New bike advice please

Soldato
Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice on getting a new bike for myself.

Bit about me: I'm 30, passed my test in 2010 and had a daily commuter (all weather, all times of day and night) Kawasaki ER-5. I got rid about 3 years ago and have only ridden fleetingly since, including a couple of refresher lessons here and there so that I don't lose the skill. I've ridden a variety of bikes, including track days on a ZX-6R, couple of Harley sportsters and a couple of bigger bikes briefly, but only owned the Kwak. I'm 5'8" and built relatively stocky but strong. I was confident 2 up but will likely need to practice a bit.

Why I want a bike: Bit of fun, return to the joys of riding and if I change jobs perhaps commuting. I will be using the car the majority of the time and want to limit at least my first year mileage to lowish miles, but after picking up a bit of NCB I want to expand that and perhaps do some touring eventually.

What I'm looking for in a bike: Something bigger than what I had, but not too big that I can't use it. Something that I can probably buy on finance so I won't be bored with in 3 - 4 years assuming that I haven't destroyed it (probably used but might look at new if price is OK). I've always been a steady rider and ride defensively so super-sports aren't really my cup of tea, though I love the look. Probably not looking for a proper cruiser either, something mid-range, but something fun too, don't want a boring bike.

Bikes I've looked at and currently considering: Test rode Harley Roadster which I liked but probably won't have the long term appeal, Yamaha Diversion F which again was good but I wasn't too keen on the gearbox. Considering Ninja 650, Vstrom 650 or older 1000.

Apart from supersports and very expensive new bikes insurance is similar on most types, ie 2012 Yamaha Diversion is same as a 2010 R1200GS for example, so it's not a particularly big issue.

Any ideas on what might be decent to look at?

TL,DR - Help me choose a bike, preferably with an engine.

Soldato
OP
Yamaha XSR900 if you like the styling.

A lot of people think it's ugly, fair enough, otherwise it's a great bike that'll suit your needs as above.

I'm not opposed to the styling and there's one at the place I'm popping into tomorrow so I'll have a look. Cheers for the suggestion.

Soldato
This may have been what I was thinking when I looked at some bikes.. may also have dropped a deposit on a used MT-09 just have to not get too throttle happy when I pick it up!

Nice one. Personally, I think it looks like Optimus Prime. Do I think however it is probably one of the better bikes out there on the market right now? Definately!

Associate
I've only recently got my full licence so the thought of an MT-09 scares the **** out of me, but I can vouch for the MT-07 being an awesome machine. Massive amounts of torque and short gearing = brilliant fun.

Soldato
OP
So I got my MT-09 on Saturday and been loving it so far! Only done about 50 miles so far but it's got so much power. Very easy to ride, although snatchy throttle in STD and A mode so been mainly in B mode, I'll move up soon! Great to own a bike again! And imo it looks so good! No problems thus far, apart from a perhaps overly cautious rider haha!

Soldato
The crap throttle can be mapped out ... check out Junction 33 dyno . He is becoming abit of an expert on mt07/09/10 . Very nice guy and really puts a lot of effort into every tune

Soldato
OP
The crap throttle can be mapped out ... check out Junction 33 dyno . He is becoming abit of an expert on mt07/09/10 . Very nice guy and really puts a lot of effort into every tune

Either of you have any idea of cost? It's had all the Yamaha official flashes etc but does still seem very snatchy for what I'm used to. Pain too as it reverts to STD after turning off, funny looking so noobish riding off from a fuel station!

Soldato
I have a MT10 sp

3d5025e7c4491cd99cbade76e3784303.jpg

Associate
I have just got hold of a BMW R nine T. It would be perfect for you. No chain, big torque, great brakes and very cool.

I had a speed triple RS prior and that was good but had issues. Note to self don't buy a new model bike until all the niggles have been sorted.

Residuals are strong with the BMW as well.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom