Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
I’d prolly add the rear view camera to the above spec and maybe the adaptive dampers as you are going 19s.

Nevertheless still a good choice Golf :)

PS did you look at a i30N at all ?

I did look at options but the GTI just kept coming out on top based on looks and quality.

Not many hot hatches out there at the moment that have a better looking front end.

This is how the car will look (same colour and wheels);

Associate
My new Golf R 7.5 DSG got delivered yesterday, coming from a MK7 GTD it’s a massive step up.

The ‘R’ in eco mode feels a bit more than the GTD in sport mode, changing it to race and DSG to S is a whole new world!

I read plenty about the car saying it’s so easy to drive fast and there’s no doubt about that! Haven’t had any pops and bangs yet but maybe they come once it’s got more miles under the belt! Very happy chappy here!

Associate
I picked this up in march and absolutely love it. Sure there are other hot hatches that are faster and what not but nothing comes close to the updated cabin in the face lift golf.

Ive already started on mods with VWR springs and 12mm and 15mm spacers. various obd11 tweaks
Ula6HFFh.jpg

hksGxQFh.jpg

Caporegime
Anyone have a Lapis Blue Golf and find bird poo kills the paintwork within hours?

I've had three massive bird crap etchings in the last four months. The first was left for 3 days, the second overnight and the third today no more than 3 hours between the time I parked my car after lunch until I got home and wiped it off.

I used a hairdryer the first time which removed it completely but I haven't sorted the second or third marks yet. Bit fed up after never experiencing etching with my previous two cars in 10 years.

Soldato
Could it be the weather encrusting the poop to the paintwork or speeding up the process?

Have to say I've inadvertently left bird poop on my black gti for a few days and not had any etching.

I do always remove with AutoGlym Bird wipes though...

Caporegime
I don't think so. The first time was earlier in the year when it wasn't very hot but I did leave it for a few days after thinking it probably wouldn't cause any damage. My previous car was a black Polo GTI and I had crap all over that for months before I washed it and it never left a single mark.

Not sure if the paint's just very susceptible compared to other colours or if there's something I can coat my car with to protect it better.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Anyone have a Lapis Blue Golf and find bird poo kills the paintwork within hours?

I've had three massive bird crap etchings in the last four months. The first was left for 3 days, the second overnight and the third today no more than 3 hours between the time I parked my car after lunch until I got home and wiped it off.

I used a hairdryer the first time which removed it completely but I haven't sorted the second or third marks yet. Bit fed up after never experiencing etching with my previous two cars in 10 years.
I've just come back from 3 weeks' holiday to find a massive bird poo on my bumper (my dad borrowed the car while I was away). I'll remove it tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to the damage :eek: What's the best way of dealing with it @Pigeon_Killer ? (It's about the width of the number plate!)

In other news - can anyone confirm that the Mk7 Golf uses ABS sensors for the TPMS and not wireless sensors? Thx.

Man of Honour
Looks like I'm picking up a Mk7.5 Golf R Estate at the weekend. Lapiz Blue. Has some toys. Discover nav, Dynaudio and a few other things. Wish they did a manual estate, but no...
Going to be an interesting couple of years.

Associate
Looks like I'm picking up a Mk7.5 Golf R Estate at the weekend. Lapiz Blue. Has some toys. Discover nav, Dynaudio and a few other things. Wish they did a manual estate, but no...
Going to be an interesting couple of years.

Was quite surprised when my mate said that he has no sat nav in his R and it was an extra.

A couple of weeks in and you will understand why the DSG is better.

Soldato
Anyone changed the rear pads before? I've released the electronic handbrake on the calipers, was just curious as do the pistons then wind back as normal? or just push in? I'm reading conflicting opinions online.

MK7 GTi in question. Running EBC Red on the front and about to put reds on the rear too.

Associate
Anyone changed the rear pads before? I've released the electronic handbrake on the calipers, was just curious as do the pistons then wind back as normal? or just push in? I'm reading conflicting opinions online.

MK7 GTi in question. Running EBC Red on the front and about to put reds on the rear too.

You need VCDS or OBDEleven to electronically wind the pistons back on the rear, that was one of the reasons I got the OBDEleven.

Soldato
You need VCDS or OBDEleven to electronically wind the pistons back on the rear, that was one of the reasons I got the OBDEleven.
Yes I have OBDeleven and have retracted the rear pistons, but they still stick out a bit (from what initially looked far to much to get new pads in and over a disc) so need rewinding back from there surely?

Can anyone confirm please?

Last edited:
Associate
I hate to say it, but after another go in an R I cannot see what all the fuss is about, outside of it's pace and practicality.

Numb

It’s nothing special really but decent price and servicing wise. Fuel economy isn’t great but you don’t but it to worry about or save fuel.

It can be fun occasionally.

Man of Honour
I hate to say it, but after another go in an R I cannot see what all the fuss is about, outside of it's pace and practicality.

Numb

I freely admit that it's not the most fun thing in the world. But all the fun things I wanted the other half was almost afraid of, she wouldn't even drive the RX8. On the occasional times she did, I had to goad her into pushing the right pedal a bit harder to get the 3rd port open. She was changing up at 4k rpm.

However, the R estate she saw as both extremely sensible as well as being something that she'd be happy to drive. She'll just stick it in eco or normal, select drive and go. Me, it'll go into race (or a customised version of it in individual) and i'll drive it vigorously.

Back
Top Bottom