do you leave your computer switched on 24/7

Permabanned
i have found that my overclock is 100% if i leave my pc on all the time.
been on holiday for 2 weeks and this time i decided to turn it off and my pc was unstable.

discuss.

Soldato
No, why would you.

Do you also leave your tv and heating on 24/7?

What about your taps, why not leave them running so you dont have to change the temperature to your liking every time

Man of Honour
Nope - though I do usually have a low powered Atom device on all the time and some server/NAS hardware that is always on but low power (~40watt total idle including the networking devices like switches).

RJC

RJC

Don
I tend to put mine to sleep if I think I may still need to use the PC again, but once I have finished the is switched off.

Soldato
Yep, stays on 24/7 and goes to sleep after 30 mins. I reboot it maybe once every 2 weeks.

No, why would you.

Do you also leave your tv and heating on 24/7?

What about your taps, why not leave them running so you dont have to change the temperature to your liking every time
Because they're reasonable comparisons ;)

Similar to this:

Soldato
I used to, as I was running about half a dozen servers on it. I ended up buying dedicated hardware for that (low power), so my desktop goes to sleep after 30 minutes. I just send a magic packet (WoL) if I need to access it remotely. Win/win. It's surprising just how energy efficient things are these days. We, a family of 5, only pay 20 a week (on average, we pay monthly) for gas and electricity combined. The smart meter shows that with all my servers, edge router, firewall, PC and laptop, fish tanks and external filters, TV etc running we're consuming between 3p and 4p an hour. Amazing really.

Soldato
Mine's on 24/7 but it should go to sleep after 30 mins of inactivity, but it seems to only work occasionally.

Reason being I could be downloading/updating something, shared network drives for films/music/photos although I'm planning on moving it all over to a Raspi mini nas asap.

Back
Top Bottom