Closed Back Headphones

Soldato
Hiya guys,

I have a pair of HD598SE's at the moment connected to my Soundblaster Z sound card with a modmic and am very happy with this setup. Problem is i moved in with the girlfriend earlier this year and now it's winter she likes to watch loads of TV to be in the same room as me while i play.

Now i don't have an issue with this but i can hear the TV above everything i'm playing and trying to play Pub G or CoD Blackout or anything where i need to listen to footsteps i can not concentrate at all.

Is there any good closed back ones that will sound similar to my 598's? I just need something i can use when she's in the room and when i'm alone i'll switch back to my open cans.

I don't want to be buying amps or any new hardware just a pair of closed cans that sound good and still allow me to hear enemies and know where they are from footsteps and shots etc.

Soldato
Beyerdynamic DT770 pros, 80ohm version - they have more bass than you're used to but they also have lively highs, so footsteps should be pretty clear, oh and they can be driven by a potato - don't get the 250ohm version by mistake

Soldato
Yeah, but they should be fine with the SB Z, I would have thought. 80 Ohm will go louder, but I'd be surprised if the 250 Ohm variant isn't seriously loud.

Just so you know. 250 Ohm have a coiled cable, 80 Ohm cable is straight; both 3m.

Soldato
Ooops, I didn't see the soundblaster Z mentioned in the OP - the 250 ohm version will be fine with the SBZ - I used to run the SBZ and DT990 (250 ohm) combo and they sounded great

Soldato
OP
So would it be better getting the DT770 Pro or the DT990 Pro? Is there much of a difference between the two? Will they both be similar or one better than the other for gaming?

Also my card should be able to run both the high ohm versions like you mentioned? So i shouldn't be looking at the 80ohm versions but the 240/250?

Last edited:
Soldato
the DT990 pro are the open backed version of the DT770 pro

The 250 ohm versions come with a coiled (curly) cable and the bass is less in quantity but tighter

Soldato
OP
the DT990 pro are the open backed version of the DT770 pro

The 250 ohm versions come with a coiled (curly) cable and the bass is less in quantity but tighter

Right thanks for that, makes a big difference.

Would the 80 or 250 be better for gaming? I take it with the less bass but it being tighter they should be better?

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't normally consider a pair of closed cans but i'm very sensitive to noise when gaming and it's so easy to distract me. It's the only reason i'm considering a pair, otherwise super happy with my current setup.

Why not the 598 CS? They're the closed back version of the headphones you have :)

I've heard the closed backs lack compared to the opens with Sennheiser.

Having owned both, I agree. I much preferred the K550's for both music and gaming.

I'll check them out too.

Soldato
I'll check them out too.

One thing to bear in mind if you are considering the K550's, is that they are not a good choice if you wear glasses. They need a good seal to sound good and wearing glasses breaks that seal; otherwise, a good alternative to the Beyer's.

Soldato
OP
I just got the HD 6xx, and they don't sound any more open than my MMX 300. Maybe if I train my "ears", but when I owned the 598 CS, they were excellent. Sounded as open as any decent closed backed headphones.

Will have to read up on them all and possibly try and try them out.

One thing to bear in mind if you are considering the K550's, is that they are not a good choice if you wear glasses. They need a good seal to sound good and wearing glasses breaks that seal; otherwise, a good alternative to the Beyer's.

Don't wear glasses so i'm good.

So going to have to read up and possibly check out the DT770's. 598CS and the K550's then.

Soldato
Weren't the 598CS much cheaper at some point? unless I'm thinking of the 598SE.

£200 is too much for a closed 598. DT770 are half that.

Soldato
Another to add to the list is the Sony MDR-1A, ridiculously comfortable, strong bass, detailed highs and currently £117 on Amazon - they do only have a short 4ft ish cable though, so if you need to plug in down behind your computer you'd need a short extension (I use a 6ft extension permanently plugged in).

Soldato
OP
Would definitely give them a shot, though at £200 on Amazon, they're a little pricey at the moment

Yeah that price is not very good.

Weren't the 598CS much cheaper at some point? unless I'm thinking of the 598SE.

£200 is too much for a closed 598. DT770 are half that.

I got my 598SE's for around £130.

Another to add to the list is the Sony MDR-1A, ridiculously comfortable, strong bass, detailed highs and currently £117 on Amazon - they do only have a short 4ft ish cable though, so if you need to plug in down behind your computer you'd need a short extension (I use a 6ft extension permanently plugged in).

Will have a look at that too.

Just need to find something that sounds good while being able to listen for footsteps.

Man of Honour

Sony do some of the best closed back IMO - I'm using some MDRs for gaming at the moment - not perfect (for gaming) as the bass is a touch prominent but comfortable and great sound quality.

Sadly not available at those prices right now but I picked up the 1a and 10rc at £39.95! each (flash deal) excellent value at that price.

Back
Top Bottom