MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Buying these in black and getting my Brake calipers painted in black

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collectio...x5-mk3-front-rear-discs?variant=6820785160237

The body shop said if the calipers have little rust they'll do them for £100 :)
How have you been finding these?

My fronts need replacing and was just going to buy pagid discs and pads for about £100 but these look interesting...

Which pads did you go for?

I know that for road driving good discs and pads won't make much difference but I'm quite hard on them even on the road so want somethign that's going to perform well.

Caporegime

My fronts need replacing and was just going to buy pagid discs and pads for about £100 but these look interesting...

I know that for road driving good discs and pads won't make much difference but I'm quite hard on them even on the road so want somethign that's going to perform well.

Ive been using my Motorbike mostly and didn't get around to fitting them just yet :o

Man of Honour
Any onboard videos with Choo Choo nosies? :D
Inside and outside in these two

Been using MTEC disks from. FreakyParts with EBC yellows for a while. Nothing bad to say about them, the pads do struggle with heat a Curborough for me though

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Looking at MK1's as a little run around, the prices seem to be all over the place. How much would I be looking to spend on a MK1 under 100k miles with no rust?

Soldato

I'd say ignore the mileage and buy on condition.

a decent condition unmodified one is around 2-2.5.

on mk1 check the sills, arches, bottoms of the front wings and frame rails if you can see them.

my mate bought his ropey looking one for 900 and had 0 issues mechanically. I paid 2k for mine and had a few bits that needed doing after trashing it through the winter but other than that it hasn't been that bad to nrun.

Best is probably to digg through mx5nutz for sale, mx5 for sale and facebook market place! decent condition/price ones pop up often.

Caporegime
Or play the system like I am, buy an engine for £80 and buy a solid MX5 with a dead engine for £500 :p

In seriousness though, 2.5K should get you a very tidy car.

On a MK2/2.5 in addition to the above, check the front chassis legs as best you can, ask about them and any prior repair etc. They WILL go rotten on every MK2/2.5. When I bought mine, from what I could see/feel on a thorough inspection (even going as far as taking the front wheels off and poking my head under) they looked fine. Only when it was on a ramp and I had all the undertrays off did I see my £700 repair bill staring me in the face lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or play the system like I am, buy an engine for £80 and buy a solid MX5 with a dead engine for £500 :p

In seriousness though, 2.5K should get you a very tidy car.

On a MK2/2.5 in addition to the above, check the front chassis legs as best you can, ask about them and any prior repair etc. They WILL go rotten on every MK2/2.5. When I bought mine, from what I could see/feel on a thorough inspection (even going as far as taking the front wheels off and poking my head under) they looked fine. Only when it was on a ramp and I had all the undertrays off did I see my £700 repair bill staring me in the face lol.
should've swapped the engine on your black one you silly man! like everyone told you.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good advice above ref rust.
As mentioned, assume that they ALL rust, and that's not about trying to find a rust free one (as chances are the owner will either be clueless (most probable), or just concealing the truth).
Try to find a well cared for example, i.e. one run by someone who loves their car, is hopefully going to have already had the sills/chassis rails replaced and will have given it regular servicing and the easiest to spot item, a set of decent tyres. Owners running out on ditchfinders do very much seem to be the ones most likely to have skimped on other servicing items and be trying to gloss over a potential money pit.

Do bear in mind that if you exclude rust prevention/resolution and it's fuel consumption (not bad, but no great shakes), the MX5 is about as cheap to run as cars get from a servicing/maintenance perspective, so there's no real reason to hold off on regular servicing.

Back
Top Bottom