X399 Aorus Xtreme

Soldato
OP
The VRM is not a concern here its teh Bios and memory stuff that is!!!!!!

depends on the market but the need to sort out their designare range . Most users wanting 32 core workstation rig will slap in 3000hz cheapest ram and wont overclock - but as you say, those picking up the above want ...POWER, power power :D

be nice to see all the x399 boards running 32core in a shoot off . Wondering if in 'gaming mode' only using 8 cores will have any effect and ram speed for the chip and then a given board

Associate
The VRM is not a concern here its teh Bios and memory stuff that is!!!!!!
pretty much this, I used pretty damn impressive board vrm wise but the bios is even more important. For example, I had the MSI Z87 Xpower with 32 quad-doubled phase system, the asrock z87 oc formula smoked it. Then the Z170 SOC Force got smoked by asrock z170 oc formula,...

Associate
Yeah 4 x 16GB DR G-Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ on Asrock X399 Fat Pro Gaming is an absolute pita to run over 3133MHz, for the life of me I can't get 3200MHz stable with this 4 x 16GB DR kit though 3133MHz with tight timings is 99% there. 16GB DR stick x 4 are just hard to get running stable at higher frequency on X399 from my experience, though I can get my G-Skill Flare X 3200MHz 4 x 8GB SR - 32GB to run 3400MHz tight timings fairly easily with newest AGESA 3.20 bios for the board but 64GB of the DR modules just won't budge beyond 3133MHz max from my playing around.

Bios and AGESA have made big differences with this board and it's clocking of memory.

Associate
That's $809 AU dollars, I just ordered MSI X399 MEG here and it's $746 + $17 shipping and $14 insurance with total $785 AU. Asus Zenith Extreme is $689 AU here atm.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
thats not a bad price for Zenith mind! i hope asus send out the cooling kit free of charge to owners- would be a nice touch for customer service

You'd think so. Apparently it's being bundled with the Zenith from now on, so it would take the michael a wee bit if existing Zenith owners had to pay for something new owners get as part of the deal. But then apparently it's not actually that good when you're pushing the 2990.

Soldato
OP
To be fair it is a "first look", but I'm pretty sure pictures of the board have been online for ages, so we've already looked and looked and looked.

i scrolled to the end and was like... outstanding . you get a board and yet dont have a chip. haha

I can see what you mean by asus zenith now

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...99_creation_and_threadripper_2990wx_review/16

thats impressive ! both have 8 phases - asus having the better IR units and controller , but doubling down and having a masisve heatsink... damn!

and people didn't believe me when i said x399 Aorus 7 wasn't designed to handle 32 core chip overclocked and why they made the Xtreme has extra tier product , great for 12/16 core but not 24/32 -

Soldato
i scrolled to the end and was like... outstanding . you get a board and yet dont have a chip. haha

I can see what you mean by asus zenith now

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...99_creation_and_threadripper_2990wx_review/16

thats impressive ! both have 8 phases - asus having the better IR units and controller , but doubling down and having a masisve heatsink... damn!

and people didn't believe me when i said x399 Aorus 7 wasn't designed to handle 32 core chip overclocked and why they made the Xtreme has extra tier product , great for 12/16 core but not 24/32 -

I didn't read the article but the MEG has 16 phases not 8...

And even buildzoid is impressed with the VRMs which make the Zenith look pathetic. Hell even the X470 CH7 has better power delivery

Soldato
OP
I didn't read the article but the MEG has 16 phases not 8...

And even buildzoid is impressed with the VRMs which make the Zenith look pathetic. Hell even the X470 CH7 has better power delivery

meg users a doubler - so 8 TRUE phases . fact that using doubler helps greatly with heat . Even listed in MSI page in their VRM diagram - because its a TRUE double phase set up unlike what Gigabte did with Aorus X470 Ultra and B450 Pro they havent got any wording or terms wrong.

Meg replaces their previous boards which were 10 phase or 5 doubled . Aorus Gaming 7 was 8 now replaced with 10 True phases as their 8 before hand couldn't handle 32 core (50A rated compared to zenith 60A) .

goes to show- doubling/grouping of phases can work out better then having true single VRMs as heat load is spread

On paper, the MSI MEG X399 creation has a nineteen-phase power delivery, which it indeed does, but upon closer inspection, the CPU phase is actually split into two banks of eight due to MSI electing to make use of eight Infineon IR3599 doublers. The CPU area is formidable with MSI opting for sixteen Infineon TDA21472 dual power stages for the CPU VCore and CPU input voltage. Each of the sixteen TDA21472 power stages has its own dedicated choke with the CPU section taking direction from an International Rectifier IR35201 eight phase PWM controller operating at 8+0.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13189/the-msi-meg-x399-creation-motherboard-review/2

question is - how will aorus xtreme do compared against the two as its the middle option in terms of phase count/design

Soldato
meg users a doubler - so 8 TRUE phases . fact that using doubler helps greatly with heat . Even listed in MSI page in their VRM diagram - because its a TRUE double phase set up unlike what Gigabte did with Aorus X470 Ultra and B450 Pro they havent got any wording or terms wrong.

Meg replaces their previous boards which were 10 phase or 5 doubled . Aorus Gaming 7 was 8 now replaced with 10 True phases as their 8 before hand couldn't handle 32 core (50A rated compared to zenith 60A) .

goes to show- doubling/grouping of phases can work out better then having true single VRMs as heat load is spread

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13189/the-msi-meg-x399-creation-motherboard-review/2

question is - how will aorus xtreme do compared against the two as its the middle option in terms of phase count/design

I trust Builzoid more than anandetch. He has the board and went through on each of it's chips.

If he says that given the IR chip used this is a 16 phase board, then it is a 16 phase board regardless the doubler according to him. Watch the video. It compares it to the rest like the Zenith.

And it cannot go better than this. Also everything depends the doublers. This one are not working in connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I trust Builzoid more than anandetch. He has the board and went through on each of it's chips.

If he says that given the IR chip used this is a 16 phase board, then it is a 16 phase board regardless the doubler according to him. Watch the video. It compares it to the rest like the Zenith

16 phases still tied to one 8 phase controller looking through it (Unless i missed the second controller) - but cant be helped . which is why im guessing MSI uses their Phase diagram
technically guessing- its true doubling .. Begs the question why zenith wasnt changed - even if its just marketing point of view, asus profits are a lot more then MSI

power-set.png

Soldato
16 phases still tied to one 8 phase controller looking through it (Unless i missed the second controller) - but cant be helped . which is why im guessing MSI uses their Phase diagram
technically guessing- its true doubling .. Begs the question why zenith wasnt changed - even if its just marketing point of view, asus profits are a lot more then MSI

power-set.png

There is no controler for 16 single phases. And MSI has done a damn good job as possible can with the tech we have.
There are two types of doubling. The like of MSI with the MEG and the likes of Asrock with their B450 board. The latter is just down to wiring and no true doublers used, with all sorts of issues. The former (MEG) is using proper hardware doubler and if there is space on the board they could easily go down for another 16 phases, as the doubler chips support quadroupling also.
In addition the VRMs are some ridiculous ones from Xeon server boards designed for 1.8v not 1.2v, also are 70A ones. Not cheap crap.
Even he says, overclocking a 2990WX more likely will stop on heat generated inside the CPU and not even LN2 can help it, than run out of power capacity supplied by the VRMs.

Which comes also to the ram and SOC power phases, which are overkill also!!!.

So the MEG truly worth it's £500 pricetag. Asus is selling a fan, for their board VRM that can only handle the 2990WX at stock speeds.
Also the VRM heatsink on the MEG is a big monstrocity that actually works!

Soldato
OP
SOC vrms better the most boards haha - did make me chuckle .

think the last boards to use quadroupling was asrock - surprised they haven't gone balls deep like MSI this time around . Know they had issues like lower Aorus boards for doubling claims

if there is space on the board they could easily go down for another 16 phases, as the doubler chips support quadroupling also.

begs the quesiton with zen2 - will we see true EATX boards for prosumers if in theory even more cores can be added haha

seems kitGuru has a board- hopefully OC3D will follow suit, since they'll got the Meg vs Zenith up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HOYJ9h4Pfs

Last edited:
Soldato
SOC vrms better the most boards haha - did make me chuckle .

think the last boards to use quadroupling was asrock - surprised they haven't gone balls deep like MSI this time around . Know they had issues like lower Aorus boards for doubling claims

begs the quesiton with zen2 - will we see true EATX boards for prosumers if in theory even more cores can be added haha
Hahahah :D

Asrock has made some great boards for Z170 especially (the Formula OC was a beast), shame they didn't follow up in X399.
That could have been awesome to have a X399 Formula OC, especially in black & yellow colours like the Z170 one.

But on VRM side, seems the Gigabyte Z77 Wolverine holds the 1st place still :p
76a.jpg

And the second place with the 32 phase one :p

GA-Z77-UP7_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom