so many choices @ 2tb?

Soldato
quick question folks - i've not looked at hdd's since the days of the sammy f3's so no idea what the score is quality/reliability wise.

i want to retire my current disks (2 x 500gb ~8 years old) nothing much important on them just some pics and rarely played steam games (500gb ssd for my active games)

i went to look at what was available in the 2tb range and between WD's rainbow selection (red, black, blue and whatever else they have) and other manufactureres i got a sore head. so i ask the good folks on here what is good/bad/indifferent!?

Soldato
OP
Look at price per GB because I'd say go for 4tb. Red is for Nas, black for performance, purple for cameras, blue for desktop. Gold for enterprise
mind if ask why the different drives for different applications? the only ones i can guess at are Black = fastest so 7200rpm+ and Gold = reliability?
i get the £/gb but in truth i can't imagine i'd ever get near to 4tb of storage, neither of the 2 x 500gbs are even close to being full, probably ~70% (give or take)

Backblaze report drive failure rates. Here's their latest. Toshiba and HGST are the most reliable.
cheers for that

Wouldn't class Toshiba as reliable yet - there isn't a large enough pool of data. 191 drives between them, vs the thousands of other manufacturers.
i don't think toshiba even made hdd's the last time i was looking or if they did no one paid them any attention (at least i don't ever recall seeing them when i was picking the f3's)

Soldato
mind if ask why the different drives for different applications? the only ones i can guess at are Black = fastest so 7200rpm+ and Gold = reliability?
i get the £/gb but in truth i can't imagine i'd ever get near to 4tb of storage, neither of the 2 x 500gbs are even close to being full, probably ~70% (give or take)

I think they're just slightly tailored for that application, whether it's firmware or hardware, that's been designed for that particular application.

For a NAS, I'd get Red.

Personally, I just bought a couple of IronWolf Pros for my father's NAS.

For home use, just get a decent branded, cheap 2TB model.

Barracuda will be fine, for example :)

Soldato
OP
Soldato
What about this
main-qimg-7d7b5b96d81e0edb705d8c5774968b08-c

Soldato
TBH any from Seagate, WD, Toshiba or HGST will be fine, if it's in a desktop I would say either a Seagate Barracuda as suggested or WD Blue (Black if you want the extra performance) will be absolutely fine.

Back
Top Bottom