Tony Northrops ebook

Soldato
Has anybody here got this and would they recommend it as a decent material to get started or are there better books/tutorials out there for getting started ?

Soldato
OP
YouTube would be my suggestion. And its all free.

I've been using that and whilst it's good, you can't search for things that you don't know about, books generally steer you along

For instance if you'd never heard of ISO before and none the videos you watched mentioned it, how would you know to look for information on it ?

Soldato
I've been using that and whilst it's good, you can't search for things that you don't know about, books generally steer you along

For instance if you'd never heard of ISO before and none the videos you watched mentioned it, how would you know to look for information on it ?

Good point.

Photography forums are also very good for that too.

Soldato
I have not read the book but my way of learning the technical aspects of photography came from actually shooting with a camera and then trying to attain images similar to what I had already seen online. I then delved into my camera settings and wondered what iso, aperture and shutter speed actually do, this is where I used Google and YouTube.

The book @D.P. recommended looks very good, composition is what makes one picture stand out compared to another, not the camera model, camera make, sensor size, features etc... This is the link to the UK Amazon site for the revised edition. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...562507&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Photographer's+Eye - I think I'll pick this up on pay day.

Associate
I have the book. Couple of points: I think it's a decent read if youre a complete novice; it has links to videos to illustrate whatever point/lesson he is discussing.
shortly after buying the book, and after only reading the first chapter, I discovered a guy on youtube called mike browne. He is awesome. I watched all of the videos on his channel and have not felt the need to finish tony's e-book (though i skim read a few sections)

TLDR: watch mike browne videos on youtube. he is very good.

hth.

Soldato
I actually found a lot of information online. Basic and advanced. A lot actually just came with experimentation and practice. Which I'm sure most will echo. Just pick up a camera have an idea of what you want and click away. Review your images be critical and ask mates to do the same.

What area do you want to get into? I'm sure they'll be people on here who can advise.

Back
Top Bottom