Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Associate
So I did debone the chicken but had no string so I stuffed it with some thyme, rosemary, grated garlic and sage, rolled it up and bagged it up with some soy sauce. 65C and 9 hours because sleep. Just had the first leg, delicious. Cheers @Moses

Gonna make some pork belly next and then one day these carnitas everyone keeps raving about.

OcUK Staff
DWmMV5B
They have a big sale on the non-wifi version at the moment if anyone is looking to pick one of these up.

oh what the hell, I'd got a discount code from looking at their site yesterday. they won't let me use that on the sale price, surely?
BPJRlqr.jpg

well ok then, that's me sold

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's a damn good price. That's cheaper than some of the lidl/aldi cheapy units.

Anyway. Tried a longer cook on a cheapish beef joint from the butchers last weekend. About a kilo of silverside. Not hugely expensive as it was an experiment.
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and some fresh sage, rosemary and thyme and sealed.
9 hours @ 56°C and a quick blowtorching later - experiment success! Tasty, tender and jiucy. Plenty left over to go in a sandwich or two as well. :D

Soldato
DWmMV5B
They have a big sale on the non-wifi version at the moment if anyone is looking to pick one of these up.

oh what the hell, I'd got a discount code from looking at their site yesterday. they won't let me use that on the sale price, surely?
BPJRlqr.jpg

well ok then, that's me sold

can to share the discount code? :D:D

What's the difference between wifi and Bluetooth versions? why is one £50 cheaper?

OcUK Staff
I would but I don't think it was a generic code. Where they've done universal codes before like LOVEMUM and HOLIDAYLUV, this was a generated series of characters, like a voucher or Steam code. I don't want them to cancel my order for sharing a code. I'm really sorry, I hope you understand.

They both have Bluetooth for using their mobile app, but the WiFi also can be controlled over WiFi, so you can start it going from anywhere, eg. even when you are out at work. While I'm sure it's safe, I'm not convinced I like the idea of leaving something immersed in liquid connected to the mains unattended anyway. Or at least that's part of my justification to myself.

Soldato
Been starting to use mine a bit more recently, mainly the usual BBQ prep, so burgers, chicken, pulled pork, but tried something new last night went for Cocoa Rubbed Pork Loin. Worked really well, the steaks came out really dark, but the combo of the chipotle and the cocoa really worked well, served it up with some homemade smoked paprika salsa, corn on the cobs and some sweet potato wedges.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/r...105850833&mc_cid=eb2bff12f3&mc_eid=0a08caf032

Soldato
How do you guys use these? Obviously cooking a lot of things will take a couple of hours, which I've not got time for in the evenings. Do you generally get the wifi one and switch it on remotely before you come home?

Soldato
Depends what I'm making, longer stuff just leave on from either the day before or morning. Sometimes do shorter stuff in the evening (steak, tuna, chicken) never left and turned on remotely. You'd need to ensure the water is quite cold to keep the food fresh. Don't want it warming up to 25c in the summer prior to a cook and sitting there for hours until you start your cooking.

OcUK Staff
not sure how good/suitable this is, but at less than £6 currently delivered (if you have prime), I've ordered one for when the Anova arrives.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0098J54MS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had tracking details come through, and although I ordered on UK store site, it looks like the Anove is shipping from the Netherlands. Does that mean I'm likely to get hit by duties/taxes? What has been other peoples experiences?

OcUK Staff
So my bluetooth model arrived today, and tested it out a couple of times. Firstly with tuna, that I probably went overly safe with, and cooked too hot and for too long, but was still very tasty and moist and tender. Not dry at all. Then for tea, some serloin stek. Maybe not a cut that even needs cooking this way, and also not the most flavoursome cut. However, it was cooked amazingly tender and moist. We need to try a tastier steak over the next couple of days. So I'm very impressed so far. Looking forward to trying a range of different things to learn it better.

Soldato
Hey guys, I've got it into my head that I'll cooked a chicken breast wrapped in bacon tonight. With a creamy mushroom sauce, kale and mash :)

How would you recommend doing the bacon-wrapped chicken? Can I wrap the bacon, clingfilm then sous-vide in my usual ziplock bags? Then brown in a pan afterwards?

Edit: Or would I be better off making and stuffing a mushroom duxelle into a roulade? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
First time using tonight.

Sirlion steak. Looking around 56 degrees for 60 mins, then sear in a scalding hot pan. That sound about right for medium?

Man of Honour
First time using tonight.

Sirlion steak. Looking around 56 degrees for 60 mins, then sear in a scalding hot pan. That sound about right for medium?

I'd go for 54.5c. No need to go as high as 56c as it'll gain temperature when you sear it. I'd also give it an hour beforehand at 49c to "warm age" it - will make it more tender.

Back
Top Bottom