• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It does look interesting. I'm keen to see how it performs against manual overlooking.

To answer your question i've read it supports the 20xx series first and then others in the future.
Makes sense it would be exclusive for the new cards for a while (from a business point of view at least).

I think manual might still be a little better, but not by much I suspect. I would much rather have it do it auto and have a very nice optimised curve, than sit there for hours and hours trying to find it myself. End of the day these days on nvidia cards voltages are locked so manually overclocking no longer will yields results worth spending time imo.

Soldato
Early results if true look fine to me, RTX2080 will be a nice jump over my GTX1080.
I'd expect so for £300 more! The really interesting comparison will be GTX 2070 v GTX 1080 Ti (for anyone that isn't interested in ray tracing until FPS rises) since they are about the same price.

Caporegime
I haven't touched PC gaming for awhile, but thinking about it - If the reviews are good then I can just buy it through my business, claim the VAT back and take it off my corporation tax bill.

Or I could just stick with the Xbox One X (which is very good)

Associate
I haven't touched PC gaming for awhile, but thinking about it - If the reviews are good then I can just buy it through my business, claim the VAT back and take it off my corporation tax bill.

You could, but to do so in the manner you suggest is tax evasion, unless you are keeping said card away from home or otherwise having 'trivial' personal use.

Such low level evasion is all to common of course, given the Self Assessment nature of our tax system and the more risk based and statistical approach taken for enforcement.

Soldato
is it really tax evasion tho?
True story when my dad 1st set up his building business my mum put my fishing gear xmas present on the books. Obviously the accountant flagged it with WTF? and my mum - apparently with straight face - told her that my dad had a job to empty a large pond of fish.
she was told to bugger off!...

however computer gear sounds like one which is impossible to stop. so long as a persons business needs a computer, is the tax man really going to decide what the max needed hardware is for a business? is an intel i7 considered overkill?

sure we all know that an i7 with rtx 2080Ti IS overkill but if any small business got slapped for this i personally would be livid... when you have so many huge businesses blatantly taking the pi.. to kick the small business in such a way would just not be on imo.

now if one was to put their hotas, racing wheel and pimax 8k on there then they may be on a bit of a sticky wicket imo.

Soldato
not to mention official statements from Nvidia and developers. Everything points to a significant increase in performance with 2080 out performing 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti out performing Titan V - just yesterday Final Fantasy XV added to benchmarks with their own official numbers which again match up to everything else said to date.

You keep mentioning significant increase in performance with regard to the 2080 vs 1080ti. It's less than 5% in any of the leaks so far? The Final Fantasy benchmarks put the 2080 at 4% faster than the 1080Ti. The 2080Ti is about 32% faster taken the best case scenario.

And, aren't the 2080 and 2080Ti FE editions overclocked? Whereas the 1080Ti FE isn't. It's something to consider before the reviews come out.

If those numbers match up with everything else to date, that puts the performance right where the Nvidia marketing guy said it would be. Which means the 2080 will basically be on par with the 1080ti apart from in newer titles using DLSS.

Soldato
reviews are due on the 19th correct, surely Nvidia must supply drivers at least two days in advance to give their reviewers ample time to write reviews. I cant believe there are no reliable leaks yet two days before NDA lifts.

really interested to see how 1080TI stacks up against the 2080

Caporegime
Correct me if i'm wrong but it would need to be coded as a Capital Allowance and written off over several years with a declining value, wouldn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_allowance

You can't simply reduce your corporation tax bill by coding something as expensive as a video card under expenses. Well, not without breaking the law at least.

It's for my home office PC. I need to do CAD design for packaging....:D

Plus it does tend to get written down as an assett, correct.

Not self employed either, we're a limited company.

So far this year I've bought 3 cheap PC's (£300 for the base unit and monitor) for staff, and have been using one of my old personal PC's and my old AOC monitor in the office - which I provided. So i'm technically down about £1000 anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
reviews are due on the 19th correct, surely Nvidia must supply drivers at least two days in advance to give their reviewers ample time to write reviews. I cant believe there are no reliable leaks yet two days before NDA lifts.

really interested to see how 1080TI stacks up against the 2080

TBF, Nvidia's own data from their reviewers guide has leaked, it's 5-20% to the 2080. Although the testing conditions are not known, thus suspicious (Comparing an OC'd FE vs the old style which was hamstrung).

Soldato
Going back to the announcement, do you think the scaling of the gigaray is based solely on giving JHH the opportunity to say the number 1.21 before the word gigarays for his **** 1.21 gigawatts pun that no-one laughed at?

Soldato
Plus it does tend to get written down as an assett, correct.

Gotcha, the way you worded it made it sound as though you were simply taking it straight off your profit to reduce your corp tax.

I'm a freelance software developer who runs a Limited company myself, and I've just spent nearly £4K on a new system through the business. If that was the case I was going to ask for your accountant's phone number. :p

Back
Top Bottom