• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you think AMD will be able to compete with Nvidia again during the next few years?

Do you think AMD will be able to compete with Nvidia again during the next few years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permabanned
AMD makes Videos posters and Hype
NV makes cards and sels them :p

Sadly true, but at least Koduri's gone now, he was as slippery as an eel.

I'm both looking forward to Intel offering gpu's that can take advantage of my Adaptive sync monitor as it gives me an alternative (If I haven't already moved to a new monitor by then), But I'm also on my guard as it's Koduri we're all relying on again.

Soldato
Sadly true, but at least Koduri's gone now, he was as slippery as an eel.

The hype isn't all AMD's fault though. They went out of their way to make sure everyone knew that Polaris was going to be a mainstream card replacing the 380. Had a press release and everything. And yet, still, some people thought it was going to be faster than the 980ti. Remember the frenzy in here by some people? Gibbo had to come in and sort of break the NDA to calm everybody down.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The hype isn't all AMD's fault though. They went out of their way to make sure everyone knew that Polaris was going to be a mainstream card replacing the 380. Had a press release and everything. And yet, still people thought it was going to be faster than the 980ti. Remember the frenzy in here by some people? Gibbo had to come in and sort of break the NDA to calm everybody down.

Some people :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why people believed that, Wasn't it WCCFtech who fueled the flames? and to make matters worse Koduri started mentioning WCCF by name on other matters giving them credence which takes me back to him being as slippery as an eel. :D

Soldato
OP
WCCFtech and their "beast mode" RX480 cards. LMAO.

I remember in the Polaris thread,I even posted one of the leaks from China weeks before the launch which said the RX480 would be close to a R9 290/390 and still people believed WCCFtech. AMD even said it was entry level for VR and entry level for VR was an R9 290 on the AMD side at the time.

Soldato
WCCFtech and their "beast mode" RX480 cards. LMAO.

I remember in the Polaris thread,I even posted one of the leaks from China weeks before the launch which said the RX480 would be close to a R9 290/390 and still people believed WCCFtech. AMD even said it was entry level for VR and entry level for VR was an R9 290 on the AMD side at the time.

WCCFtech did the same with Vega, and look at the 11xx series (or what ever is called).
Since last September (2017) there is always few weeks apart and article stating "end of the year", "January", March, April, May, July, August.
And they make a big announcement last few days about the "august release", even if back in April Nvidia had posted that on the August 20th event they will be discussing about new gaming cards.

Also back in 2016 their upcoming GTX1080Ti was even more hilarious. Every month after May 2016 it was supposed shortly in "few weeks". Some time they got it right in March 2017 :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
Late yes, Thirsty yes, Pathetic no.

Those of us that didn't sip Koduri's cool aid knew we were only getting a 1080 competitor, The only surprise was the power draw. Vega's achilles heal was pricing & that was thanks to mining. They were selling for £800 & prices on OCUK went as high as £1100. Today you can get a decent V64 for £530 which is about right for what it is. If there was no mining madness going on it would have been received a lot better than it was.
Well price after the START ONES was plain retarded not a single sane person would gotten it at that price

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ah, crap!! sorry, I meant to write some people!! Edited my post. Thanks!! :)

Still people read fine too. :)

Well prie after the START ONES was plain retarded not a single sne person would gotten it at that price

It was disappointing that prices went up straight away, I was one of the people who ordered the card as soon as ordering went live, I was told it would be delivered tomorrow just for it to not turn up on the day & OCUK claimed they mixed up the orders, That really peed me off as I'd been practically begging them to take my money in advance which they wouldn't do, I ended up sitting here all morning waiting for ordering to start and still I didn't get one.

Soldato
OP
The major fail of Vega 56/64 is the production costs - apparently they had to buy Samsung HBM2 as the cheaper Hynix HBM2 was not available in time,and it made the cards even more expensive to make. Also the chip is quite big too,and things like the FP16 compute might prove useful in the future but is only used in some games.

Soldato
The major fail of Vega 56/64 is the production costs - apparently they had to buy Samsung HBM2 as the cheaper Hynix HBM2 was not available in time,and it made the cards even more expensive to make. Also the chip is quite big too,and things like the FP16 compute might prove useful in the future but is only used in some games.
The problem with AMD's hardware in general seem to be always the case of being "ahead of their time", with the benefits coming so late that it no longer relevance to sales with the products already EOL for years.

Remember we all gone for Intel quad-core/i5 over CPUs like the FX8350 because most game engines don't make use of the extra cores, and the core i CPU has much higher IPC and overclock like beast? Fast forward to today, with the upcoming games like the PC version of the Monster Hunter World that is hinted to be extremely CPU taxing and will use full extent of the 8 cores, the FX8350 may actually wipe the floor with same gen Intel quad-cores like the i5 2000~ i5 4000 K-series.

Permabanned
The problem with AMD's hardware in general seem to be always the case of being "ahead of their time", with the benefits coming so late that it no longer relevance to sales with the products already EOL for years.

Remember we all gone for Intel quad-core/i5 over CPUs like the FX8350 because most game engines don't make use of the extra cores, and the core i CPU has much higher IPC and overclock like beast? Fast forward to today, with the upcoming games like the PC version of the Monster Hunter World that is hinted to be extremely CPU taxing and will use full extent of the 8 cores, the FX8350 may actually wipe the floor with same gen Intel quad-cores like the i5 2000~ i5 4000 K-series.
Ye only hmmm 7 years later when most dont have of fx of sandy :D

Soldato

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to TrueAudio taking off!

Soldato
Ye only hmmm 7 years later when most dont have of fx of sandy :D
Not sure about people on the FX, but lots of people (myself included) are still rocking our overclocked Sandy, and only until now that really seem to be the time that we would actually need 8 cores CPUs :D

lol I have completely forgotten about that, (probably so did the game developers lmao). Well, at least Freesync useful, and don't require devs support for it to work.

Soldato

lol I have completely forgotten about that, (probably so did the game developers lmao). Well, at least Freesync useful, and don't require devs support for it to work.

Actually I think it's still going. Didn't they announce something earlier this year about working with Valve and Steam Audio? It's sort of like mantle, it has evolved to True Audio Next.

Permabanned
Not sure about people on the FX, but lots of people (myself included) are still rocking our overclocked Sandy, and only until now that really seem to be the time that we would actually need 8 cores CPUs :D

Do you really believe this story?! :eek:

People didn't go from Intel 2000 series to Intel 7000 series because of the not convincing performance increase.

As to whether we need more cores, how about to check all forums to see how many people complain of stuttering with Intel setups?!

Soldato
Do you really believe this story?! :eek:

People didn't go from Intel 2000 series to Intel 7000 series because of the not convincing performance increase.

As to whether we need more cores, how about to check all forums to see how many people complain of stuttering with Intel setups?!

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Check all the forums and see how many people have been complaining about stuttering with AMD setups.

Soldato
Btw for those believing still that AMD doesn't compete, have a look here

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Monst...cials/PC-Specs-Benchmark-Test-Review-1262273/

A lot of GPU cards used for both companies, on a very demanding game with latest drivers.

What I see is Nvidia trying to compete with AMD on cards bellow the halo products of the Titan and GTX1080Ti.
Not the other way around.

@CAT-THE-FIFTH maybe you should change the thread to "Do you thing Nvidia will be able to compete bellow halo products?" :D

Also look at the R9 290X/390X. Seriously this one will die fighting over the next 5 years also....

What I see is Nvidia trying to compete with AMD on cards bellow the halo products of the Titan and GTX1080Ti.
The 1080ti is 25% than a Vega LIQUID, where is AMD even competing?

How about another recent game like Yakuz 0? The 1070 is beating Vega 64! Where is AMD even competing?

1440.png
2160.png

Caporegime
Btw for those believing still that AMD doesn't compete, have a look here

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Monst...cials/PC-Specs-Benchmark-Test-Review-1262273/

A lot of GPU cards used for both companies, on a very demanding game with latest drivers.

@CAT-THE-FIFTH maybe you should change the thread to "Do you thing Nvidia will be able to compete bellow halo products?" :D

Also look at the R9 290X/390X. Seriously this one will die fighting over the next 5 years also....
Mate, this is being rather optimistic but it does bring a smile to my face. You have cherry picked a test and based your statement on that one game :D Whilst I admire your effort and commitment, it is probably best to look at many games and see what is what. Plus the fact that NVidia do have the trump card in the 1080Ti, which AMD have nothing to counter it with.

Back
Top Bottom