Kitchen Renovation

Soldato
OP
Yes, you know though all the plaster dust on the floor is doing my nut in - any tips on cleaning it all up?

I've swept and mopped 5 times already and doesn't look at different to when I started. I'm due to lay the new floor tiles tomorrow, but I really think they won't stick unless I get the dust up, this is after 2 sweeps and mops. (after 5 it has have no real change too)

Again ignore the bends its the pano photoing

panofloooooor.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got a wire brush today, it seems to be working, but it is going to take some time. I have cleaned the dust from the left side and rear corners where there are no tiles, and put down the self level compound. I need to wait for that dry before I start scraping off the dust now as it will just end up in the concerete levelling compound I have put down.

I haven't made a perfect job of the compound, but good enough for me to easily fit tiles once dry and the areas which needed are going to be under the cupboards - some people think I'm strange for planning to tile to whole room, but I see it as a type of future proofing and for the sake of £30 more tiles I'm doing it!

Soldato
Definitely some kind of scraper. Our plasterer went around after he'd finished with something like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/spear-jackson-floor-scraper/46108.
It got the majority of it up then I went around with a heavy duty hand scraper for the rest. Should be even easier on those old tiles than it was on bare concrete & floorboards.

Be wary of vacuuming up the dust, it kills them! Seriously, whenever I've had any major building work done I budget in for a new machine once the job has finished. Luckily this time the in-laws were throwing out an old Dyson so we used that for clean up. I was washing the pink dust out of the filters every couple of days when it clogged up. Mr Dyson claims his machines never lose suction, he's clearly not tested them on plaster dust :D

Soldato
OP
Tiling is coming on nicely

0e8fda34-a4d8-47ac-9957-7f48d38e5d65.jpg

Not as difficult as job as I thought, but quite time consuming for sure. The light is starting to drop now, so I won't be able to do much more now until tomorrow. (we have no light in the rooom yet)

Soldato
OP
What is the general opinion for PVAing the plastered walls ?

My plaster suggested doing it wiht 1:5 PVA to water.
However I think it acts as a barrier to stop paint adhering to the plastered walls properly.

Soldato
What is the general opinion for PVAing the plastered walls ?

My plaster suggested doing it wiht 1:5 PVA to water.
However I think it acts as a barrier to stop paint adhering to the plastered walls properly.

Never heard of PVAing plaster in view to painting it. Only if the plaster was bad and you were going to skim it again. What you need is watered down emulsion.

Your plaster also seemed to take a long time to do the job. We have had quite a few rooms done, each hardwalled AND plastered in two days by one bloke. Granted I did get the room completely ready so all he had to do was render and plaster (Not, by any means, to suggest that it's easy in any way! Rule No1 : Never get into a fight with a plasterer!). i.e. I sorted all the brick work (PVA and filling), boarding around the windows and plaster boarded any thing that needed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you're meant to for painting it. It's just a widely touted in accuracy.

What you want is a mist coat (half paint half water) or a watered down paint. I don't think the ratio makes much difference.

It needs to be 50/50 paint/water minimum else you'll end up with the top coat of paint cracking. The watered down paint acts as a sealent so the new plaster does not soak up the paints moisture. Put the waterdown coat on to thick and it will crack.

Soldato
Soldato
It needs to be 50/50 paint/water minimum else you'll end up with the top coat of paint cracking. The watered down paint acts as a sealent so the new plaster does not soak up the paints moisture. Put the waterdown coat on to thick and it will crack.
Depends entirely on the paint! I've used b and q value stuff for most costs in the past barely any water needed as it is so funny anyway!

I'd have done the most cost befor I did the floor!

Soldato
OP
I have now grouted the floor with light grey grout and silver glitter (don't ask... the wife wanted it)

After actually doing it, I honestly can say I'm glad I used glitter, it looks ace now.

Photo doesn't pick it up well, but here goes.

IMG-20180910-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20180910-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20180910-WA0017.jpeg

20180910_173634.jpg

20180910_173639.jpg

IMG-20180910-WA0020.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom