Got a refund from paypal but PSN said no

Soldato
As the titles says.

Long story short, my first experience of kids buying stuff they shouldn't.

We had a party at ours Saturday, a few of the kids were playing fornite. Didn't realise my paypal account was still linked, they purchased fornite.

Long story short, contacted paypal to say unauthorised payment on account and playstation. Playstation came back and said:

As you might know, the content purchased is additional downloadable content (DLC) which expands the base game experience. In this case, the DLC has been provided for use with Fortnite and was activated when it was downloaded. Because of this, we can't offer a refund on this occasion. For future reference, you'll find details of our cancellation and refund policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

Followed by paypal saying and refunding the money back into my bank account:
Dear t

We've determined the payment(s) in question were unauthorised and have refunded the full amount.

Here are the transaction details:

But i still have the game in fornite... Whats likely to happen here? I'm concerned that fornite will just shut down my whole account, but i have spent money there with the season passes etc?

Man of Honour
If you reversed a transaction a good chance your whole Playstation account will be suspended.

Unless you can provide evidence a 3rd party misused your account (i.e. they can see out of region IP tied to the transaction) they likely won't re-activate it either - if the unauthorised payment was on a device under your care good luck with that they will usually expect the outstanding balance to be settled before they will take any other action.

Soldato
So you reported a transaction that was authorised and claimed it wasnt? Your account will rightly be banned.

You can open another with a different email address yes.

Soldato
OP
I reported a transaction that was unauthorised.... I contacted paypal and PSN. Paypal refunded me before PSN said no.

I'm sure this has happened before... Will prob just open a new account as i dont use the PS4 at all. We'll see... If i've gotta pay it I will.

Bit harsh if they just ban people without any chance of redemption.

Soldato
Yeah it's standard policy. I did the same when my account was compromised and they purchased about £200 worth of stuff in a minute. Took two weeks to get my account back.

Soldato
It's not unauthorized if it was bought on your signed in account in your own home... It's just careless.

New account time.

By definition, it is.

But it is fairly easy to argue that the OP acted in a negligent manner, and is therefore not protected. Most banks include a negligence clause when defining an unauthorized transaction.

PayPal are fairly unique in not considering negligence. They define an unauthorized transaction as:

"Any payment made from a debit or credit card, bank account or PayPal account without the account owner’s permission."

Last edited:
Soldato
By definition, it is.

But it is fairly easy to argue that the OP acted in a negligent manner, and is therefore not protected. Most banks include a negligence clause when defining an unauthorized transaction.

PayPal are fairly unique in not considering negligence. They define an unauthorized transaction as:

"Any payment made from a debit or credit card, bank account or PayPal account without the account owner’s permission."

I'm talking from a purely PSN perspective. If you leave your account open and someone spends on it then it tough luck. He got lucky it was linked by PayPal who are easy but I imagine PSN won't be happy.

He may get lucky again you never know :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty sure PS can ban your console from PSN if you start doing things like this. Gumtree has loads on consoles that are banned from the service and you simply can’t use them online. The account you use is irrelevant.

Soldato
Pretty sure PS can ban your console from PSN if you start doing things like this. Gumtree has loads on consoles that are banned from the service and you simply can’t use them online. The account you use is irrelevant.
I think they only ban consoles if you exploit the firmware.

Soldato
If you care about the account, contact Sony once it has been banned and they will unban it once you repay the amount that has been reclaimed by Paypal. You then need to pursue Sony directly if you want to try and refund the money properly without having your account banned. Making a noise on social media seems to work for some people.

If you don't care then make a new account and move on.

Soldato
OP
I'm talking from a purely PSN perspective. If you leave your account open and someone spends on it then it tough luck. He got lucky it was linked by PayPal who are easy but I imagine PSN won't be happy.

He may get lucky again you never know :p

So you're saying "the finders keepers" logic is fair game. I'm pretty sure if you find cash and fail to report it its a crime?

I find it shocking that we as consumers always stick up for these multi national corps... "Oooooo your fault for using your playstation for years and someone else absuing your settings" logic.

Soldato
OP
If you care about the account, contact Sony once it has been banned and they will unban it once you repay the amount that has been reclaimed by Paypal. You then need to pursue Sony directly if you want to try and refund the money properly without having your account banned. Making a noise on social media seems to work for some people.

If you don't care then make a new account and move on.

I have done... They have flat out refused to pay as they say "in game purchase".

Looks like my account is offline now anyways, but i can still access all my purchases.... Happy with that **** Sony.

Soldato
So you're saying "the finders keepers" logic is fair game. I'm pretty sure if you find cash and fail to report it its a crime?

I find it shocking that we as consumers always stick up for these multi national corps... "Oooooo your fault for using your playstation for years and someone else absuing your settings" logic.

But..it is though. Payment methods should be secured and the ps4 allows you to do that by requiring a password at checkout. Its not sonys fault if you choose not to do that.

Soldato
OP
But..it is though. Payment methods should be secured and the ps4 allows you to do that by requiring a password at checkout. Its not sonys fault if you choose not to do that.

No it doesn't..... I've not used paypal to buy something from the app store since 2016. A kid at my party was playing on it and clicked "ok" to purchase, no password, 3 numbers at the back.... Nothing. One click purchase i didn't even know was possible.

Again, so you're saying by that logic if left £50 on the table you'd take it and say "sorry you should have kept it safe, you're not having your money back. Your fault!".

Soldato
Unauthorised means someone or something outside of your control made the transaction. But the kids were under your control. You just forgot to de-link your paypal account before letting them on it.

Back
Top Bottom