Any roofing experts here?

Soldato
Hi guys.

My felt roof is damaged and there is sag on the roof too. (water is running down into the wall in the room/kitchen below when it rains)

Will this need a full new roof and total new felt ?

felt.JPG

Soldato
Our flat garage roof went at the corners. Can't remember if the company we used to fix it put new boards in the corner or not, but with new felt and sealed up it was fine until we sold that house.

Soldato
I'd certainly prepare yourself for a full re roof. We had ours patched a few times in the past but it only lasted a few years so eventually ended up replacing the lot.

At the very least they'll need to strip back the felt in that area to change the damaged board. If you're really lucky and the rot hasn't spread then they could just replace that section but then it means splicing layers of felt into the existing, which is where the issues seem to lie.

A complete re-felt and changing only the damaged boards is a good option, but it may not be too much extra to put all new fresh ones in.

Bear in mind that in any scenario lifting the old boards may disturb the joists thus causing cosmetic damage to the ceiling below. We had a few nails pop the plaster which would have meant patching and redecorating, but since we were having the kitchen extended and the ceilings insulated and re-plasterboarded, it wasn't a problem.

Soldato
OP
Bear in mind that in any scenario lifting the old boards may disturb the joists thus causing cosmetic damage to the ceiling below. We had a few nails pop the plaster which would have meant patching and redecorating, but since we were having the kitchen extended and the ceilings insulated and re-plasterboarded, it wasn't a problem.

The reason I noticed the roof was cos I did this to my kitchen (the room the felt roof is under)

Capture.JPG

I noticed this damp on the wall.... here

Capture1.JPG

And thats when I investigated the roof and saw the condition and the rip.

The new kitchen designs are cool though once the roof is sorted.

Soldato
The reason I noticed the roof was cos I did this to my kitchen (the room the felt roof is under) ~

Ahh, a little bit of retouching on the ceiling is hardly going to be a problem then :D

EDIT: Might be worth looking into upgrading the insulation in there while they have the roof off. We went from 100mm of fibreglass type stuff to 100mm kingspan lined with 25mm insulated plasterboard, same as the new parts of our extension. It has made a world of difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ahh, a little bit of retouching on the ceiling is hardly going to be a problem then :D

EDIT: Might be worth looking into upgrading the insulation in there while they have the roof off. We went from 100mm of fibreglass type stuff to 100mm kingspan lined with 25mm insulated plasterboard, same as the new parts of our extension. It has made a world of difference.
I don't think that needs changing, it's the warmest room of the house, even in winter. (excluding cooking time)

Soldato
I don't think that needs changing, it's the warmest room of the house, even in winter. (excluding cooking time)

South (ish) facing?
The reason its the warmest may well be solar gain (heating by the sun, flat roof and all that). Insulating it as well as possible will make it the most stable temperature house in the home. Less gain in the hot weather, less loss in the cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom