Backbox options

Soldato
So i'm looking to change the fittings in my house to a satin chrome. The only one thats going to be difficult is this one. Whats the options as i think a backbox will fit (however might look gash). I'm reluctant to just have the faceplate straight on the wood, or is it best just to leave as is?
y4mfdQjJEUuiMMMUJIqmeQhGu-4e1Hx0M1y7L1X1T7275d3-IK-zCdsZ4Izl5UuXmhQ1H-z_D9VLJ-1iW7a65Y3zKlfbcDPNZ74lECEq2SrliRPAlhsSTFNItP1SiMGgzdOaWP7kDP-Ho4b6kl8Ev-8nlIJtASX8aXFONrofYy0bYVatUqHi0yMBRUauG9wvn6sEAKGsidi6DaCY5gbRjYqOQ

Soldato
OP
What's behind the wood?

Something like this would work if you can cut a hole/and secure the backbox?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brushed-Satin-Chrome-Architrave-Light-Switch-Backbox-/132467829833

I think you will struggle to find a "satin chrome surface mount architrave backbox" :)
Yea i think the 2 colours you get backboxes in are galvanised steel and white plastic:D. Behind the wood is a blank with a wire coming out the bottom of it (i assume the switch used to be here before the fitted wardrobes were fitted. Thinking about it, i could maybe get a plasterboard backbox and treat the wood as a hollow wall possibly:confused:?

Soldato
Thinking about it, i could maybe get a plasterboard backbox and treat the wood as a hollow wall possibly:confused:?

I've done something similar in my "man cupboard" in the kitchen - fitted some dry lining boxes into its 8mm back for 2 gang socket outlets with USB.

I know it's not their intended use but the sparky had no problem with it. He even left me enough length on the cable to remove the cupboard without disturbing the electrics if I needed to.

Clearly you would need a full sized 1G switch, but if it fits then it's worth considering, plus it should be much easier than finding an architrave switch to match your others.

Soldato
OP
I've done something similar in my "man cupboard" in the kitchen - fitted some dry lining boxes into its 8mm back for 2 gang socket outlets with USB.

I know it's not their intended use but the sparky had no problem with it. He even left me enough length on the cable to remove the cupboard without disturbing the electrics if I needed to.

Clearly you would need a full sized 1G switch, but if it fits then it's worth considering, plus it should be much easier than finding an architrave switch to match your others.
Yea tbh it just came to me in a eureka moment while posting on here.

Soldato
OP
Have you confirmed that the switch has an earth connection. If there isn't one present then you can't safely install a metal switch
I've not tbh. It is twin and earth going too it, but it depends on how short they've cut the earth, although i think they tapped off a blank where the old switch was (which may not have an earth, not sure).

Back
Top Bottom