15" Macbook Pro - Output 4K, hot and fans running loudly

Soldato
As title.

Got a new macbook pro and have it outputting to a display via dongle. The macbook after 30 minutes or so has its fans run at very high speeds and is quite loud. In addition the macbook is warm/hot to the touch.

I've only got internet tabs open - is this normal or is something wrong with it? Puzzling to me.

The macbook is on a desk too....

Any input appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Yup completely normal, Apple under engineered the cooling solution quite dramatically and they run v hot, 40-60 under desktop or light use and 90-99c doing work

Really? So anyone who has their macbook docked has to put up with the ridiculous noise and heat? Doesn't sound like Apple to me.... ugh. I know the i9 had throttling issues, but I haven't got that!

No output running it is perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? So anyone who has their macbook docked has to put up with the ridiculous noise and heat? Doesn't sound like Apple to me.... ugh. I know the i9 had throttling issues, but I haven't got that!

When you attach the 4k display this uses the dedicated graphics card which is on the same cooling system as the CPU so the fans spin up.

Soldato

Oh just thought - if you have it docked and the screen is closed - it will run even hotter as the air escapes up in front of the screen/around the screen hinge - closing it closes a fair bit of air flow off - if your using an external monitor make sure the laptop screen is open for better air flow.

Soldato
It's not directly to do with the resolution. Connecting an external display automatically switches to the dedicated GPU if fitted, which will increase the power consumption by 10-15W even at idle...

Back
Top Bottom