***The Official Guitar Thread***

Associate
Wonder if anyone can help me? Looking to buy an electric guitar, but thanks to health insurance, car insurance and equivalent M.O.T funds have taken a bit of a hit. Would be looking to spend under £500.

Guitars I have owned/still own back home include:

Gibson SG Special
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez XPT700
Godin Velocity

Do like the Ibanez low action and reasonable pick ups in their mid range stuff. Would be playing mostly solo stuff (think Satriani etc), so would want something with a meaty tone and will also play some heavier stuff from time to time.

I have been away from my guitars for nearly 6 years now and took up acoustic instead as housing over here doesn't tend to lend itself to making a lot of noise. If anyone has any suggestions of a decent amp as well (20/30w maybe) or preferably a set up I could play through a good pair of headphones, that would be great.

Soldato
Wonder if anyone can help me? Looking to buy an electric guitar, but thanks to health insurance, car insurance and equivalent M.O.T funds have taken a bit of a hit. Would be looking to spend under £500.

Hmm for that kinda money and given the guitars you've already got (which you may oneday re-unite with) I suggest grabbing a cheaper-end Tele, either a Mexican Fender or one of the more reputable Squier's like the Classic Vibe, and then swap out the bridge pickup for something like a little '59... that'll give you maximum versatility if it's going to be your only guitar for the time being. As for the amp if you want something really cheap, cheerful and quiet look at something like the Blackstar Fly 3 or the Marshall Mini-Stack... they'll never stand up to a proper amp but are reasonable for the price and you could use headphones with them

Caporegime
That has got some pretty impressive reviews. Would be good to not actually have an amp at the moment as I’m pushed for space.

How would that be hooked up to the PC? Just standard cable with 1/4” to 3.5mm adapter?

Its now gone up to $79 :(

could have got it for £20 when I posted

You need a sound card with Di input and you just run it standalone. :)

The latest amp sims are now night and day from what was around just last year..the technology has really moved on.

Associate
Its now gone up to $79 :(

could have got it for £20 when I posted

You need a sound card with Di input and you just run it standalone. :)

The latest amp sims are now night and day from what was around just last year..the technology has really moved on.

Don’t even have the PC rig yet, so would rather put it on next years tab.

Any recommendations for sound card? There’s some pretty pricey ones floating around. :eek:

Caporegime
Don’t even have the PC rig yet, so would rather put it on next years tab.

Any recommendations for sound card? There’s some pretty pricey ones floating around. :eek:

Depends how many inputs you want?

If you just need say one mic and one di input then this

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id4/overview/

I have the ID 22 and its incredible for the price. And Ive try sound cards costing three times a s much. UK based company thats uses its console pre amps in all its audio interfaces.

UId0RVZ.png

Associate
Soldato
I've got the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 but never used it for music stuff (so far!) - bought it years ago when the wife and I briefly had a go at doing a Youtube channel but doesn't really get much use anymore, should really try and get it going to see what I can do with it with my guitars etc.

Associate
No problem.

Check out my Studio Thread...I know what I'm talking about :p

Here

You lucky duck, that set up looks phenomenal.

I have so much on my want to buy list that it’s hard putting it in to any sort of order. I’m finally settling in a house for at least a year, possibly two which is why I’ve even considered diving back in to the PC and electric guitar market.

Would love to have my PGM sent over maybe, but not sure it would be a) financially viable and b) would actually make the trip unharmed.

Caporegime
I know everybody is different and I've had suicidal tendencies since 1988 but my music gets me through it.
I'm already in two bands and ready to join a 3rd on keyboards/guitar.

I’m glad for you...sometimes I’m embarrassed and beat myself up by just not being able to use the space for months on end :(

Associate
I'd happily come round for a jam, but bit of a journey. Getting dark here around 4 now, so plenty of nights huddled by the kero heater with the ol' acoustic for me.

Any of you guys like Andy James? His new album "Arrival" came out recently and it's a massive step up from his previous work. He is a shredder, so not everyone's cup of tea, but it's very tasteful. '85 being my favourite track.

Soldato
Hello all, this has probably already been asked but what modern resources are there to help a complete beginner take up the guitar? I've heard of yousician is it any good?

I have an acoustic Squire guitar which I've had since the early 2000's played for a while didn't get particularly good and haven't really touched it in the last 14 years! I'd like to have another bash at it!

Back
Top Bottom