparison to GTX1080Ti FE and you ignore them.
Is a chip twice the size than the GTX1080Ti with much faster VRAM, yet only ~24% faster than the GTX1080Ti FE (not the best sample either)
If you chop HALF the Volta chip off to bring it in size to the GTX1080Ti, what performance could have?
That's extrapolation as in mathematics, and not blind belief.

The 1080 Ti does not have DP and Tensor cores which make the Titan V chips so large.

A dedicated Volta gaming card with just SP cores will be a lot smaller.

We also need to keep an eye on performance as NVidia optimise the drivers for Volta and gaming.

Permabanned
Another idiotic generalisation from you. Go to the owners thread, lots of people are very happy with their Vega cards.
Well after I had a look at the Crushing competition Vega money I SAVED UP FOR IT got me a Pascal Titan. Much happier with it :D

@TheRealDeal as I read it He says: Do you realise that the video about "Poor Volta" was in relation to compute and not game graphics?
Well So linked compute
Then again no point of even linking this Titan V as Titan Xp is faster than Vega Frontier average 30%
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Titan-Xp-vs-AMD-Vega-Frontier-Edition/m265423vs3929
@Kaapstad as I see it Titan V is what Titan cards should be. An pro card that You can play games on :) What Amd tried to sell Vega Frontier as with Game mode that did well Nothing :D

Blast from the past. Simply briliant :D

Oh the pro customer AMD asking them to not post review cause the 1k card is well crap lol

Last edited:
Soldato
When he was comparing 1080ti v Titan V it was obviously for games.
Yes but it was on the basis of lack of scaling Vs it's absolute huge die size with features sat unutilised. The same argument I made with Vegas huge die size compared to fiji, with the wasted die space on non gaming components sat unused. With the lack of progress bar just achieving 250-400mhz.

Edit and the 1080ti is a salvaged die, not full fat.

Soldato
Yes but it was on the basis of lack of scaling Vs it's absolute huge die size with features sat unutilised. The same argument I made with Vegas huge die size compared to fiji, with the wasted die space on non gaming components sat unused. With the lack of progress bar just achieving 250-400mhz.

Edit and the 1080ti is a salvaged die, not full fat.

I was just comparing the gaming performance and nothing more. I understand the rest but when somebody is hinting at a 200% difference when this does not translate to games you have to answer.

Man of Honour
I was just comparing the gaming performance and nothing more. I understand the rest but when somebody is hinting at a 200% difference when this does not translate to games you have to answer.

Volta and Pascal SP cores have almost identical performance and clockspeeds.

New Volta gaming cards will get a speed bump over Pascal by packing more SP cores.

Soldato
Volta and Pascal SP cores have almost identical performance and clockspeeds.

New Volta gaming cards will get a speed bump over Pascal by packing more SP cores.

Yea that will be the case but how much more cores and how much more performance. I just can't see Volta being a huge step forward performance wise. Titan V is also held back some as even at 4k HardOcp were saying it was still cpu bottlenecked in some cases. The gaming card will likely fair better here. It's an interesting one and Nvidia do have a habit of surprising me in what they can do. Still there is no huge need for them to push the boat to the maximum with the competition lagging atm. I still think they need to pull something pretty fast out to generate huge sales.

Permabanned
Yea that will be the case but how much more cores and how much more performance. I just can't see Volta being a huge step forward performance wise. Titan V is also held back some as even at 4k HardOcp were saying it was still cpu bottlenecked in some cases. The gaming card will likely fair better here. It's an interesting one and Nvidia do have a habit of surprising me in what they can do. Still there is no huge need for them to push the boat to the maximum with the competition lagging atm. I still think they need to pull something pretty fast out to generate huge sales.
The jump needs to be Big enough to make people with 1080tis start thinking about upgrading to 1180. So I guess 15-20% should cut it.

Also i wounder if they will have Titan variant or go just ALL OUT on this 12nm and 1180 will be full fat uncut gaming card. I think It can happen since 12nm is basically an 12 months ponny.

I also think TI of nex gen will be 7nm card :)

Soldato
OP
The jump needs to be Big enough to make people with 1080tis start thinking about upgrading to 1180. So I guess 15-20% should cut it.

Also i wounder if they will have Titan variant or go just ALL OUT on this 12nm and 1180 will be full fat uncut gaming card. I think It can happen since 12nm is basically an 12 months ponny.

I also think TI of nex gen will be 7nm card :)

If its only 15% to 20% then you might as well not bother. Its like ditching a GTX970 to get a GTX1060.

Permabanned
If its only 15% to 20% then you might as well not bother. Its like ditching a GTX970 to get a GTX1060.
Thrust me it will be tempting enough for allt of people. Thats how you Sell stuff AMD should learn from nv. 20% is enough for many ti buyers to get NEW AND SHINY.

Only reason i have not jumped feom 980ti to 1080 was bios edit and running it at 1515mhz on core constant. In furmrk iw seen 980ti pull over 400w thats vega overclock level.

What i hate most about nv is the encripted bios on pascal god damn tdp limit.....

Soldato
OP
Thrust me it will be tempting enough for allt of people. Thats how you Sell stuff AMD should learn from nv. 20% is enough for many ti buyers to get NEW AND SHINY.

Only reason i have not jumped feom 980ti to 1080 was bios edit and running it at 1515mhz on core constant. In furmrk iw seen 980ti pull over 400w thats vega overclock level.

What i hate most about nv is the encripted bios on pascal god damn tdp limit.....

I don't know any gamer who would upgrade for 15% to 20% though. I think the only people I knew who ever did that,just liked buying new hardware since it was their hobby.

But then I don't know a single person in real life who bought a GTX970 and replaced it with a GTX1060.

I expect many people who buy the GTX1100/GTX2000 series will be getting more than a 15% to 20% jump since they have older cards,or Nvidia supports something like ray tracing and is useable on the newer cards.

The last time I remember Nvidia pushing that level of upgrade was on the GTX900 series with the GTX960 over the GTX760,and I don't think many did that upgrade either.

Usually its more like a 30% to 50% increase.

Permabanned
I don't know any gamer who would upgrade for 15% to 20% though. I think the only people I knew who ever did that,just liked buying new hardware since it was their hobby.

But then I don't know a single person in real life who bought a GTX970 and replaced it with a GTX1060.

I expect many people who buy the GTX1100/GTX2000 series will be getting more than a 15% to 20% jump since they have older cards,or Nvidia supports something like ray tracing and is useable on the newer cards.

The last time I remember Nvidia pushing that level of upgrade was on the GTX900 series with the GTX960 over the GTX760,and I don't think many did that upgrade either.

Usually its more like a 30% to 50% increase.
just did a quick check

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3439vs3603
Well jump was average of 28% But that was jump from 28 to 16 nm. And now we got 16 to 12 i see no chance of 28% jump cause of that.
Depends how much gain ddr6 will gieffff

Soldato
OP
just did a quick check

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3439vs3603
Well jump was average of 28% But that was jump from 28 to 16 nm. And now we got 16 to 12 i see no chance of 28% jump cause of that.
Depends how much gain ddr6 will gieffff

They went from an 8 billion 601MM2 GPU with the GTX980TI to a 7.2 billion 314MM2 GPU with the GTX1080,although the GTX980TI didn't use a fully enabled GPU in the GTX980TI,and the GTX980TI was apparently underclocked a bit.

The GP102 in the GTX1080TI/Titan X is actually smaller than average when it comes to the Nvidia large GPU flagships,which tended to be 529MM2 to 601MM2,ie,its under 500MM2.

12NM is lower leakage,so you can throw more transistors for a similar level of power consumption,so I expect Nvidia will increase die size,which they have plenty of room to do.

An example is Maxwell. So they could increase die size from the 471MM2 in the GP102 to over 600MM2,and then use much faster GDDR6 as a replacement for the GTX1080TI. One leak of a dev board,hinted at a GPU over 600MM2.

For the GTX1080 replacement,they could get another 30% improvement there by increasing die size from 314MM2 to 400MM2 to 450MM2 and using faster RAM.

With Maxwell that is what they did - they increased die size over the GTX770,and cut down the size of the memory controller over the GTX780TI.

Permabanned
They went from an 8 billion 601MM2 GPU with the GTX980TI to a 7.2 billion 314MM2 GPU with the GTX1080,although the GTX980TI didn't use a fully enabled GPU in the GTX980TI,and the GTX980TI was apparently underclocked a bit.

The GP102 in the GTX1080TI/Titan X is actually smaller than average when it comes to the Nvidia large GPU flagships,which tended to be 529MM2 to 601MM2,ie,its under 500MM2.

12NM is lower leakage,so you can throw more transistors for a similar level of power consumption,so I expect Nvidia will increase die size,which they have plenty of room to do.

An example is Maxwell. So they could increase die size from the 471MM2 in the GP102 to over 600MM2,and then use much faster GDDR6 as a replacement for the GTX1080TI. One leak of a dev board,hinted at a GPU over 600MM2.

For the GTX1080 replacement,they could get another 30% improvement there by increasing die size from 314MM2 to 400MM2 to 450MM2 and using faster RAM.

With Maxwell that is what they did - they increased die size over the GTX770,and cut down the size of the memory controller over the GTX780TI.

I know Ill wait for next Ti anyway. WoW in 3D runs better than ever besides that Zen 2 will be out before that and want one :p

Soldato
in my option, They managed to catchup with intel so I would not be surprised if they do the same for Nvidia, It will just take a little time and focus from them.

Permabanned
as I read it He says: Do you realise that the video about "Poor Volta" was in relation to compute and not game graphics?
Well So linked compute

From what I remember the Poor Volta sign was in the Drummer Boy video which was all about gaming.

Here it is,

The Radeon Rebellion was about gaming.

Last edited:
Permabanned
And All here know that Vega was PATHETIC piece of late junk.

Late yes, Thirsty yes, Pathetic no.

Those of us that didn't sip Koduri's cool aid knew we were only getting a 1080 competitor, The only surprise was the power draw. Vega's achilles heal was pricing & that was thanks to mining. They were selling for £800 & prices on OCUK went as high as £1100. Today you can get a decent V64 for £530 which is about right for what it is. If there was no mining madness going on it would have been received a lot better than it was.

Back
Top Bottom