Increase Depth of Case Fans

Associate
Im trying to increase the depth of my Corsair LL120 RGB case fans to a depth of double the existing depth, easy option would be to connect two fans back to back and fix to case. Ideally i need a spacer... does anyone have any ideas on how i can get this done.

Thanks

Soldato
Im trying to increase the depth of my Corsair LL120 RGB case fans to a depth of double the existing depth, easy option would be to connect two fans back to back and fix to case. Ideally i need a spacer... does anyone have any ideas on how i can get this done.

Thanks

They are sometimes known as shrouds or decouplers. Phobya makes some.

On the other hand you can do what I did and buy the cheapest possible fans of the right size, irrelevant if they are working and cut out the fan and its arms from the outer frame with some pliers or saw and smooth off the rough bits. Thus leaving you with a squareish piece with a fan sized circular hole and mounting holes in the corners.

Computer I'm at has 4 120mm fans and 5 such shrouds spacing out the 120mm fans from grilles and radiator. Looks like I have ridiculous fan stacks but it's not really.

Soldato
I used regular chubby fan screws to attach fan to fan and fan to case. The fan corners can't be solid because the screws obviously aren't that long so you need to screw a fan to a fan from the inside of one corner to the outside of the next fan using a skinny screwdriver.

For fan to radiator was more fiddly because iirc you usually use a long screw that goes from one side of the fan to the other but if you just stuck another fan on your screws are probly not long enough. Found some short screws with the right thread in my computer bits box to attach one layer of the fan frame to the radiator and bulked it out with washers due to it being a little long.

tmp.png

Last edited:
Soldato
What screws did you use to connect the fans together and to the case?
If you have general hardware store nearby, you can get standard M3 or M4 bolts/machine screws and nuts.
Can't remember now if M4 fits through screw holes, or if M3 is needed, but that would be easy to check if you have some loose fan to take with you.

You could use longer bolts even for that spacing using nuts for positioning, if using something as airflwo guide.
Or in case of using fan frame fan as spacer you can just use long bolts (with single nut in end) for attaching whole stack to case.

Back
Top Bottom