The £1500 upgrade from Gen 2 i5

Associate
Morning all,

I have been dragging out upgrading my current setup for quite a while now as every time I decide I want to upgrade, I get put off the fact that Intel or AMD are releasing something and I should wait etc or now is not the time to upgrade

Any way the time has come where I would like to experience some decent frame rates and avoid the odd blue screen memory crash when jumping out of the plane on PUBG..

Current PC:
Core i5 2500k @ 4ghz
Corsair 115i CPU cooler
MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
G.Skill Ripjaw 8gb Ram (one 4gig module has issues)
nVidia Palit 1060 6GB
SSD's /HDD
Corsair 1200 PSU
Lian Li Dynamic 11 case

Monitor:
LG 29UM69G

£1500 is my budget for the best improvement and future proofing, ideally I would like to stretch the graphics card out a bit longer but open to suggestions and from what I have read.. a better graphics card will be wasted on my current monitor??
Looking to change the components in bold

Thanks everyone

Soldato
cheapest solution, i7 K second hand and Vega 64 since you've got a freesync screen and should push 75hz/fps nicely at that res

attacking everything with the kitchen sink...

8 cores 16 threads, board , 16gb ram, GPU and 1440p 144hz freesync screen

My basket at Overclockers UK:

then you've got the route of GPU and Screen only combo , pushing up the res and frames with second hand i7 - higher res lower the CPU is put under stress but games like Assassins Creed will show 4 core weakness etc

could go z390 budget board £120 with i5 9600k 6 cores and push 5ghz along with g-sync screen 1080p and keep your card

Soldato
For the little extra it would be to go to a 2700x and 3200mhz RAM is it worth changing slightly, or is it laws of diminishing returns?

could, and then wouldn't have to worry about manually getting the 2700 to 4-4/2ghz all cores and let the AIO and 2700x do its own Auto OC, 3400 is nice jump from 3000hz, tend to find 3200 isn't much of a jump BAR you can land Samsung B-Die which is always better!

Associate
I've been in a similar situation, felt the upgrade itch but went for 2700x (but I did get it for £285 from here when it was on 24 hour sale), also went for the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, which is only a tenner more and seems to have the best VRM's of any B450 chipset. I wasn't really sure on the RAM side, but the Team Group Nighthawk RGB LEGEND was on sale here too at £189 with 14-14-14-31 timings at 3200. Cheaper to get the 8 pack stuff now though.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply's

I am thinking.. 2700x with an Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING

Any recommendations on the Ram modules with this setup?

Associate
I'd look at the reviews for the MSI B450 boards vs the Asus ROG Strix 470 chipsets as unless you need the additional features, you may as well save yourself a bit of cash. I was going to go for a Asus or ASRock board, but the MSI was a lot cheaper and the VRM's are right up there with the best of them from the reviews I've read/seen.

As for RAM, not really sure, but I think 8 pack 3200mhz makes the most sense as they can apparently OC over 4000mhz easily with good timings. Seems like a good idea if I ever plan to put one of the 3xxx or 4xxx chips down the line as I'd like to know I'm covered if faster memory is required or supported through a later BIOS update.

Soldato
Cheers for the reply's

Any recommendations on the Ram modules with this setup?

Go with the R7 2700 to save £50. That Asus board is pretty solid.

As for Ram it depends if you want to pay more for Samsung B Die as they are usually more expensive.

This G.Skill 3200MHz kit is pretty nice though for £149.99. Of course if you want RGB or Samsung B Die then you would want something else.

Total: £158.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Soldato
That's certainly very good motherboard as far as VRM comes, with only step below top level VRM using modern power stage fets.
https://youtu.be/L8T2gzIkw78?t=6m52s
Would make good platform for later upgrades to Zen 2.

I'd look at the reviews for the MSI B450 boards vs the Asus ROG Strix 470 chipsets as unless you need the additional features, you may as well save yourself a bit of cash. I was going to go for a Asus or ASRock board, but the MSI was a lot cheaper and the VRM's are right up there with the best of them from the reviews I've read/seen.
Best of B450 really isn't that much when most B450 mobos have low end to garbage VRM.
Though at least B450 Gaming Pro Carbon has OK-good VRM.
So of course MSI can't include voltage offset into their BIOS settings...
(including expensive X470 mobos)

Associate
Ok to good VRM's should be more than adequate for the power draw on these chips and future ones I'd have thought. Going by the reviews, even the 'garbage' VRMs are fine running a 2700x, just not quite up there in results for OC.

Soldato
@KungFuSpaghetti

think technically the ITX boards have the best VRMs, being Digital IR units but for what they are, cost a lot, but also being 2 slot dimm design would potentially allow high ram speeds due to pathway design

Total: £274.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

sure MSI ITX is the same as well

should see B550/X570 pushing phase count again, since now 5+2 doubled has become standard with z390 for £120 mark , design lessons will be passed down etc :)

Associate
Jebus… price on that strix :O

I think any of the modern B450/x470 should be okay to run the next couple of gens of chips providing they have decent VRM cooling, think it's the B350's that will struggle, especially the lower tier ones without even any VRM heatsinks.

Soldato
Jebus… price on that strix :O

I think any of the modern B450/x470 should be okay to run the next couple of gens of chips providing they have decent VRM cooling, think it's the B350's that will struggle, especially the lower tier ones without even any VRM heatsinks.

If you watch Buildzoid B450 VRM video on Youtube there doesn't seem to be that many 'Good' B450 boards VRM wise. The MSI Pro Carbon AC mentioned above is pretty decent but the majority are pretty bad/average.

I don't claim to know a great deal about VRM design etc but it is a pretty good video to watch nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom