Indentations on wallpaper

Soldato
I’m in the process of hanging wallpaper on a single wall in my daughters room. It’s not been an enjoyable experience so far but I’m looking for some advice.

I’ve got to the 2nd roll and noticed there are lots of indentations on the paper. The paper has a raised pattern and it looks like it’s made those indentations when the paper has been rolled.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/d4UYsQv

Do I continue or is this roll faulty? First time I have ever attempted this and really wished I hadn’t.

Soldato
I'd say that damaged. Probably got crushed and caused those indentations. They might come out when it dries to the wall and gets pulled straight, but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up with it looking naff (especially when the light is at the wrong angle). I'd return it for a replacement.

A more general comment on papering is that depending what kind of paper you choose (pattern and material), it can be a fairly easy and straightforward job, to being a real pain in the ass. I find vinyl covered with a non-matching pattern is the easiest. Not only does it take a lot of abuse as you handle it, you can do a bit of stretching, and you don't have to care about matching up a specific pattern. Prepping the walls and getting them nice and flat (lining paper if necessary) makes life a lot easier, and remembering that covering the paper in paste will make it swell a little on the joints, will make your papering a lot easier.

I refuse to use delicate paper with a pattern that you have to line up. In the end, you get better with practise, and learn what works easiest for you.

Soldato
Don't hang it just after you have pasted it - you need to leave it for 5 or ten minutes to soak in - I hated wallpapering till I let it soak in.

Soldato
I'd say that damaged. Probably got crushed and caused those indentations. They might come out when it dries to the wall and gets pulled straight, but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up with it looking naff (especially when the light is at the wrong angle). I'd return it for a replacement.

A more general comment on papering is that depending what kind of paper you choose (pattern and material), it can be a fairly easy and straightforward job, to being a real pain in the ass. I find vinyl covered with a non-matching pattern is the easiest. Not only does it take a lot of abuse as you handle it, you can do a bit of stretching, and you don't have to care about matching up a specific pattern. Prepping the walls and getting them nice and flat (lining paper if necessary) makes life a lot easier, and remembering that covering the paper in paste will make it swell a little on the joints, will make your papering a lot easier.

I refuse to use delicate paper with a pattern that you have to line up. In the end, you get better with practise, and learn what works easiest for you.
Good advice!

Soldato
OP

Thanks for the advice, I returned the paper and bought another 2 rolls. One was useable and the 2nd was even worse than the one I returned. That makes 3 returned as another was really dirty and had marks all over it. Not very impressed.

The pattern was quite intricate so that didn't help. We completed it today and it doesn't look bad. Not perfect and I'd be disappointed if I paid a professional to do the job but not a bad first attempt. I'm not sure my daughter will notice and she loves her new room already!

Here is how it looks: https://imgur.com/TAviQQa

It`s not lumpy wallpaper paste or bumpy walls is it?

No this was straight from unrolling the paper!

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, I returned the paper and bought another 2 rolls. One was useable and the 2nd was even worse than the one I returned. That makes 3 returned as another was really dirty and had marks all over it. Not very impressed.

The pattern was quite intricate so that didn't help. We completed it today and it doesn't look bad. Not perfect and I'd be disappointed if I paid a professional to do the job but not a bad first attempt. I'm not sure my daughter will notice and she loves her new room already!

Here is how it looks: https://imgur.com/TAviQQa

That looks all right, your daughter is just going to notice the colours and the flowers. At least you only had to do one clean feature wall. No windows, chimney brests, radiators, etc. Just remember for next time, flat walls and easy paper. ;)

Back
Top Bottom