Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
Any good ? I was wondering if the tahoes are decent ?

Depends what you want really. The Tahoe is big,spacious, V8-powered, comfy, softly-sprung, cheaply built (especially the plastics), but importantly, all American! :cool:

The one we had had nav built in which was a bonus. Most of the infotainment and controls were related to those on the Insignia I had at the time - nice and easy for me.

A Suburban is the longer version, but you only need that if you have more than 5 people in the vehicle.

If you rent something in that category do hold out for a Tahoe as the Ford equivalent is rubbish.

Soldato
Tahoe from Alamo last year until it got broken into and then swapped out for an Expedition which as alluded to was junk, but looks like the new one is a massive step up although the Ford Sync was pretty good.

Soldato
We got an Expedition from Avis. We did over 8000 miles in it in a month and didn't have a problem with it. It did try to blow itself up when it changed down to overtake people though.

I'd want one of the new Navigators over an Escalade too although I doubt any rental companies will have those.

Soldato
Oh when I say junk that's a very exaggerated term. It did the 2200miles or so just fine. But the tahoe was a far better place inside from a comfort, noise and refinement perspective and had mostly better toys. The expedition had cooling seats, electric fold down rear seats and a proper plug which were the highlights.

Man of Honour
OP
No just on a UK driving licence. It was about $250 dollars for 100 miles in the m4 and similar for 300 miles in the camaro so not terrible consider they were a 2018 and 1
2017 car respectively.

You don't think $250 for 300 miles in a Camaro is terrible?!! You can rent one for days with unlimited mileage for less!!

Soldato
What are the best sites to look for car rental in Los Angeles? I'm going in May for a 15 day round trip and would like a mustang (or similar? Corvette?)

I heard it was best waiting till closer to the time? Should I still wait?

Unfortunately the exchange rate seems to have got worse altho brexit won't see it any better before May I think..

Anything else I need to look out for for insurances etc?

Seen I can get a concertible mustang on kayak for £37 a day (£555 total). Seem good? It's from gorentalcars.com which has very mixed/poor r reviews so I may need to give that a miss..

Can anyone recommend a sim card to use whilst there? (for Google maps, phone browsing etc?) I'm willing to pay for that rather than satnav particularly if they're as good/not too far off in cost?

Last edited:
Associate
What are the best sites to look for car rental in Los Angeles? I'm going in May for a 15 day round trip and would like a mustang (or similar? Corvette?)

I heard it was best waiting till closer to the time? Should I still wait?

Unfortunately the exchange rate seems to have got worse altho brexit won't see it any better before May I think..

Anything else I need to look out for for insurances etc?

Seen I can get a concertible mustang on kayak for £37 a day (£555 total). Seem good? It's from gorentalcars.com which has very mixed/poor r reviews so I may need to give that a miss..

Can anyone recommend a sim card to use whilst there? (for Google maps, phone browsing etc?) I'm willing to pay for that rather than satnav particularly if they're as good/not too far off in cost?

We went with Avis and they were pretty good (even though our mustang broke down after 2 miles!) we rented from San Francisco and dropped it off at LA. all insurances were included in the cost which was nice! i would recommend them!

Back
Top Bottom