Would you allow social media sites to know your banking details?

Soldato
As the recent news that Facebook wants to hold your banking details so you are able to get check your balance, pay for things, and get billing information via its messenger app, the question as to be asked;

Would you want social media sites to know your bank account details?

There are benefits in what Facebook wants to do. But is that a bridge too far, or are you ok with it?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...k-access-anyones-bank-account-horrifying.html

I noticed Facebook are denying they are actively approaching banks for customer details. But in order to have access to transaction and billing data, they would need some kind of access to your accounts.

Soldato
Lots of places are trying to pull everyone's data into one central place, but for me, the more data they have the more damage is done in the case of a data breach.

I'd much rather have my data shared out over lots of sites than just a couple.

And that's not even starting on what they'd do with the data they collect on spending.

Associate
I have noticed recently PayPal have been asking if I want my receipts to be sent to me via Facebook messenger. Why would I want FB to know what I have been buying?

As for FB having my bank details, no thanks!!!

Associate
I noticed when I went to China, one of the popular social media platforms (WeChat) has a similar payment system and was everywhere. It has become fairly ubiquitous over there, you could go to a small noodle stand and use it. Sounds like Facebook is trying to copy it but I would never trust them to hold my name and address let alone my banking information.

Caporegime
Hahaha, not even three months ago "ye soz lol we gave all ur stuffz to cambridge analytica"

Today: "can we haz ur bank details plz"

The sad part is there are people out there who do it too.

Soldato
Banks can now share your banking information with 3rd partys if you agree to it, so this will become more common. Facebook really just wants meta data to use for better marketing, no one's interested in what our personal spending habits are at an individual level, unless you happen to be someone who's well known/rich.

Soldato
Open banking has been here for a while. The chaps at Money Dashboard are doing good things with it, but they're quite open about the value being the accumulated user data. I imagine Facebook want it for the same reasons. 250 million people already use Apple Pay, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of Facebook's 2 billion + users who'll be willing to share if they feel that there's something in it for them.

Back
Top Bottom