Advice Request - X99 Ring

Soldato
I'm just looking for a little pointer, I'm not trying to push every ounce out of my chip, I just want to make sure I'm getting good performance.

Spec:

• ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX
  • 5960x
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance

I've got the CPU at 4.3GHz/1.35v and I'm happy with that. Memory is at 2666MHz.

I'm looking to push the ring bus, but not sure where to set it in terms of frequency, and which voltages to tweak to support it.

I can provide screen caps of BIOS settings if required.

TIA

K6SNgEm.png

q8lnZPs.png

Soldato
Looking at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9daNlwhAJOc

Its the CPU cache ratio on that ASROCK X99 boards you want to tweak. As to what number you can achieve, I expect limit will be around 4 GHz, AFAIK boards without the OC socket with additional pins had a hard time getting over that, also your CPU does not seem that great if it only does 4.3 GHz and takes 1.35v to do so. In terms of voltage, I would say 1.2v as a limit. Would not juice that voltage much higher then that, recall seeing degradation on my 5960x's cache when I followed ASUS's guide and put in 1.3+ v :/ after asking around after that, 1.2v seemed about the a nice voltage for day to day clocks limit and left mine at that until I sold the chip recently.

Soldato
I got 4.7ghz out of my 5960x and still using it today, was a pre binned chip though. You can likely push more out of that.

You have 4.7 GHz from the cache / uncore (not core frequency)? If so that is the highest I have seen in a while, what sort of voltage are you using for that?

Associate
You have 4.7 GHz from the cache / uncore (not core frequency)? If so that is the highest I have seen in a while, what sort of voltage are you using for that?

I bought an 8Pack binned cpu when they where available, the volts are quite high but temps perfectly fine mate. 4.7 on the core / uncore. Temps are fine gaming at max 70 so it's all good.

Soldato
I bought an 8Pack binned cpu when they where available, the volts are quite high but temps perfectly fine mate. 4.7 on the core / uncore. Temps are fine gaming at max 70 so it's all good.

Dammm, well if you got 4.7 Ghz on the cache / uncore (not core) then that is very impressive if its also fully stable. Not many chips can hit those sorts of numbers on the cache stable. Now people can hit those sorts of speeds on the core with decent CPU and cooling. My 5960x could do 4.8 GHz for benchmarking, but cache / uncore could not hit those numbers, 4.5 GHz was the limit and that was with a lot of voltage. Normally 300-400 Mhz behind that which is the norm usually without loads of voltage.

Associate
Equal uncore to clock frequency will do magic . 43 x mulitplier should be doable on cache to match clocks . had my 5820 like for like. Do agree 1.35v tad high but those chips were poor clockers conparibly to the lower core count deriviants anyway

Associate
Dammm, well if you got 4.7 Ghz on the cache / uncore (not core) then that is very impressive if its also fully stable. Not many chips can hit those sorts of numbers on the cache stable. Now people can hit those sorts of speeds on the core with decent CPU and cooling. My 5960x could do 4.8 GHz for benchmarking, but cache / uncore could not hit those numbers, 4.5 GHz was the limit and that was with a lot of voltage. Normally 300-400 Mhz behind that which is the norm usually without loads of voltage.

Yeah it is a fantastic cpu mate, 8pack is a legend. Has been stable for years at that speed.

Back
Top Bottom