SSD lifespan and OS transfer

Hey guys, following on from my earlier thread, I'm seriosuly considering buying an SSD

The situation is that my laptop is low on RAM and is using the HDD to cache data as a result, causing it to freeze up a lot. I'm considering buying a Samsung 860 to remedy this (as I cannot add more RAM). I had 2 quick questions:

1) I've heard that using SDDs to cache data really shortens the lifespan? The samsung comes with a 5 year warranty, but I am using my laptop solely for PhD work. I back-up regularly (at least weekly) but data loss, or backing up corrupted data without realising, would really be a big problem. Is this something I should be reasonably worried about?

2) How easy is it to transfer my Windows OS to another hard drive? I do not have a disk as my OS is OEM. I have googled this and see lots of apps and programmes that say they can clone or transfer your system, but I am distrusting of any third party software. I believe that my Lenovo laptop allows me to create a USB recovery drive, so presumably this would work?

TIA!

EDIT: as a side note, I was looking to see if I can, in fact, backup to a USB recovery drive using the tutorial on the Lenovo website. When I got to "recovery" in control pannel it listed "backup and restore" for Windows 7, even though I have Windows 10... Does anyone know why this might be? The laptop was sold with Windows 10 - is it possible that they origionally installed 7 and updated to 10? Is this acceptable practice with OEM licences? I would always expect a straight Windows 10 install, not an update? Cheers folks!

Associate
2. There are reliable clone drive software apps. Stop being so distrusting. Cloning the drive is the easiest method.

1. Can you really not upgrade the ram ? Is it soldered on or is it that you don’t have any more ram slots ? If the latter why not remove the existing and fit larger in its place.

Associate
OP
2. There are reliable clone drive software apps. Stop being so distrusting. Cloning the drive is the easiest method.

1. Can you really not upgrade the ram ? Is it soldered on or is it that you don’t have any more ram slots ? If the latter why not remove the existing and fit larger in its place.

Cannot upgrade the RAM as I only have 32 bit OS, and am already maxed out at 4GB

Soldato
Should not even need to enter the key
W10 should see that the mobo was previously running a legit 32 bit os and activate automatically
if you had home get 64 bit home
pro get 64 bit pro etc

Back
Top Bottom