Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Soldato
It's my GOTY too. Can't think of anything still to be released that has a chance of topping it. Smash Bros, maybe. But it's a different proposition; I'll still be playing Smash years down the line.

Only thing I'm glum about is that's probably it for this era (for now at least). I'd love to see them tackle the Roman Empire, but it seems most likely that the next game will be Japan for the PS5 and next Xbox.

Associate
Not played this since release of red dead. So cant wait to get back to this now i have completed that. got to say again, this game tops Red dead in so many ways. So much more enjoyable to play and explore! Hopefully i have not forgot too much about the story in the last two weeks lol

Associate
Been playing this loads tonight. Took me a while to get back into it again; got to Athens and just need to level up before I attempt the level 17 quest.

RDR2 needs HDR badly; not gonna play it till it gets patched as games just look totally flat and one dimensional without it. AC visuals blow it away due to the quality hdr. The different tones of dark and light and the contrast at night is superb. Love the way the lights look in the distance shimmering away. HDR was a game changer for visuals but it ruined none hdr games for me.

Caporegime
Shame the events don't work for everyone, there was one last week for an epic pirate ship and the quest just disappeared from my log and couldn't be picked up again. Standard Ubisoft bug fare.

Great game though.

Associate
I’m a long way off this and played about 27 hours now. Just looking for quests to level up to 16 so I can attempt the level 17 story quest. The water in the afternoon looks stunning in this game. So vibrant.

Caporegime
Returning to this after playing RDR2 is so satisfying, the graphics, the controls, the world etc it's just more pleasant to play.

I finished the story a couple of weeks ago but coming back as there's still loads to do. Fair play to Ubisoft keeping the content coming as well.

Soldato
I'm not a huge series fan. I played 1 and 2 then dipped in and out but never really stuck with it since. With origins, I believed it when people said it had really changed etc however about 10 hours or so in I started noticing all the bits I didn't like in the past games creeping back into it. Be it clunky menus, controls etc.

Is this one actually better? I see a fair amount of praise for it and I'm not one to just write a game off without trying it for myself first. But in the back of my mind I'm already imagining it will play out like origins did for me. Hard to tell

Soldato
90% of the game is the same as Origins so if you didn't enjoy that I'd say you are unlikely to enjoy this one. Most of the improvements are pretty minor, they add up but they don't fundamentally change the nature of the game.

Soldato
Ahh Ok thanks guys. It's a shame as I do love the setting. Can't really put my finger on what I really disliked about origins but it didn't hold my attention.

I was under the impression this one was a vast improvement on that one, my bad thanks for clearing that up! I shall hold off I think.

Associate
Ahh Ok thanks guys. It's a shame as I do love the setting. Can't really put my finger on what I really disliked about origins but it didn't hold my attention.

I was under the impression this one was a vast improvement on that one, my bad thanks for clearing that up! I shall hold off I think.

I was one that found Origins a bit of a drag, although I may return to it at some point as the end game is apparently better.

However, I can hand on heart say I absolutely love Odyssey! I am trying to smash through RDR2 now to go back to this. I doubt RDR2 online is going to keep me pinned to it... GTA online was never my cuppa except the heists etc.

Honestly think I prefer Odyssey over RDR2 and for me, Odyssey is GOTY.

Shawrey

Caporegime

I loved Origins so picking up Odyssey was a no brainer despite my initial reservations about it looking like a reskin (of which parts definitely are, in some instances a complete rip off, but hey it's the same developer/engine :p )

It's not a vast improvement but I do think it's a better game, the fundamentals however are the same. For example if certain things annoyed you about Origins they will almost certainly annoy you in Odyssey.

Soldato
I loved Origins so picking up Odyssey was a no brainer despite my initial reservations about it looking like a reskin (of which parts definitely are, in some instances a complete rip off, but hey it's the same developer/engine :p )

It's not a vast improvement but I do think it's a better game, the fundamentals however are the same. For example if certain things annoyed you about Origins they will almost certainly annoy you in Odyssey.

I do like that it's more of an RPG than it has been in the past. But I appreciate the honesty in that the annoyances remain intact :(

Soldato
I was one that found Origins a bit of a drag, although I may return to it at some point as the end game is apparently better.

However, I can hand on heart say I absolutely love Odyssey! I am trying to smash through RDR2 now to go back to this. I doubt RDR2 online is going to keep me pinned to it... GTA online was never my cuppa except the heists etc.

Honestly think I prefer Odyssey over RDR2 and for me, Odyssey is GOTY.

Shawrey

This is really interesting and in turn is making me think I could enjoy it.. damn ;)

I'm enjoying red dead but the more I play, the more the little frustrations are becoming more apparent. Loving the story though so far.
Whats the story like here, and does it retain the present day aspect?

Associate
This is really interesting and in turn is making me think I could enjoy it.. damn ;)

I'm enjoying red dead but the more I play, the more the little frustrations are becoming more apparent. Loving the story though so far.
Whats the story like here, and does it retain the present day aspect?

There are only minor 'present day' parts. Namely at the beginning where you choose who you want to be Alexios or Kassandra (Kassandra is canon for the accompanying fictional book but makes no physical difference) and how extreme the experience is going to be in the animus (in other words difficulty settings and map pointers etc). There's a small break to present day mid-game but nothing of any real note. 98% of what you do is in the Odyssey.

Dialogue is scripted well and the story is one that actually interested me - settings aside.

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom