• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Well I just got in touch with my retailer and they said that it has been delayed to the 27th and are at the mercy of NVidia but hope to get it shipped before that time. Not sure why you think it won't be delayed but I expected it and it is.

Release drivers amongst other things, I'd imagine. I ordered my MSI Duke on the opening night through OCUK, haven't had any updates.

Caporegime
I knew it was an MSI :D as you're a fan like me! I take it it's not from OC? Gibbo is normally very good at keeping everyone updated with incoming shipments.

Roll on the 27th!

Edit - just seen your post on the new "Prices of pre-order" thread.
Yes bud, a big fan since the 680 lightning days. I proper hurt those cards but they took it and kept on giving :D

Associate
So Wednesday at 2pm UK time is the big reveal.

I'll get my popcorn ready, unsalted. The 2080 pre-orderers will provide that ;)

(I can understand why people will pre-order the Ti, you simply gots to have the best, but not the 2080. Please do share justifications if you did!)

Soldato
Isn't FF XV a gameworks title? Which AMD performance is severely crippled compared to other better written gameworks titles like witcher 3?
I would take with truckload of salt that studio benchmarks

Isn't everyone here comparing nvidia to nvidia though? 1080, 1080ti to 2080, 2080ti. Can't imagine anyone cares how the Vega 64 compares to these.

Soldato
(I can understand why people will pre-order the Ti, you simply gots to have the best, but not the 2080. Please do share justifications if you did!)

i have not preordered yet,.... but my logic is as follows.

regarding 1080ti vs 2080

i am not stating the RTX 2080 is definitely worth it.... but there is a very good chance that once the dust settles it is going to be better going forward than the 1080ti...
its not a slam dunk, 3gb less ram and less cuda cores.
however its much faster ram, newer cuda design means each core is faster at like for like speed in mhz and also chances are the cores will clock faster too on average.... then add in the tensor cores and ray tracing cores...
then finally it has the VR Link on the back.

I WAS tempted with the £600 1080ti but personally i decided over all the 2080 would likely be worth the £115......
if i get a 1080ti it will likley be 2nd hand or a fire sale.

regarding 2080 vs 2080ti

personally my issue now is the argument going on in my head about whether or not an extra £335 is worth losing sleep over given the expected 4 year time span before i upgrade again......... ie do i go 2080ti. IF i could find a non blower 2080ti at the initial pre-order prices i would probably order today. This will without any doubt what so ever be the fastest actual gaming gpu on the planet.

but i just cant bring myself to pay more than they were 2 weeks ago (£1050) (and i dont want a blower one)

Associate
Isn't FF XV a gameworks title? Which AMD performance is severely crippled compared to other better written gameworks titles like witcher 3?
I would take with truckload of salt that studio benchmarks
Last I checked this was an Nvidia thread and the comparisons we are discussing are between previous and new gen Nvidia cards... so not sure what the relevance of your comment is. The benchmarks show a very clear increase in performance between previous and this gen Nvidia cards.

Soldato

You can cancel a pre-order if reviews are lacklustre. It's not like you're locked in, but it ensures your place in the queue should it turn out to be an amazing performer that sees orders sky rocket. That's how I'd view a pre-order anyway, as opposed to a blind buy without consideration.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So I just watched this (I am sure it has been posted here before, but I have not been keeping up with all the threads lately as I am mainly waiting for the benches to go live):

Does anyone know if this new Scanner API work on Pascal or is it only for Turing?

Looks a like a very neat tool. I am not into spending ages trying to find the best OC for cards like I used to be when I was younger and this tool seems to be very good if it is as good as Tom says (very nice guy btw). It basically helps people safely get more out of their chip if they were lucky with silicon lottery and have good case cooling.

Associate
Plan for the worst and anything sooner is a bonus. I am old and have been gutted when expecting orders before that didn't turn up, so I plan for the worst now, so it doesn't bother me so much.

I'm not worried as I read the press release from Nvidia that stated pre orders will be fulfilled the week leading to the 27th. Worse case I'd get it on the 27th... now if I had to wait the week after the 27th then I'd be a little annoyed.

Permabanned
NVIDIA GTX 1060 and GTX 1050 Successors in 2019; Turing Originally Intended for 10nm

https://www.techpowerup.com/247657/...s-in-2019-turing-originally-intended-for-10nm

Interesting, Turning was originally intended for Samsung 10nm but the process faced delays just like Intel 10nm so Nvidia had to redesigned Turing for TSMC 12nm FFN, the same process used for Volta.

If Nvidia had no delays with Turing on Samsung 10nm then Turing would had been launched in early 2018 with smaller dies and lower TDP power.

I would be surprise if TSMC 7nm process will face delays too.
That makes sense. Next series after the 20 should sell well as many felt this was a bodged product.

Associate
We have a bunch of benchmarks (both official and leaked) all pretty much lining up with each other - not to mention official statements from Nvidia and developers.

I'm expecting good figures form these cards, but if you were going to cook up fake sets of results that you wanted to be plausible you would have to base them on the existing leaks. Thus fake results will then to end up looking similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/247660/...overclocking-forbidden-on-the-cheaper-variant
Think this is certainly worth sharing.

TLDR: NVIDIA has two identifiable IDs for Turing, one classification is A which will likely be a higher ASIC, the other won't. It also denotes what cards are allowed to have a factory overclock or not. In short, look for factory clocks; if they're higher or the same as an FE card then your card is likely -A.

Associate
So I just watched this (I am sure it has been posted here before, but I have not been keeping up with all the threads lately as I am mainly waiting for the benches to go live):

Does anyone know if this new Scanner API work on Pascal or is it only for Turing?

Looks a like a very neat tool. I am not into spending ages trying to find the best OC for cards like I used to be when I was younger and this tool seems to be very good if it is as good as Tom says (very nice guy btw). It basically helps people safely get more out of their chip if they were lucky with silicon lottery and have good case cooling.
It does look interesting. I'm keen to see how it performs against manual overlooking.

To answer your question i've read it supports the 20xx series first and then others in the future.

Back
Top Bottom