• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
5 days til benchmarks and then we can put speculation to bed. I hope my MSI Gaming trio isn't too far behind. Super excited in truth but more to try out RT. DLSS is also something I will be taking a close look at. Shiny shiny.

Amen to that it's driving me nuts. Finding myself getting more excited about new cards now and hyped about rtx/ dlss and what looks like growing game support.

For me its gonna be a new ti or skip - the cost is eye watering but only few hundred quid more than what I was expecting. So in the grand scheme of things it's not gonna break bank. Yolo yolo

Associate
Interesting, I saw something yesterday (can't find it now) where the TDP's for the founders edition cards were listed as 10W more than the AIB versions which I thought odd. Probabaly a pinch of salt required also at this stage.

No it wasn't, it was the difference between the reference cards and the founders edition. 2080ti showed 260W TDP foe FE and 250W for reference
Isn't it because the FE is now overclocked so no longer reference spec?

Associate
5 days til benchmarks and then we can put speculation to bed. I hope my MSI Gaming trio isn't too far behind. Super excited in truth but more to try out RT. DLSS is also something I will be taking a close look at. Shiny shiny.

That's 5 days too long in my book! Shame they pushed back the 2080 reviews from Monday to Wednesday :(

Soldato
Isn't it because the FE is now overclocked so no longer reference spec?

Founders edition is no longer aiming to be minimum spec yeah, so nvidia do the founders edition and then they also release the specs for AIB's to save some cost and hit the lower MSRP prices (or in Asus case save cost and still jack the price up).

Associate
Two fans too vs a single blower fan on the reference cards. NV have made a good move with the FE cards. They'll be as good as anything else now IMO - definatley way ahead on looks.

I doubt that. There is only so much two smaller fans with only 2-slot thickness can do versus the big air coolers like the EVGA FTW3. That has way more heat dissipation fin area and three larger fans. I expect something like the FTW3 cooler to keep at least 10C cooler temps than the FE.

Caporegime
Amen to that it's driving me nuts. Finding myself getting more excited about new cards now and hyped about rtx/ dlss and what looks like growing game support.

For me its gonna be a new ti or skip - the cost is eye watering but only few hundred quid more than what I was expecting. So in the grand scheme of things it's not gonna break bank. Yolo yolo

Cost is a massive ask for the majority and far more than I was expecting but regardless, the tech is what excites me and I do hope devs and NVidia really do push on this. And agreed, I actually buried a friend whom I have worked with for 15 years and known for over 30 on Monday and he was a geek (old school) but would penny pinch on buying this and that (but happy to spend a lot in the pub :D). Yolo indeed.

That's 5 days too long in my book! Shame they pushed back the 2080 reviews from Monday to Wednesday :(

Yer, I was hoping to see the performance also but a couple of days doesn't hurt much.

Soldato
I doubt that. There is only so much two smaller fans with only 2-slot thickness can do versus the big air coolers like the EVGA FTW3. That has way more heat dissipation fin area and three larger fans. I expect something like the FTW3 cooler to keep at least 10C cooler temps than the FE.

True, but nvidia are using vapour chambers as opposed to heatpipes - they work similarly but vapour chambers handle a lof more watts per cm2

Soldato
Doesn't matter if it's 10c cooler if it has no/little further overclocking headroom. Would you pay £100+ extra for that?

Caporegime
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 3DMark Timespy Performance Leaks Out – Faster Than Titan XP While Running at Stock Configuration
More details on the GeForce RTX 20 series graphics cards will be released later today but they will not include performance benchmarks. Those would come on a later date before market availability on 20th Septemeber. But with users starting to test their cards, there are bound to be some leaks and that has just happened.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-3dmark-performance-benchmark-leak/

Yer, I am bored :D

Associate
Soooo standard clock 2080 significantly outperforming overclocked 1080Ti.... well would you look at that? Maybe all the naysayers will finally eat some humble pie (although I doubt it they will come back with some other lame argument as to why Nvidia are ******** and the new cards are evil - they probably kill kittens or something)... looking forward to my 2x 2080 Ti given these results, my god they are going to be insanely fast :)

Soldato
looking forward to my 2x 2080 Ti given these results, my god they are going to be insanely fast :)

Call me crazy, but i'm now seriously considering ordering a second 2080 Ti also.

I've pre-ordered one as i'm coming back to PC gaming after a decade long hiatus and figured if i'm going to do it, then i'm going to do it properly, and have put together an absolute top of the range machine in every department. The only piece left to get is the video card, which made getting a 2080 Ti the obvious choice since i'm using a 4k monitor. But if NvLink turns out to be far better than SLI in terms of compatibility and performance, then perhaps getting a second card, to get closer to 4K with ray-tracing on, would be worth it.

Associate
Call me crazy, but i'm now seriously considering ordering a second 2080 Ti also.

I've pre-ordered one as i'm coming back to PC gaming after a decade long hiatus and figured if i'm going to do it, then i'm going to do it properly, and have put together an absolute top of the range machine in every department. The only piece left to get is the video card, which made getting a 2080 Ti the obvious choice since i'm using a 4k monitor. But if NvLink turns out to be far better than SLI in terms of compatibility and performance, then perhaps getting a second card, to get closer to 4K with ray-tracing on, would be worth it.
Oh don't get me wrong - they are not both going in the same rig (one in mine one in my wife's) but even then, looking at the 2080 time spy performance I am expecting a single 2080Ti to still be insanely quick. I will however seriously consider a second card in both machines once we have had a chance to see some further info on nvlink :)

Soldato

Behold, the £1500 card in the middle! Probably still using a recycled cooler that doesn't quite fit properly.

Taken 1080Ti Strix coolers off multiple times. Sounds like you're doing it wrong, or talking vicariously through others about older products.

The price is steep, though. Not sure what they're thinking there.

Caporegime
Soooo standard clock 2080 significantly outperforming overclocked 1080Ti.... well would you look at that? Maybe all the naysayers will finally eat some humble pie (although I doubt it they will come back with some other lame argument as to why Nvidia are ******** and the new cards are evil - they probably kill kittens or something)... looking forward to my 2x 2080 Ti given these results, my god they are going to be insanely fast :)
Naysayers are typical for here. Lots want it but price has put them off (fair enough), lots want it but can't afford it (fair enough) and some just won't have anything to do with RTX because NVidia! I don't care who does what, so long as we get tech moving forward and I would rather it be on my PC than me on a console. I have nothing against console gaming and have had my fair share over the years but something about sitting in front of a keyboard is my total gaming time. I am looking forward to winter personally, as I can get my Rift back into action and hopefully some RT goodness in a couple of games.

Soldato
Oh don't get me wrong - they are not both going in the same rig (one in mine one in my wife's) but even then, looking at the 2080 time spy performance I am expecting a single 2080Ti to still be insanely quick. I will however seriously consider a second card in both machines once we have had a chance to see some further info on nvlink :)

Fair enough, you're in a similar position to me then.

Having been out of the game for so long I have zero emotional loyalty to any manufacturers and simply wan't the best that money can buy, but as a software developer myself who has some experience in 3D graphics development and optimisation, I have a sneaking suspicion that we are all going be extremely surprised by how well raytracing performs once the game devs really get to grips with it.

I expect that as long as they decouple the RT resolution from the rasterisation resolution (running RT at 1080p), then a single card should be able to handle 4K with 1080p RT at 60FPS no problem.

Back
Top Bottom