Best build for around £800?

Associate
Built my current PC a good 7 years ago now, GTX 580 1.5GB, I7 960, 6GB RAM, TX650 PSU. It has done me really well for the years but it's struggling to play the latest games smoothly now, even games like fortnite.

I've been out of the PC parts market for a while and have no idea what's good and what isn't etc so it would be really nice for someone who keeps up to date to spec me up a full build for roughly the price above.

I'd like everything replacing really, because all of my stuff is too old, even the case. I still use an ANTEC 900 from like 2007 which is pretty bad for cable management compared to some of the cases I see today.

Would also like it to have a 1TB SSD with 1 extra storage HDD if possible as well as a GPU with a decent amount of VRAM (6gb +) with an aftermarket cooler. If a build for that price wouldn't offer a HUGE upgrade to what I currently have please let me know, as I'd like it to last as long as this one did.

Thanks guys

Associate
OP

Nope I haven't, what's up with this Ryzen CPU? See lots of people praising it. What would the RX 580 be equivilant to from NVIDIA? 1060?

Soldato
Nope I haven't, what's up with this Ryzen CPU? See lots of people praising it. What would the RX 580 be equivilant to from NVIDIA? 1060?

might be a sign of the times or just developers not investing the time on older chips.

Much improved over heir FX chips and not to far behind intel, specially at 1440p/4k and wih workloads- due to extra cores can beat their intel counterparts.
they were cheaper then intel to start off with and now are bargains due to intel prices rising like intel i5 8600k £310+ when it was a £220 odd chip

rx 580/70 is amd version of 1060- linked wih a cheaper freesync monitor is a budget friendly combo- nvidia sync screens are about £200+ ontop of freesync ones .

Soldato
like orbitals apart from i dropped the 1tb ssd as the bundle comes with a 240gb, so it could get you started and also ive included an updated power supply in case that TX one you got having seen better days

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £769.22 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

going 1st gen ryzen, but including a gtx 1060 even if its the 3gb version(still much better than the old 580) and everything else required with a nice case, this is based on keeping your TX650 a bit longer.

Total: £768.63 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
because its free, so OP could use it or sell it on towards the 1tb ;)

It's not free, it adds £30 to the cost of the components is bought on their own.

Total: £379.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

It's only like the 10th time I've pointed out that the "FREE SSD" isn't actually free at all since OCUK cannot be bothered to fix their website and update the prices.

EDIT: Oh btw, the drive is only £32.99 to buy ;)

Soldato
It's not free, it adds £30 to the cost of the components is bought on their own.

Total: £379.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

It's only like the 10th time I've pointed out that the "FREE SSD" isn't actually free at all since OCUK cannot be bothered to fix their website and update the prices.

EDIT: Oh btw, the drive is only £32.99 to buy ;)

lol ive not see your 1st time mentioning so its all still news to me, however is the ssd really not free? i have noticed that in those configurations the price to up to a better type is more expensive that standalone. take that ram, the difference currently between the 8 & 16 is £60ish, on the config it was a £79 upgrade otherwise its like £315 with 8gb.

Soldato
lol ive not see your 1st time mentioning so its all still news to me, however is the ssd really not free? i have noticed that in those configurations the price to up to a better type is more expensive that standalone. take that ram, the difference currently between the 8 & 16 is £60ish, on the config it was a £79 upgrade otherwise its like £315 with 8gb.

None of the bundles offer the SSD for FREE, you are paying anywhere from £10 to £40 towards your free drive, and as you pointed out even the RAM ends up costing you more. This is the problem with marketing, people see the headline price, and the words FREE "instert item here" and believe it, it's almost as bad as those Tesco 3 for £5 offers where you could by 3 of the same individually for £4.50.

End of the day, the FREE SSD isn't free, and forces you to take an average (at best) motherboard that is over priced since the same board is up to £30 cheaper elsewhere, so you are getting ripped off on both accounts.

Soldato
None of the bundles offer the SSD for FREE, you are paying anywhere from £10 to £40 towards your free drive, and as you pointed out even the RAM ends up costing you more. This is the problem with marketing, people see the headline price, and the words FREE "instert item here" and believe it, it's almost as bad as those Tesco 3 for £5 offers where you could by 3 of the same individually for £4.50.

End of the day, the FREE SSD isn't free, and forces you to take an average (at best) motherboard that is over priced since the same board is up to £30 cheaper elsewhere, so you are getting ripped off on both accounts.

fair point when you put it like that ha, i didnt just pick the bundle for the ssd, the bundle is cheaper, okay thats with 8gb, but it can make sense, i used to fall for the marketing crap before, but i do see through it, i know my gaming pro likely doesnt offer much over a non gaming titled board, id only have purchased a new one because i like msi and red/black combo, but then the gimmicks are how people make their money it seems.

well either way then it was a suggestion which can be useful for certain budgets, but obviously not the best for the current requirement to this OP :D

Associate
OP
fair point when you put it like that ha, i didnt just pick the bundle for the ssd, the bundle is cheaper, okay thats with 8gb, but it can make sense, i used to fall for the marketing crap before, but i do see through it, i know my gaming pro likely doesnt offer much over a non gaming titled board, id only have purchased a new one because i like msi and red/black combo, but then the gimmicks are how people make their money it seems.

well either way then it was a suggestion which can be useful for certain budgets, but obviously not the best for the current requirement to this OP :D

Tbh I definitely think I want a 1TB SSD, and the 3GB 1060 is probably too little VRAM as I want it to last, I think games will be pushing that 3GB in a few years and I'll be forced to upgrade. Isn't the RX580 cheaper, and slightly better performance anyway? :p Also, yeah I think I'm gonna get a new PSU too, the TX650 is very old and doesn't push out the power it says anymore due to the aged capacitors it will have etc, plus it isn't modular and would like a nice clean build this time around :D

Soldato
Tbh I definitely think I want a 1TB SSD, and the 3GB 1060 is probably too little VRAM as I want it to last, I think games will be pushing that 3GB in a few years and I'll be forced to upgrade. Isn't the RX580 cheaper, and slightly better performance anyway? :p

You can grab an RX580 8GB for about £200 with a shed load of free games, and it opens up the option of Freesync, with the use of a Freesync monitor of course. Paired up with a Ryzen 2600/X etc. it will give you a great system for quite a few years to come I'd say.

Associate
OP
You can grab an RX580 8GB for about £200 with a shed load of free games, and it opens up the option of Freesync, with the use of a Freesync monitor of course. Paired up with a Ryzen 2600/X etc. it will give you a great system for quite a few years to come I'd say.

Yeah, I'm not bothered about freesync though, quite happy with my 120hz benq

Soldato
TX650, 7-8 years old though and not modular lol. Probably an extra 100 or so.

DE
Total: £887.39 (includes shipping: £12.60)

overshoots, lose 1tb hdd and SSD but 480GB instead. Plastic window instead of glass and now aftermarket cooler, but jumps form rx580 to vega 56, also from modular to non-mod psu

Total: £920.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom